Game 3—@Northwestern

UA1987

9 hours ago, Blue & Gold said:

Listening to Frenchy, he was calling Bell's name. A lot.  The way Frenchy was describing it, Bell wasn't just making tackles, he was laying hits down.

Man, Brian played LIGHTS OUT last night. He was all over the field. It's like we had 3 players named "Bell" by how often his name was announced on the PA.

He was strong against the run, on point in coverage, and was putting some big hits on those little cats. Except for the two pick 6's from Davis, it would be hard to not have Bell as DMVP of the game.

• Like 1

My thoughts on the game:

First half was rough on offense. Offensive line killed us with penalties and making us always be behind the chains as a result. Like Bowden said in his presser, I think it was a result of some acclimating to playing on the biggier stage. Definitely settled down in the second half and played well.

Nice job of Gasser to hit his FGs. Not going to hold the last one against him as it was a long one.

Our defense is bad as as expected. Agreed Bell played on hell of a game and both Davis'. MLB is a much better fit for Bell, IMO. Alvin should be the national defensive player of the week if there is such a thing! I can't believe he returned the second INT for a TD. First one was sweet too obviously.

I can't wait to watch Morris and Williams shred the MAC for years to come. We did have a lot of questions marks at WR going into the year, but as I suspected, there is more talent there.

On the injury front, I recall Jean-Baptiste, Featherstone, and Brady getting injured. I think Featherstone was in crutches after the game. I hope none are too serious and they can get back out there quickly. I really hope we can go into conference play relatively healthy.

I was pretty baffled at the way our last possession was handled. I also get not wanting to punt the last play. Listening to the presser, it has been something thats been practiced many times, just wasn't set up/executed properly. If I were a betting man, I'd bet the clock operator was a little late starting it and quick to stop it on that play as well.

If we really did have two #9s on the field the last play, we lucked out. Definitely some learning experiences that came out this game for players and coaches, just thankful it didn't cost us a big win.

Was a pleasure meeting/celebrating with @Captain Kangaroo and his family.

The Zips family section (I assume) at the game was an awesome & rowdy bunch. It's nice to see the players have a section for these far away games.

Northwestern paid us 1.2M to go up there and kick their a$$. :rock:Who would have thought we would be undefeated 3 weeks into the season?!  Now time to go read some crying on the Northwestern board and then on to Iowa State!

• Like 2

11 hours ago, zipsoutsider said:

I did not catch where Wolfley lined up on his TD catch. Did he line up as a FB?

He lined up in the backfield as the "H". He was behind and offset half body width to the left of the left tackle.

It was a great play call. Mav runs the wheel route from that position and the OLB passes him off to the corner as he (the OLB) plays the WR who's sitting down in the flat. We'd thrown that often enough (WR to the flat) that the corner stepped up as if to be the flat defender and that gave Mav the step he needed to allow Kato  (after pump faking the flat route) to put the ball over his (the CB's) head an right into Mav's breadbasket.

Good play call, good route, good throw = TD!

Edited by CDMac

22 hours ago, 72 Roo said:

The timing was deliberate. I want to win against NW and all future opponents. We won't do that w/o discipline. Coaches should demand it, especially after a huge win that we nearly lost because of lack of discipline.

Matt Campbell seems to be your kind of coach.  He ran a lot of guys off the team when he came because he demanded they take practice seriously.  "Win in the dark" was his motto (what you do in the early mornings of the off-seaon, late nights, and when no one else is watching is what will make the difference).  

• Like 1

On 9/11/2018 at 8:49 AM, Cykron said:

Don't overlook the restaurants in Evanston.  I love downtown Chicago (focus on River North), but have only recently come to appreciate the breadth and depth of what Evanston has to offer.

Here are a few of my favorites:

Blind Faith.  Vegan restaurant, but you wouldn't know it by the taste.  I'd swear the delicious pot pie actually has chicken in it.

Dave's Italian Kitchen.  Great down-home atmosphere that makes you feel like you are in Iowa, not snooty Evanston.  Argh.  It's closed.  

Prairie Joe's.  Northwestern funky at its best.

Walker Bros. Pancake House.  Historic and oh-so-delicious.  

Hecky's BBQ.  Carryout only, but worth it.  This is vintage BBQ like you would expect on the near west side of Chicago.  Make sure to read the articles on the walls and say hi to Hecky.  He is what I want to be like when I grow up!   Seriously, he is a local benefactor of the highest order and even cancer couldn't keep him down.  If only the world had more men like Hecky!

Mustard's Last Stand.  Right next to the stadium.  It will be packed, but they have several outstations where you can buy food.  Great game day food.

Gino's East.  If you want the best Chicago-style pizza, go to the Gino's East on Huron in downtown Chicago.  I recommend the sausage patty pizza with a slab of sausage, not little chunks.  This is a man's pizza.  There are Giordano's knock-offs all over town, but the best is Gino's East on Huron, just off Michigan Avenue.  

Did anybody try any of these places?  Or find anything else you liked in Evanston or Chicago?  I'd love to hear about your experience around the game, as you set the stage before and celebrated after the victory.  

