A few years ago, Zips' Athletic Department deemed it wise to eliminate the position of Director Of Operations, Soccer.

Chiselers. 

Amateurs.

They seemingly cannot recognize real quality, right in their own Athletic Department. 

So, it is not as though Chad Barson could have been hired by U of Akron.

Not at that position, anyway.

Buckeyes are poised to dramatically change the trajectory of that program. 

This will not be your fathers' OSU Soccer.

Be advised, Zips' fan.

Congratulations, Chad!

• 3 weeks later...

has anyone heard directly, or can venture a guess...why has Chad decided to return to soccer...after deciding not to play professionally...to go into coaching?  I always considered one of the most underrated Akron defenders ever!

8 hours ago, Z.I.P. said:

has anyone heard directly, or can venture a guess...why has Chad decided to return to soccer...after deciding not to play professionally...to go into coaching?  I always considered one of the most underrated Akron defenders ever!

CrewSC didn't re-sign Chad and he couldn't find another MLS club to sign him. I'm not sure of his prospects in USL. He played in Sweden for a season. So, I think his decision came down to finding a job in soccer or other, returning to Europe (maybe, but I don't know his situation with his club in Sweden), or trying out at various playing levels in the USA. I don't know but suspect he tried various of these and the one that fit him best was an offer to coach for the BIG school nearby. Given that he's getting married in December, I would think that he was looking for some stability. His fiancee graduated from that BIG school, by the way. So, I'm sure she's happy to stay in the area, too.

• Thanks 1