2018-2019 Non Conference Schedule

• 5 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I'm sure this will start a debate, but pretty meh if you ask me with Cedarville, Chicago St, Alabama St, and Carnegie Mellon. Looking forward to Nevada, the Caymans (which will likely make it better), and Marshall @ home.  Seems to be some high quality teams then some low quality teams without really anything in the middle.

https://spark.adobe.com/page/BDRKox0VBTUSe/

Edited by LZIp

2 hours ago, LZIp said:

I'm sure this will start a debate, but pretty meh if you ask me with Cedarville, Chicago St, Alabama St, and Carnegie Mellon. Looking forward to Nevada, the Caymans (which will likely make it better), and Marshall @ home.  Seems to be some high quality teams then some low quality teams without really anything in the middle.

Strong schedule in my opinion. I'm assuming Cedarville is an exhibition? Regardless, Nevada, Marshall, Clemson, and that second Cayman Islands game are awesome. Strong 4 games there. And for the second year in a row, we don't have Lipscomb or a NCAlphabetSoup school on our schedule - dreams do come true. 

4 hours ago, LZIp said:

No, I'm with you. Marshall and Fort Wayne are the only games I'm remotely interested in. There might be a surprise somewhere, but I don't expect any of the other games to be competitive.

If you think this schedule is in any way better than anything we've seen in the last 10+ years, I don't know what to tell you.

Cedarville D2, 13-14 9th/12 in conf

YSU 8-24 9th/10 Horizon

Chicago St 3-29, Last in WAC

Clemson (tournament) 24-10 4th/15 ACC

Alabama St 8-23 7th/10 SWAC

Detroit 8-24 Last in Horizon

IPFW 18-15 4th/8 Summit League

Marshall 24-10 4th/14 CUSA

Tenn St 15-15, 6th/12 OVC

Nevada 29-8, 1st MWC

Carnegie Mellon 7-18, Last UAA D3

The argument made on this board was that our schedule was never good enough to get a sniff at an at large. This one isn't either. Not even close. There's two lower division games, and the best home game we have is a series that's been going for a few years already (Marshall). I'm disappointed. I hope we win every game, but what a disappointing schedule.

To be honest, I think we'll just complain about the schedule no matter what. There are 2 sweet 16 teams on there from last year. and some other good teams in the Cayman classic.  Marshall won a game in the NCAA IIRC. I don't like the creampuffs, but they seem to be strategically scheduled before bigger games..which I guess makes sense. Expecting to see some "perfect" OOC schedule just might be too picky.

• Thanks 1

The argument made was that, as an established mid-major, the next step was never taken in scheduling to increase our odds at taking that next step in the postseason.

We are working to re-establish ourselves as a top mid-major, and this schedule is as good if not better on the top end than any schedule we've had in recent memory. The bottom end is borderline irrelevant because there is very little difference in teams ranked 200 and lower (towards 300). We've had a plethora of them on our schedules over the last 14 years, and there might not be much difference in the ones on this schedule. However, the difference is made up on the top end, and I think this schedule is great, especially with where we are at as a program. Nevada and Marshall made noise in the tourney - they will draw some attention, especially with Marshall at home. Clemson is ACC, and then the other Caymans game is against solid competition since the field is top to bottom strong. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Let'sGoZips94 said:

The argument made was that, as an established mid-major, the next step was never taken in scheduling to increase our odds at taking that next step in the postseason.

We are working to re-establish ourselves as a top mid-major, and this schedule is as good if not better on the top end than any schedule we've had in recent memory. The bottom end is borderline irrelevant because there is very little difference in teams ranked 200 and lower (towards 300). We've had a plethora of them on our schedules over the last 14 years, and there might not be much difference in the ones on this schedule. However, the difference is made up on the top end, and I think this schedule is great, especially with where we are at as a program. Nevada and Marshall made noise in the tourney - they will draw some attention, especially with Marshall at home. Clemson is ACC, and then the other Caymans game is against solid competition since the field is top to bottom strong. 

This is actually a complete mystery to me...again for a second year. On one hand a number of players got some valuable playing time in the system and then we also let a bunch of players go. So even if the talent level on the roster is improved, these guys are going to need time to gel. Especially with new point guards. I agree the non-conference schedule isn't overly exciting and not built to earn an at-large, but they will have a few opportunities to challenge themselves. And practically speaking, the team can't rebuild every year so hopefully going forward as this team matures the schedule will strengthen right along with them. 

• Like 2

On 8/2/2018 at 1:27 AM, Illini Zip said:

This is actually a complete mystery to me...again for a second year. On one hand a number of players got some valuable playing time in the system and then we also let a bunch of players go. So even if the talent level on the roster is improved, these guys are going to need time to gel. Especially with new point guards. I agree the non-conference schedule isn't overly exciting and not built to earn an at-large, but they will have a few opportunities to challenge themselves. And practically speaking, the team can't rebuild every year so hopefully going forward as this team matures the schedule will strengthen right along with them. 

I'm fine with our schedule this year. I agree with Illini about team maturation/strength of schedule going forward. 

Just checked out the home OOC schedule for the upcoming season. 

Wow, that should pack the fans in: 2 non DI teams, and (based on last seasons ending RPI) 3 DI teams with an RPI north of 300, one just barely under 200, and Marshal. 

Nobody here should be making fun of OSU who routinely hops a bunch of bunnies in during their OOC schedule because our OOC opponents can match theirs hop for hop.

This doesn't look like progress to me.

8 hours ago, Valpo Zip said:

Does anyone really think that this is the year we are going after an at-large bid?

If I was a coach of a team with 7-8 first-year players, my only concern would be to prepare a team that can compete in the conference. Just saying.

Exactly. The schedule is a great mix of games that allow you to learn how to win, and games that challenge you mentally (against the tougher squads). 

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, Let'sGoZips94 said:

Exactly. The schedule is a great mix of games that allow you to learn how to win, and games that challenge you mentally (against the tougher squads). 

Absolutely. And we should save this same excuse for next year. Already got two good uses out of it!

Comparing MAC OOC Schedules (notable games are listed)...

Akron - Marshall, Nevada, Cayman Islands Classic ( 3 games - Clemson, Georgia/Illinois State, St. Bonnie/Georgia State/Creighton/Boise State)

Bowling Green - St. John's, VCU

Buffalo - WVU, St. Bonnie, Syracuse, Marquette

Can't State - Vandy, Louisville, Oregon State

Miami - Butler, Xavier, Island of Bahamas Showcase (Matchups TBD)

Ohio - Hasn't announced OOC

Ball State - Hasn't announced OOC

Central Michigan - TCU, Bahamas Tournament (Matchups TBD)

Eastern Michigan - Hasn't announced OOC

Northern Illinois - Butler, Michigan State

Toledo - Marshall, Middle Tennessee, Gulf Coast Showcase Tournament (Matchups TBD)

Western Michigan - Ole Miss, Cincy, Michigan, Dayton

• Thanks 1