Game 3—@Northwestern

UA1987

16 hours ago, CDMac said:

He lined up in the backfield as the "H". He was behind and offset half body width to the left of the left tackle.

It was a great play call. Mav runs the wheel route from that position and the OLB passes him off to the corner as he (the OLB) plays the WR who's sitting down in the flat. We'd thrown that often enough (WR to the flat) that the corner stepped up as if to be the flat defender and that gave Mav the step he needed to allow Kato  (after pump faking the flat route) to put the ball over his (the CB's) head an right into Mav's breadbasket.

Good play call, good route, good throw = TD!

That was beautiful execution. I've watched the replay of that 10 times. Props to Milwee and the team for executing to perfection

Not that any ZipsNation member wouldn't have guessed, but Alvin Davis, has earned Mid-American Conference Defensive Player of the Week honors for the East Division. Is there an award for all the conferences? I didn't watch every game, but I can't imagine a defensive player accomplishing more this weekend.

I'll mention this again, Alvin Davis stole (intercepted, and probably scored) Brian Bell's defensive player of the week award. 

1 hour ago, Blue & Gold said:

Kato was dropping dimes.

Wow.  Kato was making some perfect throws.  I don't remember that from him last year.  Hopefully, he has gotten that out of his system now.  

I liked his last throw the best!   Seriously, why stop the clock with time remaining?  He could have run around (or even taken a safety) to let time run out.  Decisions like that are what cost our former coach his job (Google Iowa State's meltdown at Kansas State a few years ago if you want to see the absolute worst).  

We should have seen the Zips victory coming.  Even the logo on the field looks more like the Akron Z than a Northwestern N!

Way to stick it to the Big 10.  But don't even think about bringing that non-conference victory flag to Ames!  :thumb:

• Like 1

5 hours ago, zipsoutsider said:

If you have not spent some time perusing the NW message board after our win, please do. It's a dumpster fire.

The one thread that is consistent is that they seem to believe their team has more talent than we do. I saw zero evidence of that. Their interceptions came from pressure on the QB and the fumble was a great strip. We had decidedly more speed, as was documented before the game. My question going into the game was how far along our talent was, at this point. 

Yeah while watching the 2nd half I did not see a superior Big-10 team on the field, I saw two teams that were almost evenly matched.  That Michigan game in 2013 was an example of a Better team (talent wise) that we almost beat.  This Northwestern team was not that much more talented than we are IMHO.

The biggest factor I saw though was all in the body language.  The Zips started gaining confidence and believing they could win, even after that disastrous first half.  Northwestern started to look shaken and looked as if they were staring to believe that they were going to lose.  That goes down to leadership and coaching.  Huge positive for the Zips that we appraently have leaders on the team who stepped up and did not lose confidence.

1 hour ago, Dr Z said:

Not that any ZipsNation member wouldn't have guessed, but Alvin Davis, has earned Mid-American Conference Defensive Player of the Week honors for the East Division. Is there an award for all the conferences? I didn't watch every game, but I can't imagine a defensive player accomplishing more this weekend.

I'll mention this again, Alvin Davis stole (intercepted, and probably scored) Brian Bell's defensive player of the week award. 

College sports madness awards Brian Bell.

Kato named to Davey O'Brien Great 8 list for week 3.

This week’s eight honorees, as determined by voting from the award’s selection subcommittee, are: Anthony Brown (Boston College), Alan Bowman (Texas Tech), Taylor Cornelius (Oklahoma State), Dwayne Haskins (Ohio State), Kelvin Hopkins, Jr. (Army), Kyler Murray (Oklahoma), Kato Nelson (Akron), and Tua Tagovailoa (Alabama).

• Like 1

4 hours ago, 72 Roo said:

"Also, we definitely had two #9s on the field during the last play. The football Gods were on our side for once. Learning experience.

I am sure every officiating eye was looking for pass interference and holding."

Just goes to show that our pair of nines beats their ace anyway!

