Game 3—@Northwestern

UA1987

The big question - How is their QB, Clayton Thorson, doing with his ACL rehab after the bowl game injury at the end of last year? NU's schedule does not set up well early with an opener @ Purdue, then a big game next with Duke. I think Thorson will be back for their opener and will play against Akron in their third contest. NU has no go to backup QB with experience should Thorson have trouble with his knee. Note that Thorson had 15 passing touchdowns last year, but there were also 12 interceptions.  

Additionally, NU lost their All Big Ten running back J. Jackson to graduation, but have a 4* sophomore in J. Larkin to replace. Larkin rushed for about 600 yards last year in a back up role. The Cats offensive line, however, is not big, so our defensive will not be out matched like in games at Wisconsin, Penn State, and Ohio State. Northwestern returns their top two receivers in 5"11" Flynn Nagel and 6"4" Bennett Skowronek. Each had about 50 receptions in 2017.

On defense NU is about the same size as Akron across the defensive line with exceptional D/E's (Gaziano), and they have some big linebackers (Fisher).Their defensive backfield looks good too with athletic safeties.  

Summary - If you look at the end of last year and compare the Zips and Northwestern, this 2018 game could be a 30 point blowout with a chance for the Cats to get some badly needed work for their backup QB. I'm hoping we can stay close in this one and are able to move the ball. If our offense stalls, then we are going to experience a long evening. We cannot put our defense in bad situations all night long. We need to score early to build momentum and put pressure on their QB to win. Our first game against the other NU (Nebraska) will tell us more of what to expect in Evanston.                              

Edited by UA1987
  • Like 2

The Northwestern RB coach is Lou Ayeni, formerly of Toledo (Kareem Hunt) and Iowa State (Mike Warren, David Montgomery).  Great guy and a fantastic recruiter and coach.  

• UA1987 changed the title to Game 3 - @Northwestern
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
2 hours ago, ZippyRulz said:

Leave Sat. morning, stop in Toledo for 3 quarters of Miami Hurricanes at the Glass Bowl at noon, then drive on out to Evanston for the 7:30 Zips start :)

Don't underestimate the traffic going through Chicago.  Northwestern is north on the far side of the city right along the lake.  You might want to consider taking I-55 to the McCormick Center and then LakeShore Drive and Sheridan Road if the I-90/94 is too slow going through downtown.  Or take Western Avenue north if traffic is slow at the I-90/94 Edens split (which is the best in low traffic, but takes you northwest, just to come east on Peterson or Dempster).  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 7/24/2018 at 11:07 AM, ZippyRulz said:

Really interesting note:

"Akron lost just one game that Connelly’s win expectancy model (which is based on what actually happens in each matchup, not projections) gave them more than a zero percent chance to win. Meanwhile, a +10 turnover margin, good for 15th in the country, helped them slip away with some lucky close wins."

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Cykron said:

I'm in Skokie right now (just west of Evanston).  Want me to sneak into the Northwestern practice and go "Tonya Harding" on anyone in particular?  :ninja:

I think they're all in W. Lafayette for tonight's game...you gonna be there a few more days? :D

On 8/30/2018 at 5:25 PM, ZippyRulz said:

I think they're all in W. Lafayette for tonight's game...you gonna be there a few more days? :D

Oops.  I thought it was being played in Evanston.  Maybe I should just go over there and knock some books off the library shelves.  That will get the smart kids all riled up!  :rock:

Edited by Cykron
  • Haha 1

On 8/9/2018 at 10:19 AM, Cykron said:

Don't underestimate the traffic going through Chicago.  Northwestern is north on the far side of the city right along the lake.  You might want to consider taking I-55 to the McCormick Center and then LakeShore Drive and Sheridan Road if the I-90/94 is too slow going through downtown.  Or take Western Avenue north if traffic is slow at the I-90/94 Edens split (which is the best in low traffic, but takes you northwest, just to come east on Peterson or Dempster).  

Update.  294 north of O'Hare has its center median torn up, so keep that in mind if you use 294 north in order to go east on Peterson or Dempster.  

I'm not an expert on Chicago traffic, but it might be easier coming from the E to just pay a few tools and skip the 80/94 traffic leaving the turnpike.  My nephew travels through out the city for work swears by an app that he uses.  I can get you info on it if you want, but Saturday afternoon traffic shouldn't be much of an issue.  The 80/94 section between the turnpike and 94W is always a bear.  If you get to Evanston early enough, you could look for my Zip flag in the golf course lot.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Ham said:

I'm not an expert on Chicago traffic, but it might be easier coming from the E to just pay a few tools and skip the 80/94 traffic leaving the turnpike.  My nephew travels through out the city for work swears by an app that he uses.  I can get you info on it if you want, but Saturday afternoon traffic shouldn't be much of an issue.  The 80/94 section between the turnpike and 94W is always a bear.  If you get to Evanston early enough, you could look for my Zip flag in the golf course lot.

Probably the Waze app?

That sounds right,.  My wife has it on her phone, but she is not home now.  I'll be going in Friday evening, and I will have to deal with the 294 mess.  My NU grad son likes to start tailgating early.  I'm sure we will have lunch in the golf course and watch one of the afternoon games waiting for kickoff.

1 hour ago, Ham said:

That sounds right,.  My wife has it on her phone, but she is not home now.  I'll be going in Friday evening, and I will have to deal with the 294 mess.  My NU grad son likes to start tailgating early.  I'm sure we will have lunch in the golf course and watch one of the afternoon games waiting for kickoff.

Don't know how many will be making the trip to Northwestern, but I'll be there too. 

16 hours ago, Ham said:

Coming from the east as we did for years when travelling between Chicago and Akron, I almost always took the Skyway from Indiana.  If the 90/94 Dan Ryan was slow, I would cut off and take major south side streets until I connected with Lake Shore Drive (LSD!) near the Museum of Science and Industry, then take it along the lakefront (awesome views of the lake and downtown, try to see anything like that in Lincoln) and Sheridan Road the rest of the way north to Evanston.  

18 hours ago, Zipmeister said:

Drive to Chicago on Friday, have dinner at Ditka's, stay in a hotel/motel north of town, leaving a minutes long commute on Saturday to the ball field.

On top of that the Cubbies are home that weekend too. Not that I'm a Cubs fan by any means, but Wrigley is awesome, and Wrigleyville is a blast

• Dr Z changed the title to Game 3—@Northwestern
On 9/3/2018 at 3:55 PM, LZIp said:

Looking more and more likely that I'll be making this roadie. Best way to get tickets for the game?

edit: nvm. Looks like tickets are going for a whole $6/each on stub hub and $2 on vivid seats.

I splurged for the $13.00 tickets ($19 after all the Stub Hub fees). Row 12. Section 107.

8 hours ago, Captain Kangaroo said:

I splurged for the $13.00 tickets ($19 after all the Stub Hub fees). Row 12. Section 107.

Looks like we are going to be in the same row and section. I got a steal for $20 for two after stubhub fees. Cheaper than a Zips game!

• Like 1