Game 3—@Northwestern

UA1987

7 minutes ago, Balsy said:

Wasn't that a double penalty?  because they moved from the 45 to like the 14...soo TWO unsportsmanlike pentalties for 30 yards right?  That whole situation was a joke.  I've seen players protest far worse the Brian Bell did and not get flagged for it.  He threw up his hands and the ref called an "after the play" penalty.  It was weak.

There were 2 15 yarders in the play and the play itself gained 8 yards. The first 15 yarder was on Bell during the play so tacked on to the end of the play. Then there as a second 15 yarder ( dead ball foul ) on a different Zip (Sampson). They only announced it as ‘unsportsmanlike’ so I think it must have been something he said to ref or other player as I didn’t see him involved in any post play kerfuffle. So, by rule, that sequence cost is 38 yards. In years past, Bell’s tackle would have been fine but they have made an effort to clean up the body slamming stuff. I’m not in agreement with that rule: but it’s still the rule. 

1 minute ago, CDMac said:

There were 2 15 yarders in the play and the play itself gained 8 yards. The first 15 yarder was on Bell during the play so tacked on to the end of the play. Then there as a second 15 yarder ( dead ball foul ) on a different Zip (Sampson). They only announced it as ‘unsportsmanlike’ so I think it must have been something he said to ref or other player as I didn’t see him involved in any post play kerfuffle. So, by rule, that sequence cost is 38 yards. In years past, Bell’s tackle would have been fine but they have made an effort to clean up the body slamming stuff. I’m not in agreement with that rule: but it’s still the rule. 

The announcers said Sampson arrived late with the hit, but I did not see it. The BTN announcers were, obviously seeing things through a NW fan's eyes, although they also treated us with more respect than P5 announcers or other networks usually do. That being said, I hated the camera work and the whole BTN experience.

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, zipsoutsider said:

The announcers said Sampson arrived late with the hit, but I did not see it. The BTN announcers were, obviously seeing things through a NW fan's eyes, although they also treated us with more respect than P5 announcers or other networks usually do. That being said, I hated the camera work and the whole BTN experience.

Right the BTN was awful.  ESPN3 coverage is vastly superior to the coverage we saw last night.  And the icing on top of all that is BTN think's they're awesome enough to only align themselves with cable packages...whereas the SEC and PAC-12 are both aligned with pretty much every service, including sling.  

2 minutes ago, dre22era said:

I rather the game be on BTN vs ESPN trying to finesse more money out of me with their ESPN+ paywall. 
My cable bill is $221 a month and you want me to pay more smh

I will be cutting the cord, soon and switching to Youtube TV. There are not many reasons to stay with cable any more.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, zipsoutsider said:

I will be cutting the cord, soon and switching to Youtube TV. There are not many reasons to stay with cable any more.

The main reason is the convenience

For example I saw many people on here complaining complaining about the BTN Watch app not being stable last night during the game. 

I am all for cutting the cord as I also pay for a iptv service but I am a believer that if you have a tv over 60 inches you should have cable. 

To me thats like having a BMW and never going over 50mph in it. 

28 minutes ago, dre22era said:

For example I saw many people on here complaining complaining about the BTN Watch app not being stable last night during the game. 

I am all for cutting the cord as I also pay for a iptv service but I am a believer that if you have a tv over 60 inches you should have cable. 

I had BTN and still didn't get the game and had to rely on their stream. 

• Thanks 1

No problems with Playstation Vue (is there a service that offers more sports channels?) + Roku Fox Sports channel. Thank God the Zips rolled in the second half. If I had to listen to the color analyst talk about NW '... imposing their will ...' ONE more time - :nutkick:

Edited by GoZips88

1 hour ago, dre22era said:

I rather the game be on BTN vs ESPN trying to finesse more money out of me with their ESPN+ paywall. 
My cable bill is $221 a month and you want me to pay more smh

I've talked about this extensively.  This corporate model is outrageous...screwing over the paying members to squeeze another dime out of people.

