Game 3—@Northwestern

UA1987

3 hours ago, UA1987 said:

Well, I can say I was there. The tailgate atmosphere was very good. Not many questions about our nickname, but one baited comment on Zippy. I thought of using the story that our University founder Buchtel was from Australia and he tried to start a kangaroo ranch here in 1870's, but the darn things kept knocking out the ranch hands. Instead I deferred to the lamer story that our mascot is a carnivorous marsupial native to Ohio and that is why we adopted the critter. Thankfully, no one knew Zippy is a girl. My nephew had a good idea in that we should wear kangaroo pouches to the tailgate, but I thought maybe we should just hand out zippers.

Anyhow, their stadium was nice. It did remind me a bit of the Rubber Bowl or Cleveland's Municipal stadium as it was ancient, but the field was top notch and there were about 30-35,000 fans there and they were loud. On the way up in the elevator some NU fan said aloud 'are we going to kick their ass or what' and I leaned into the group with my Zips hat and said 'no Akron will win'. They backed off. Then the same NU fan commented something like 'who was that a coach or something' as I exited and the elevator doors closed. Weather an hour before the game - perfect.

As Akron lined up early on, an NU fan I was with commented that Akron looked big on the lines. I said - 300 lbs at the tackles on defense and 300 lbs across the O-line. I had to endure all sorts of crap in the first half with comments like 'that's quite a well oiled machine you got there', as we committed an ungodly amount of penalties. Then the NU fan group near me started acting like they were at a craps table with screams of joy as our center #53 kept coming up with penalties. Despite the outcome so far this was a hard hitting game in the first half.

Then all crap shook loose. You know the story by now. Many stars on the Akron side, but Brian Bell physically dominated for Akron. Lako was good too and of course so was Davis. I actually heard an NU fan say they liked our QB better than Thorson. At the end, our D was tired and I knew they were vulnerable. Many NU fans were exiting and I said 'there's 5 minutes left where are you going?'. I grabbed one loud mouth's arm and said 'if it makes you feel any better this could be our first Big 10 win ever'. Most of their fans were great though.

To me, the greatest single Zips DIv I A play of all time was Hixon's catch against NIU in 2005, but this NU Zips contest was the best game of all time and I was there.                                         

:bow:

22 minutes ago, AKSportsFan said:

Probably the best article I have ever read regarding Zips Football. There is something special going on and I think it is spreading!

She probably didn't have the Zips game on one screen and the Buckeyes on the other.

Edited by zippy5
  • Haha 3
  • Sad 1

3 hours ago, UA1987 said:

To me, the greatest single Zips DIv I A play of all time was Hixon's catch against NIU in 2005, but this NU Zips contest was the best game of all time and I was there. 

I was too, and I got to tailgate with my son and all of his NU buddies.  I did have support from Captain and his family and the Reinke's.It only took a couple beers for everyone to calm down after the game.  Everyone was all smiles when they turned the lights out at midnight on the golf course.

One final topic from me as we move on from the Northwestern game... 

What was up with their "Hype Guys?" on the sidelines? They had four...maybe five guys in purple shirts hopping along the sidelines facing the Northwestern team, whooping it up like they'd funneled fifteen Red Bulls prior to the game. They never stopped. For the most part they performed in front of a group of similarly-wired "players" that were either walk-ons, or regular students in football uniforms planted among the real players. It was the oddest thing. 

Seemed to me is was someone's idea to keep the energy up on the sidelines and keep everyone into the game. But it was lame, phoney, "rehearsed energy." It is the sign of the apocalypse if college football sidelines are moving towards this type of baloney.

DSC01582 (Small).JPG

1 hour ago, Captain Kangaroo said:

What was up with their "Hype Guys?" on the sidelines? They had four...maybe five guys in purple shirts hopping along the sidelines facing the Northwestern team, whooping it up like they'd funneled fifteen Red Bulls prior to the game. They never stopped. For the most part they performed in front of a group of similarly-wired "players" that were either walk-ons, or regular students in football uniforms planted among the real players. It was the oddest thing. 

Seemed to me is was someone's idea to keep the energy up on the sidelines and keep everyone into the game. But it was lame, phoney, "rehearsed energy." It is the sign of the apocalypse if college football sidelines are moving towards this type of baloney.

DSC01582 (Small).JPG

Sounds like gymnastics after a routine when all the girls run down and scream even though the routine sucked.  

I think I saw something similar during last nights Temple -v- Tulsa game.  Temple's new slogan is "The Dark Side," & a couple of their fans had their faces painted like Darth Maul (kinda Temple's colors if you darken the red).  Anyway, they had 4 students(?) dressed as Storm Troopers jumping around on the sideline all game.  

I pray this doesn't get as popular as Miami's Turnover Chain has. :rolleyes:

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Captain Kangaroo said:

DSC01582 (Small).JPG

That's hilarious. It's like something out of a comedy movie.

• Haha 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

The Holiday bowl this year reminded me a bit of the September Akron NU game with the second half resurgence and defensive takeaways, but this time it was not Akron but NU making the amazing comeback. Of course this was lost by the analysts. Robert Smith had a disrespectful tone in the post game discussion about NU's Akron loss. He now has now joined my a-hole list.

Happy to hear Fitz is staying at NU. They are even uttering the phrase 'National Champions' as a target. Love it - Go Cats! - my second team near the second city.         

Edited by UA1987

6 minutes ago, LZIp said:

Seems to be without a doubt the best win in program history as they won the BIG West and are going to likely end the season ranked in the teens. Such a weird season....glad I got to witness that one though.

I don't think this win over Utah is their greatest win in their 125 year history, but our win over NU this year was our greatest.

NU had a similar coaching problem that we at Akron had with Ianello. The Cats had a guy named Rick Venturi that almost ruined their program in the late 70's. There was much talk about Northwestern leaving the Big 10 as they could not compete. Interesting how wrong people can be, especially a Notre Dame a-hole I know (who I root against almost every game).

Happy New Year to all Zips fans. Beat Illinois.       

34 minutes ago, UA1987 said:

I don't think this win over Utah is their greatest win in their 125 year history, but our win over NU this year was our greatest.

NU had a similar coaching problem that we at Akron had with Ianello. The Cats had a guy named Rick Venturi that almost ruined their program in the late 70's. There was much talk about Northwestern leaving the Big 10 as they could not compete. Interesting how wrong people can be, especially a Notre Dame a-hole I know (who I root against almost every game).

Happy New Year to all Zips fans. Beat Illinois.       

Should have made my post clearer. I meant akron beating northwestern was our greatest. Maybe would have been debatable at the time, but looking at end of season results I don’t think it’s debatable.

Edited by LZIp
  • Confused 1

Northwestern is never going to contend for national titles. Much like Notre Dame, their handicapped in recruiting because they're a private university that has very high admission standards. Unlike Notre Dame they don't have the brand. The reason Fitzgerald gets thrown around so often when it comes to NFL hires is because he's a great x's and o's guy who finds ways to maximizes his teams potential and is able to compete against schools that frankly are more talented on paper.

22 hours ago, kreed5120 said:

Northwestern is never going to contend for national titles. Much like Notre Dame, their handicapped in recruiting because they're a private university that has very high admission standards. Unlike Notre Dame they don't have the brand. The reason Fitzgerald gets thrown around so often when it comes to NFL hires is because he's a great x's and o's guy who finds ways to maximizes his teams potential and is able to compete against schools that frankly are more talented on paper.

Matt Campbell-esque. Hi @Cykron:wave:

• Like 1