Cayman Islands Hoops Classic

zippy5

A 3 pt. loss to the #16 team in the country while shooting 43% with 15 turnovers is impressive. 

I'm not a participation trophy person, but in the 2nd year of Groce with a 75% roster remodeling in the off-season, I'll take this loss. Well done. Played hard, belonged on the court, and quite frankly, a bucket here & there, and you win - maybe even somewhat handily. 

Edited by Let'sGoZips94
New AP Poll - Clemson Now #16
  • Like 5

When I went on facebook and tried to stream I got directed to a site that asked for my credit card.  I was wary and then watched it from Zips Nation.  Did anyone else  have to sign up with a credit card to get the stream.

I only saw about half of the second half but I thought the Zips looked good except for giving up too many offensive rebounds.  We need to be more physical under the boards. 

A couple of observations:

First, I will take a 3 point loss to #19. Winning is better, but this is a good sign for the season.

Second, if only Jackson had taken that layup. Might have been a different ending.

Should have played Klac and Sayles more. They were a better matchup. Needed the height and bulk of Klac, he was good the short time he played. Sayles has that defensive stretch we really needed. Center is still a weakness against a beast like Thomas.

This was the first outing against real competition for this team. It took a while to gel, but they acquitted themselves well. I expect some wins in this tournament, we barely lost to the best team.

And no, there were NO issues in the broadcast for me. I have a Samsung Smart TV with the facebook live app, and it was the best Zips hoops stream I ever saw, every bit as good as live HDTV.

4 minutes ago, Blue & Gold said:

Agree.  We loosened up & warmed up offensively in the 2nd half.  (So did Clemson, however.)  We needed Utomi to hit a couple more of his 3's.

The player I would have liked to see more out of was Ivey. He finished with 4 points, 3 boars, 3 assists, and 4 turnovers. He honestly might be our best rebounder, which we certainly could have used more of, and we can normally count on him to get 10 a night. It just didn't feel he had the impact today that he normally does.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, kreed5120 said:

The player I would have liked to see more out of was Ivey. He finished with 4 points, 3 boars, 3 assists, and 4 turnovers. He honestly might be our best rebounder, which we certainly could have used more of, and we can normally count on him to get 10 a night. It just didn't feel he had the impact today that he normally does.

Ivey and Utomi were both off their game. We probably can not win without both of them making a major contribution.

3 hours ago, LZIp said:

What's kind of cool about watching on facebook is you can see the # of people viewing. 318 right now for the pregame talk.

Noticed the same thing earlier watching a women’s soccer match on YouTube, and you could write comments

One of you guys mentioned after the ChiState game that these guys look like they like each other, and it showed again today.  They looked like they’ve known each other longer than they have, and they look like they are having fun, playing this type of B-Ball....IMHO

I was able to watch the 2nd half and it was crystal clear for me. Turned off the comments and it made for great viewing on one of my extra monitors.

As for the game, I'm not one for moral victories; a loss is a loss. But I'm pretty encouraged. Not gonna go up against many big guys like that. Their second chances in the second half were the difference in my opinion. We played pretty decent D, but couldn't come down with the rebound about half the time once we cut it to 7 or 8 down the stretch. Those hurt. Jackson is a gamer. Cheese has a little Duvivier in him. This will be a good team.

• Like 1

Agree with most of what everyone is saying. Not gonna be many games where Utomi and Ivey were off as much as they were today. Pleased with Jackson. Riak may not be able to handle these big guys playing for upper level competition, but hopefully he will be able to make his presence known in the paint in MAC play.

Clemson was a Sweet 16 team last year and returned 4 of 5 starters, who are all 5th year seniors. We were down about 15 at one point and fought back and made it a game rather than getting blown out. Let's go 2-1 in this thing! Also, i'll post the link for the game tomorrow as well for those who had trouble today. Should be at 11am.

Edited by LZIp

Unless Illinois State has a massive 2nd half comeback, it looks like that's who we'll be facing tomorrow. I'm not sure what to make of them. They beat FGCU who are normally a pretty solid mid major, but narrowly escaped a Chi State team that we beat by 40.

image.png

Edited by kreed5120