21 minutes ago, roopride said:

I hated that 4th down play with 7 sec.  Take the safety!

Is Brady playing?

The offense seemed to have a little more variety.

On to Iowa State 

The plan was for the play to take the entire 7 seconds before the ball hit the ground out of bounds. Kato threw a couple seconds earlier than he wanted. Northwestern had a serious rush closing in on him.... I didn’t like the plays on the series before the final one. Be safe with the ball and keep it on the ground but try to get the first down to end it.

1 hour ago, zipsoutsider said:

I had BTN and still didn't get the game and had to rely on their stream. 

I have Amazon Fire TV and uploaded Fox Sports Go, they have all FSN events and all BTN events. I also have Sling loaded for ESPN events but still pay the fee for ESPN+

Okay, folks.  Here's the opportunity for a Zips Old Guy to turn on the Way Back Machine and show how history comes close to repeating itself!

I was at the Bowl in, IIRC, 1983 when Dennison's Zips played Morehead St late in the season in a must-win game that featured a play similar to the finish in Evanston.  I've written about this before, and I call it "The Stupid Punter Play".  Under 10 secs remained in the half, and we had the ball at the Morehead 40 YL.  Coach Dennison puts his freshman punter, Kevin Kendall from Green on the field -- but MUST have told him not to kick the ball -- "Just run around till the clock expires."  But, he failed to account for Kendall's rookie green-ness.  The punter took the snap from center, and there was no rush by MSU, who were willing to go to the locker room.   Unfortunately, Kendall panicked, and failed to do what he needed to do - take a knee, and after Morehead players finally rushed toward him (as fans shouted for him to just "FALL DOWN!!") he turned and ran -- straight toward his own end zone -- from where under pressure he threw the ball up like a ticking bomb, out of bounds!  Everyone assumed the Zips escaped to the locker room safe from everything but embarassment.  Then after the band show, as the teams returned to the field, the PA announcer made the announcement, that on the final play of the first half, the Akron player threw an illegal forward pass from the end zone, resulting in a safety!  Fortunately, Akron won the second half and the game that day.

I am SO glad that situation didn't play out last night, but even if it did, it would not have given Northwestern the ball at the 30 yard line, with a play to win the game!   I can't BELIEVE that sequence was practiced for! smh

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, Balsy said:

Right the BTN was awful.  ESPN3 coverage is vastly superior to the coverage we saw last night.  And the icing on top of all that is BTN think's they're awesome enough to only align themselves with cable packages...whereas the SEC and PAC-12 are both aligned with pretty much every service, including sling.  

The BTN should be so much better than it is.  I get that they are looking out for the Big Ten schools, but it is a low quality, homer network.  They are having trouble spinning things this week though as the Big Ten has lost games to the following schools this week: Troy, Missouri, Kansas, BYU, Temple and the ZIPS.   

5 hours ago, dre22era said:

I'm guilty of most of the btn app belly aching last night. I stream all games to my 65" tv and never have any issues with espn, nbc, cbs or fox apps. All are 1080hd and never freeze. 

3 minutes ago, WD UA 2015 said:

I'm guilty of most of the btn app belly aching last night. I stream all games to my 65" tv and never have any issues with espn, nbc, cbs or fox apps. All are 1080hd and never freeze. 

I been flirting with this iptv service for the past 6 months that gives me all the channels in full HD but aside from the convenience the main thing that keeps me from cutting the cord for now is  the stream delay. The average stream delay is at least 45 seconds which is an eternity for people like me who like to live tweet and follow box scores live. 

19 minutes ago, dre22era said:

I been flirting with this iptv service for the past 6 months that gives me all the channels in full HD but aside from the convenience the main thing that keeps me from cutting the cord for now is  the stream delay. The average stream delay is at least 45 seconds which is an eternity for people like me who like to live tweet and follow box scores live. 

That is a drawback. I'd like to listen to the radio broadcast while watching, but the delay makes it a problem.

• Like 1