Cayman Islands Hoops Classic

zippy5

5 hours ago, LZIp said:

Yes. We'll play GA (who just hired Tom Crean) or Illinois State in the 2nd round.

Didn't see that they hired Crean - good hire. Either team is a plus in my eyes - Georgia with the name recognition/SEC factor, Illinois State with the solid mid-major resume/@Illini Zip factor. GREAT tournament all around - location, field, and who we actually play. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Let'sGoZips94 said:

Didn't see that they hired Crean - good hire. Either team is a plus in my eyes - Georgia with the name recognition/SEC factor, Illinois State with the solid mid-major resume/@Illini Zip factor. GREAT tournament all around - location, field, and who we actually play. 

Yes Let'sGoZips94, I am thinking I would really enjoy attending this one. And it's the Cayman Islands in November. The gears are smoking.

2 hours ago, Z.I.P. said:

Yep -- you guys love to travel!  I remember what a great time you had at the Diamond Head Classic last year.  Or am I growing senile?  ?

My wife and I were at the Diamond Head classic in 2013.  We did not go last year.  Your right I love to travel to the holiday tournaments.  

• Like 1

• 3 months later...

Anyone else on here planning on attending this?  Looks like we are going to make this trip to Cayman Islands.  If you arrange this through the university you fly down with the St. Bonaventure team but leave from Erie, Pennsylvania airport.

I've never gone on a charter flight like this or traveled with the team.  Anyone have some thoughts/insight on how this works?

Edited by NWAkron

You will meet at the JAR and travel by bus to Erie. UA is sharing the charter with St Bonnie. When you arrive in Grand Cayman there will be transportation provided to get you to and from the airport, games and all other organized events. There will be a team dinner at some point. When you arrive back in Erie you will be bussed back to the JAR. You will be able to leave you car parked at the JAR for the time you are away. I have traveled with the team on many occasions and it is a blast. Lots of interaction with the players and staff. I will be there and so will ZZZips. 

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
8 minutes ago, Illini Zip said:

I believe that's the free streaming service from Facebook. They used it to broadcast several Facebook-only MLB games this summer, including (annoyingly) multiple Indians games. It will look good on one of my monitors at work. :rock:

Clemson is ranked and is a very talented team, but looking at their schedule I'm not that impressed. They've played 3 bottom feeders and they haven't pounded them like you'd expect a top 25 team to do. Sam Houston State is 2-3 and was only down 2 heading into half-time. Hopefully Akron finds a way to hang around and puts itself in a position to have an opportunity to win late.

image.png

Edited by kreed5120
  • Like 1

12 minutes ago, kreed5120 said:

Clemson is ranked and is a very talented team, but looking at their schedule I'm not that impressed. They've played 3 bottom feeders and they haven't pounded them like you'd expect a top 25 team to do. Sam Houston State is 2-3 and was only down 2 heading into half-time. Hopefully Akron finds a way to hang around and puts itself in a position to have an opportunity to win late.

image.png

Our margin against similar-level opponents is way more impressive. 

Clemson always seems ripe for an upset. I can't wait for 11am - 1 hr 58 minutes!