OMG.  Weren't we called for that last season or the prior season?  Geez you are right.  One at the scrimmage line and one in the end zone.  How does that happen??  Seriously, I don't understand.

Edited by NWAkron

3 hours ago, Balsy said:

biggest factor I saw though was all in the body language.  The Zips started gaining confidence and believing they could win, even after that disastrous first half.  Northwestern started to look shaken and looked as if they were staring to believe that they were going to lose.  That goes down to leadership and coaching.  Huge positive for the Zips that we appraently have leaders on the team who stepped up and did not lose confidence.

We have been talking about our senior laden D.  I think we saw their leadership come through.  This victory sure had their stamp on it!  The scene after the game with the fan contingent in the corner and the locker room fight song really gives me a feeling that these young men have come together.  I can't wait to see what kind of a team shows up at Ames.  I think any fan should think real hard about making the trip to Ames so you would have the chance to see this squad really come of age.

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, Ham said:

We have been talking about our senior laden D.  I think we saw their leadership come through.  This victory sure had their stamp on it!  The scene after the game with the fan contingent in the corner and the locker room fight song really gives me a feeling that these young men have come together.  I can't wait to see what kind of a team shows up at Ames.  I think any fan should think real hard about making the trip to Ames so you would have the chance to see this squad really come of age.

Alvin talked about the pep talks from KB at the half and going into the 4th, so I think you are right about senior leadership.

I am headed through Des Moines right around noon on Saturday. I wish I had 4 hours to spare, but I'll be listening live, for sure. I wish the timing lined up for me even to be going through in the second half

Edited by zipsoutsider

9 minutes ago, zipsoutsider said:

Alvin talked about the pep talks from KB at the half and going into the 4th, so I think you are right about senior leadership.

I am headed through Des Moines right around noon on Saturday. I wish I had 4 hours to spare, but I'll be listening live, for sure. I wish the timing lined up for me even to be going through in the second half

Come on.  Make it happen.  Fly to wherever you are going and leave your car for someone else to bring.  I'll be making a trip to Akron at some point this fall.

6 hours ago, Cykron said:

Wow.  Kato was making some perfect throws.  I don't remember that from him last year.  Hopefully, he has gotten that out of his system now.  

I liked his last throw the best!   Seriously, why stop the clock with time remaining?  He could have run around (or even taken a safety) to let time run out.  Decisions like that are what cost our former coach his job (Google Iowa State's meltdown at Kansas State a few years ago if you want to see the absolute worst).  

We should have seen the Zips victory coming.  Even the logo on the field looks more like the Akron Z than a Northwestern N!

Way to stick it to the Big 10.  But don't even think about bringing that non-conference victory flag to Ames!  :thumb:

There's no guarantee KN1 could have killed 7 seconds before they got to him, especially if the clock started late. Then Northworstern might have had a better chance to score from within the red zone. And heaven forbid if they would have stripped the ball and taken it in. I'm glad Kato got rid of it when he did leaving them with 1 shot from the 30.

7 minutes ago, zippy5 said:

All the talk about the last play and no one has mentioned that we had a WR near that sideline without a defender within twenty yards of him. If Kato saw him and just threw it up inbounds, that would have been a fun little end to the game

good point. it was Williams.

Edited by LZIp
  • Like 1

On 9/16/2018 at 7:19 PM, LZIp said:

My thoughts on the game:

Alvin should be the national defensive player of the week if there is such a thing! I can't believe he returned the second INT for a TD. First one was sweet too obviously.

As I was saying...

https://gozips.com/news/2018/9/18/football-akrons-alvin-davis-named-bednarik-player-of-the-week.aspx

2 minutes ago, NWAkron said:

Geez.  That guy likes to read his own prose.   I couldn't get thru the whole article.   I did like the comment that Akron didn't "earn" anything.  Uh...we earned $1+million.  Thank you!

Long-winded for sure....and from a school known for journalism.  

• Like 1

Observations from the aricle:

1.) I can understand his desire to win and I respect it. Being someone who has competed in organized and unorganized sports well 

into my adulthood.

