Game 3—@Northwestern

UA1987

48 minutes ago, zippy5 said:

Interesting timing on this post

The timing was deliberate. I want to win against NW and all future opponents. We won't do that w/o discipline. Coaches should demand it, especially after a huge win that we nearly lost because of lack of discipline.

Last year, apart from Nelson's repeated taunts, the team seemed much better with penalties and discipline. Tonight was frustrating, for sure. 

As much as I would tend towards the old school, bench them all, it just wouldn't motivate today's players.

I also love the same old complainers whining about how bad our coaching is on the Zips FB Facebook. Give it a rest.You just show how small you are when you do this on the night we score our first B10 win, the season after we win the MAC East and make our second bowl appearance in 3 years. 

• Like 1

I have no voice left!!! The Zips family, friends, and fans gave several raucous “let’s go zips” chants. These men battled their butts off overcame adversity (some self inflicted) and earned the right to fly the flag!! It was a beautiful night and a tremendous win for the program. GoZips!!

• Like 4

1 hour ago, The Hip Zip said:

Nice job Zips but to give NW the ball for the last play was one of the stupidest things I ever witnessed. Hell, Nelson could have sprinted back for a safety and game over.  NW should have never had a chance for a hail Mary. 

My guess is that Kato was instructed to scramble around long enough for him to then  throw the ball deep downfield out of bounds and that he jumped the gun and threw it a couple of seconds early. Bowden did not look happy with the result of that play at all. I get not punting. I kept thinking of Michigan State’s miracle punt block as time expired against Michigan a few years ago.

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, CDMac said:

I have no voice left!!! The Zips family, friends, and fans gave several raucous “let’s go zips” chants. These men battled their butts off overcame adversity (some self inflicted) and earned the right to fly the flag!! It was a beautiful night and a tremendous win for the program. GoZips!!

The chants came through loud and clear on the Big Ten Network.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Z.I.P. said:

Repeating this -- sorry if I missed my post:

The female announcer said something I have NEVER heard before.  That John Heisman not only COACHED Buchtel College to it's biggest victory, over OSU in 1894, but he QUARTERBACKED the team before that!  Is that true??

Yes he was the COACH and QUARTERBACK of the team.

35 minutes ago, Blue & Gold said:

I couldn't stream the game on B1G Network.  Someone had previously said that B1G Network posts all games on YouTube.  Is this correct?  I could only find game highlights on YouTube.  If someone finds the game replay available online could you post a link?

I was looking for the replay also. Is it behind a Paywall?

DEFENSE!

Third and ten. One could argue the play of the game, the front four were Davis/Brady/Ward/Sampson. Four rushing ends. A+ coach Stroud. 

While Alvin is the obvious choice for player of the game (incredible returns), Brian Bell played the game of his life. 11 tackles (8 solo), FIVE passes defended. Five! No other defender had half as many. 

• Like 3

https://www.cbssports.com/college-football/news/college-football-scores-schedule-games-today-alabama-romps-akron-scores-historic-win-over-northwestern/.  Historic win!   I like that people are figuring out there is a rich football history at Akron. (And look at what happened in the Arizona State game.  Now that is something the refs would do to Akron)

Edited by NWAkron

7 hours ago, Dr Z said:

While Alvin is the obvious choice for player of the game (incredible returns), Brian Bell played the game of his life. 11 tackles (8 solo), FIVE passes defended. Five! No other defender had half as many. 

Listening to Frenchy, he was calling Bell's name. A lot.  The way Frenchy was describing it, Bell wasn't just making tackles, he was laying hits down.

Edited by Blue & Gold

Just now, Blue & Gold said:

Listening to Frenchy, he was calling Bell's name. A lot.  The way Frenchy was describing it, Bell just wasn't making tackles, he was laying hits down.

He might be the hardest hitter on the team and the unsportsmanlike conduct call was really questionable. He really has some nice highlight film after last night. 

1 minute ago, zipsoutsider said:

The stats surprised me. We had 2 offensive TDs and less than 300 yards passing. The second half felt explosive, offensively, and we did have success but the win goes to the D, for sure. 3 defensive TDs is just outstanding. 

Now, to be able to focus on Iowa State without this going to their heads...

We were the proverbial buzzsaw in the second half.  Dominant offensively and defensively. :rock:

(& I agree, it felt like Kato had more than 300 passing yards.)

• Like 1

The NW weaknesses matched pretty perfectly with our strengths. It really was the perfect recipe for a win. I think Nebraska would have been a very similar match-up.

I did not catch where Wolfley lined up on his TD catch. Did he line up as a FB? I thought I heard the announcer say that. 

I saw on the postgame interview that the pass, leaving :02 left was a designed and practiced play that Kato executed too quickly. That being said, if Kato can play like he did in the second half all year, we can compete with anyone. We have receivers who can make plays. Their route running will improve and overall, the chemistry will improve. I really like Morris, Williams, Stewart, and Wolfley. MTB made a nice grab but Smith had one go right through his hands.

Nelson showed good decision-making but there was not a lot of pressure and not a very good secondary to hamper him. Sometimes you need that type of set-up in a big game to let the confidence kick in. There was some nice improvement from game 2 to game 3 (or however we are calling it.)

Let's hope the Zips call in a Long Snapping coach this week and put him on retainer for the season.

3 hours ago, Blue & Gold said:

I couldn't stream the game on B1G Network.  Someone had previously said that B1G Network posts all games on YouTube.  Is this correct?  I could only find game highlights on YouTube.  If someone finds the game replay available online could you post a link?

Yes it may not be up right away (seeing as how the game ended just 11 hours ago and it's Sunday) but here are links to Northwestern vs. Purdue and Northwestern vs. Duke.

I'd imagine it'll be posted later today or tomorrow.  They don't have any week 3 games up yet  and most week two games were posted "six days ago".

Edited by Balsy
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, zipsoutsider said:

He might be the hardest hitter on the team and the unsportsmanlike conduct call was really questionable. He really has some nice highlight film after last night. 

Wasn't that a double penalty?  because they moved from the 45 to like the 14...soo TWO unsportsmanlike pentalties for 30 yards right?  That whole situation was a joke.  I've seen players protest far worse the Brian Bell did and not get flagged for it.  He threw up his hands and the ref called an "after the play" penalty.  It was weak.

15 minutes ago, zvillezip said:

Total class by Fitzgerald.  

Really nice to see. They treated us with more respect before the game. Based on his press conference this week, he recognized where they would be vulnerable to us and respected the coaching we have. 

The shame is that this win gets lost in the overall bad day that the B10 had and the click bait headline about the last time we beat a B10 program. What I hate about the headline is that it is not really true. We have never beat a B10 team, prior to last night.