Finish The Climb

Dr Z

This Monday all the players will receive their new wristbands with this years motto "Finish The Climb," meaning win the MAC. 

climb.jpg

You may see coaches and seniors wearing these pins. Three Wagon Wheel pins, two bowl pins, and an east champion pin. One missing, the Mac Championship. These signify the accomplishments of the seniors so far. 

hat.jpg

Charlie Frye has returned to Akron as a special assistant. The staff is still waiting on some sort of paperwork to make a full coaching announcement. I'm sorry I can give more details. 

Brian Bell has moved inside to the mike linebacker, Ulysees has moved outside to sam. Speaking with coach Stroud "I wanted to take advantage of Gilbert's speed and athleticism." When I asked coach Bowden about it, he listed both their size and weight as one of the reasons for the change. I'll try to get comments from both when summer camp starts. With the emphasis on versatility at this position in the NFL, I think this is a great move for Ulysses. 

Coach Bowden seemed excited about what is to come in the running game this year. "I would like to average closer to 175 yards per game this year." If you are going to play wide receiver this year for the Zips, you better be prepared to do some blocking. The staff is looking for a couple of the younger guys to step it up this summer. I keep hearing Van Edwards has really had a great off season. If you remember in a earlier thread Deltron told me in the spring he was eight-five percent healthy, he is expected to be full go for summer. 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 3

Kobie Booker has quit school and football. Nine out of ten times that would be terrible news, but it makes room for Maverick Wolfley to get immediate playing time. Maverick rules.

Travonte Junius has hung up the cleats. Injuries played a big part in the decision.

There is a good chance that Jonah Morris will be immediately eligible to play due to the medical hardship affecting his family. The NCAA has become increasingly more player-friendly in their eligibility rulings. Morris’s 6’ 4”  205 lb frame and experience are expected to be a huge addition to an otherwise very small and inexperienced WR corp.

Beautiful day for golf, and a blast as always. More fans should take advantage of the event. It never disappoints!

• Like 3
  • Thanks 3

7 hours ago, Captain Kangaroo said:

Kobie Booker has quit school and football. Nine out of ten times that would be terrible news, but it makes room for Maverick Wolfley to get immediate playing time. Maverick rules.

Travonte Junius has hung up the cleats. Injuries played a big part in the decision.

There is a good chance that Jonah Morris will be immediately eligible to play due to the medical hardship affecting his family. The NCAA has become increasingly more player-friendly in their eligibility rulings. Morris’s 6’ 4”  205 lb frame and experience are expected to be a huge addition to an otherwise very small and inexperienced WR corp.

Beautiful day for golf, and a blast as always. More fans should take advantage of the event. It never disappoints!

Good info Cap'n. That's too bad to hear about Booker. Does that mean Morris is going to have 3 years of eligibility if he doesn't have to sit?

Edited by LZIp

5 minutes ago, LZIp said:

Good info Cap'n. That's too bad to hear about Booker. Does that mean Morris is going to have 3 years of eligibility if he doesn't have to sit?

He has 3 years either way, he was red shirted & than his redshirt freshman year was made a safety & never seen the field

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Zipmeister said:

Would be great if "special assistant" turned into "offensive coordinator and quarterback coach" so that we had one with a clue.

Amen brother! That would be great news :bow:  :thumb:

11 hours ago, 94zipgrad said:

He has 3 years either way, he was red shirted & than his redshirt freshman year was made a safety & never seen the field

Thanks. I guess I knew he had 3 years, but I didn't know if it would be 3 on the field eligible years. Being that he redshirted at IU then it looks like we are getting 3 years on the field (hopefully!).

Edited by LZIp

We may have a Gronkowski type of target in Wolfley. I hope Kato listens to Frye. I think one of our true Frosh running backs are going to make a difference this year. OL will be good. We badly need Morris (could he become another Marquelo Suel from 2012?). Defense is going to be OK, but will get chewed up in most of our OOC play. When a team gets hype about their punter it is usually a bad sign (no one else to mention), but hoping we are the exception in 2018.      

Edited by UA1987

15 hours ago, UA1987 said:

We may have a Gronkowski type of target in Wolfley. I hope Kato listens to Frye. I think one of our true Frosh running backs are going to make a difference this year. OL will be good. We badly need Morris (could he become another Marquelo Suel from 2012?). Defense is going to be OK, but will get chewed up in most of our OOC play. When a team gets hype about their punter it is usually a bad sign (no one else to mention), but hoping we are the exception in 2018.      

I think you are too casual in assessing the performance/roductivity of our OL. They have not been good for 3 years and the rebuild that they are undergoing now does not give any indication that they are ready to blow any DL out of the way. They will need at least a year to gel. That leaves this year in serious question. But I like your optimism.

10 hours ago, 72 Roo said:

I think you are too casual in assessing the performance/roductivity of our OL. They have not been good for 3 years and the rebuild that they are undergoing now does not give any indication that they are ready to blow any DL out of the way. They will need at least a year to gel. That leaves this year in serious question. But I like your optimism.

You are still basing your opinion of Akron's line play based on our running attack last year after we lost Ball and Sands. Our line play wasn't bad at all in 2017, we just lost two good running backs to injuries. We've already discussed that months ago with others commenting along side. We continue to build the line with good talent and I think Ekkens is doing a very good job. It's good to be optimistic at this time of the year, but our schedule is very strong. It's going to take a lot of surprises to Finish The Climb this year, but as always, I'm all in.         

• Like 1

• 2 months later...