Game 3—@Northwestern

UA1987

Repeating this -- sorry if I missed my post:

The female announcer said something I have NEVER heard before.  That John Heisman not only COACHED Buchtel College to it's biggest victory, over OSU in 1894, but he QUARTERBACKED the team before that!  Is that true??

Edited by Z.I.P.

17 minutes ago, Z.I.P. said:

Come on haole.  It's ON Maui!  Not IN Maui. ??

Whoops - you're right. Haha. Sorry, I am in Wailea on Maui. Aloha, brah! Shaka!

By the way, I believe this is technically Akron's first win against a Big Ten squad, since OSUcks didn't join the Big Ten until 1912. Not sure what conference they were in during the 1894 season. 

4 minutes ago, zipsoutsider said:

Meanwhile. .. Husker fans, everywhere, are coming to the realization that Akron is not the cupcake they thought.

Met a guy at our hotel that is a huge Nebraska fan. He told me Akron is probably lucky that game got cancelled. Should be noted: that was before today. 

9 minutes ago, Z.I.P. said:

The female announcer said something I have NEVER heard before.  That John Heisman not only COACHED Buchtel College to it's biggest victory, over OSU in 1894, but he QUARTERBACKED the team before that!  Is that true??

I've heard that before, but it's difficult to find reliable info. Supposedly he was a player-coach. Different rules back then.

5 minutes ago, Z.I.P. said:

That was before the great Conference Shakeup, that brought Case Western Reserve to the MAC and Rutgers to the B1G!  ?

Western Reserve University was in the MAC, Case Tech never was; and after the merger between the two schools, Case Western Reserve University was not in the MAC

19 minutes ago, zzx said:

Western Reserve University was in the MAC, Case Tech never was; and after the merger between the two schools, Case Western Reserve University was not in the MAC

God bless you for putting me in my Connecticut Western Reserve trivia place!  How could I have fo'got da big merger!  Did they have to wait for John D. Rockefeller to die to pull that off?

2 hours ago, GoZips88 said:

Another gift TD. I just don't get the lack of discipline. Entirely on the coaching staff for not DEMANDING it from the day these guys commit to Akron.

I couldn't agree more.Lack of discipline is a trademark of Bowden teams. He does not demand it. He seems to let them play thru it and learn from the experience. The only thing they learn is there is no accountability for stupid, willful mistakes on Bowden coached teams. I think TB is a good coach for Akron and I want him as our coach, but I hate his tolerance for penalties, selfishness and being punks at times.

I'd bench 'em all and play the next man up.

35 minutes ago, Z.I.P. said:

8 minutes ago, 72 Roo said:

I couldn't agree more.Lack of discipline is a trademark of Bowden teams. He does not demand it. He seems to let them play thru it and learn from the experience. The only thing they learn is there is no accountability for stupid, willful mistakes on Bowden coached teams. I think TB is a good coach for Akron and I want him as our coach, but I hate his tolerance for penalties, selfishness and being punks at times.

I'd bench 'em all and play the next man up.

Interesting timing on this post

• Like 1