1 hour ago, Cykron said:

Matt Campbell seems to be your kind of coach.  He ran a lot of guys off the team when he came because he demanded they take practice seriously.  "Win in the dark" was his motto (what you do in the early mornings of the off-seaon, late nights, and when no one else is watching is what will make the difference).  

Thanks my friend. I'm looking forward Bowden coaching our boys up and getting after your 'Clones. It will be a great game. 

"First half was rough on offense. Offensive line killed us with penalties and making us always be behind the chains as a result."

LZip, I'll offer this thought and I am not trying to be a smart-ass or rain on the parade of this great win. Was our OLine killing us or was it Petersen? He seemed to be overmatched in this game, but I did not see that from the rest of the line. I like this line better than any OLine of the last four years. They can be very good. I don't like to call out individual players, but this poor guy was not cutting it. I know behind him we have R J Kelly who is a true freshman, and one day, maybe soon, will be the anchor of our line, but we may have to turn to him now. Petersen needs to learn from this, improve and show he can play with smarts.  

What are your or the board's thoughts?

We now have something in common.  We have both beaten Northwestern in Evanston.  We even got our nickname as a result.

From Wikipedia:  The "Cyclones" name dates back to 1895. That year, Iowa suffered an unusually high number of devastating cyclones (as tornadoes were called at the time). In September, the football team from what was then Iowa Agricultural College traveled to Northwestern University and defeated that team by a score of 36-0. The next day, the Chicago Tribune's headline read "Struck by a Cyclone: It Comes from Iowa and Devastates Evanston Town."  The article began, "Northwestern might as well have tried to play football with an Iowa cyclone as with the Iowa team it met yesterday." The nickname stuck.

Edited by Cykron

8 hours ago, Cykron said:

I think Matt Campbell would take a win in the daylight at this point

• Haha 1

ABJ: Victory over Northwestern a signature win for Zips, Bowden

The offensive line experienced jitters, mostly due to inexperience, which led to eight penalties on that unit in the first half. A talk was needed at halftime. ...

...“But most importantly, we settled down on the offensive line and got settled into the game and let the bigness of the game get past us.”

8 hours ago, 72 Roo said:

"First half was rough on offense. Offensive line killed us with penalties and making us always be behind the chains as a result."

LZip, I'll offer this thought and I am not trying to be a smart-ass or rain on the parade of this great win. Was our OLine killing us or was it Petersen? He seemed to be overmatched in this game, but I did not see that from the rest of the line. I like this line better than any OLine of the last four years. They can be very good. I don't like to call out individual players, but this poor guy was not cutting it. I know behind him we have R J Kelly who is a true freshman, and one day, maybe soon, will be the anchor of our line, but we may have to turn to him now. Petersen needs to learn from this, improve and show he can play with smarts.  

What are your or the board's thoughts?

You are spot on. I was trying not to be too specific. I think he definitely settled down in the second half as he only had maybe 1 penalty then. Luckily we were able to win despite that first half. FWIW, I didn't notice any let downs from an actual blocking perspective (meaning he seemed to be able to hold his own). Maybe that is why the coaching staff stuck with him. Has the talent, just needs to put and keep it together from a mental standpoint. I'd bet he does going forward. Learning experience.

Also, we definitely had two #9s on the field during the last play. The football Gods were on our side for once. Learning experience.

• Like 1

On 9/10/2018 at 3:46 PM, Captain Kangaroo said:

If you have not spent some time perusing the NW message board after our win, please do. It's a dumpster fire.

The one thread that is consistent is that they seem to believe their team has more talent than we do. I saw zero evidence of that. Their interceptions came from pressure on the QB and the fumble was a great strip. We had decidedly more speed, as was documented before the game. My question going into the game was how far along our talent was, at this point. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, zipsoutsider said:

If you have not spent some time perusing the NW message board after our win, please do. It's a dumpster fire.

The one thread that is consistent is that they seem to believe their team has more talent than we do. I saw zero evidence of that. Their interceptions came from pressure on the QB and the fumble was a great strip. We had decidedly more speed, as was documented before the game. My question going into the game was how far along our talent was, at this point. 

Unfortunately, you are going to get another week of the Big 12/10 arrogance, even from us a perennial cellar dweller.  I apologize in advance.  

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, zipsoutsider said:

They assume they have more talent because they are Big 10.  What I saw was a Zip team that was much faster than NW and just as physical. We have had plenty of speed the last few years.  Now we have the physicality to go with and more importantly, quality depth.  Coach Stroud put four DE's in on the play that forced the fumble for a TD toward the end of the game.  Shows off our depth, especially on defense.  The problem area with this team is OL.  Get that solved and we will be tough to beat.  Oh, and Kato Nelson grew up in this game.  He is now ready to lead this offense.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, zipsoutsider said:

"Also, we definitely had two #9s on the field during the last play. The football Gods were on our side for once. Learning experience.

I am sure every officiating eye was looking for pass interference and holding."

Just goes to show that our pair of nines beats their ace anyway!

• Like 1
  • Haha 2