2.) If indeed the Wildcats did collapse, give credit to the Zips for the comeback regardless.

3.) You would do well not to look down on other athletes, regardless of the conference they are from.

4.) Maybe the Wildcats will learn from this. I hope you do also sir.

That was a painful article. The truth is that despite all of these talent rankings, there are reasons we do not let bots handle recruiting, yet. Putting your eggs in the talent ranking basket is always a gamble. There are injuries, kids do not work out as hoped, chemistry, coaching, and then the intangibles emotional element.

My question to NU is, "Where was your player leadership?" 

• Like 1

When you get home from the game at midnight, you don't feel like posting any thoughts on it. Then you drive home for 6 1/2 hours the next day, and you don't feel like posting anything either. Then on Monday, you try to catch up on all the things you didn't do around the house because you were in Evanston all weekend. And here you are...

There isn't much to be said that hasn't already been said regarding the game. Some people bemoan the lack of stars in the Akron recruiting classes, but there was no shortage of stars for the Zips on the field Saturday night. Bell...Nelson...Williams...anyone with the surname Davis or Brown... it was an amazing second half. Very reminiscent of the 1999 Akron @ Navy game, where the Zips were down 20 in the first quarter and rallied back for the win. The first half penalties were maddening, but even with the late second quarter TD drive, you never got the feeling that Northwestern was going to dominate. 

One play that stood out to me towards the end of the first half was the Zips 4th and 1 QB run. Kato took the snap and slammed into the line as hard as he physically could. He didn't get the first down, but it really stood out how badly he wanted it. I'd never seen a small (he's no Woodson) QB hit the line with such reckless force. It showed me how badly he wanted to win, despite how horrifically the bulk of the preceding offensive possessions had played-out.

The Zips clock management at game's end was baffling. The chasing of points that began in the 3rd quarter was puzzling. The 48 yard FG attempt late in the 4th qtr was ummmmm thought-provoking? But all that said, the Zips gutted out one of, if not THE greatest wins in program history. 

Back in 2005 the Zips beat NC State. You really thought the Program had arrived. Then we stumbled to a 5-6 season record. The apparent breakthrough 2014 win at Pitt ended up a lone highlight in an otherwise forgettable 5-7 season. 

But this year seems different. You always win with defense, and the Zips have their best defense in memory. Sort of like 2015, but with the addition of Dwight Smith impersonator Alvin Davis in the secondary (for you youngsters out there, Google "Dwight Smith Akron" to see my GZOAT).  

Iowa State will be a much bigger test than Northwestern. Back-to-back Power 5 games always are brutal for MAC schools. But the MAC has done it before. Toledo beats Power 5's with regularity. NIU too. Remember in 2003 when NIU began the season with wins against Alabama, Maryland and Iowa State? Why not the Zips? It's about time another MAC school broke through the Glass (Bowl) ceiling!

As lunch draws to a conclusion, here are a few closing thoughts on the Northwestern trip -

* Great to put a face to the name of @LZip and @Ham. Fun meeting them, & their spouses/families! Very nice to meet the Reinke's too.

* The Zips alumni had a nice party at the South Golf Course lot...coincidentally only about 100 feet from where we were tailgating. Thanks to Willie for stopping by and inviting us over.

* The Golf Course lot was awesome. Just like the old Rubber Bowl grass lot.  Corn hole...footballs flying...kids running around everywhere...it was a fun time.

DSC01546 (Small).JPG

It was a little like Lord of the Flies as the kids took control of the green on hole #13. I wouldn't want to putt on it come Sunday morning. 

aIMG_0560 (Small).jpg

Here were a couple of Zips tailgates -

DSC01539 (Small).JPGDSC01549 (Small).JPG

And inside the stadium, here were some of the boisterous Zips fans:DSC01656 (Small).JPG

DSC01648 (Small).JPG

Nice people in Evanston. Very gracious in their defeat. Fun college town. Couldn't have had a better weekend.

Thank you Akron Zips!

• Like 10