Game 3—@Northwestern

UA1987

6 hours ago, Captain Kangaroo said:

Tickets done. Hotel booked.

Next up is identifying the best tailgate lot...

Thread on NW Tailgating

Bleacher Report Article

I don't know much about tailgating at Northwestern, but I wouldn't expect much if the most relevant thing you found was a Michigan State thread from 2011!  :thumb:

• Haha 1

8 hours ago, Captain Kangaroo said:

Tickets done. Hotel booked.

Next up is identifying the best tailgate lot...

If you don't want to haul a lot of stuff, you could just bring a supply of Ohio's finest brews and join us in the golf course.  I'm not sure if you can get in there or the lot next to the stadium without a pass.  I'll check with my son for correct info.

4 hours ago, Ham said:

If you don't want to haul a lot of stuff, you could just bring a supply of Ohio's finest brews and join us in the golf course.  I'm not sure if you can get in there or the lot next to the stadium without a pass.  I'll check with my son for correct info.

That would be great. Sub hub has parking passes for 20 bucks. Let me know if you’re in the central or north course lot and I’ll get a pass.

On ‎9‎/‎5‎/‎2018 at 9:41 PM, Captain Kangaroo said:

That would be great. Sub hub has parking passes for 20 bucks. Let me know if you’re in the central or north course lot and I’ll get a pass

You just need a pass to park in the golf course. I'll post a map if anyone else would care to drop by.

Looking at the first 2 weeks, I may be wrong about Northwestern and we just might have a real chance against them. They barely beat Purdue, and EMU goes and beat Purdue. EMU should be about a middle of the road MAC squad this year. I don't think Duke is necessarily anything to write home about. Seems their QB Thorson might not be at 100% just yet. RB seems to be the best player, but isn't anything too special like a David Montgomery or anything.

On 9/7/2018 at 3:03 PM, Ham said:

South, close to Central, first row by the canal

Look for an NU & Zip flag

Got my South Lot parking pass today form StubHub. 30 bucks after all the fees were included.

See everyone there! It would be cool to have 20+ Zips fans centralized.

I'll also be flying a Zips flag. Expecting to arrive around 2:30 pm (CST). 

Don't overlook the restaurants in Evanston.  I love downtown Chicago (focus on River North), but have only recently come to appreciate the breadth and depth of what Evanston has to offer.

Here are a few of my favorites:

Blind Faith.  Vegan restaurant, but you wouldn't know it by the taste.  I'd swear the delicious pot pie actually has chicken in it.

Dave's Italian Kitchen.  Great down-home atmosphere that makes you feel like you are in Iowa, not snooty Evanston.  Argh.  It's closed.  

Prairie Joe's.  Northwestern funky at its best.

Walker Bros. Pancake House.  Historic and oh-so-delicious.  

Hecky's BBQ.  Carryout only, but worth it.  This is vintage BBQ like you would expect on the near west side of Chicago.  Make sure to read the articles on the walls and say hi to Hecky.  He is what I want to be like when I grow up!   Seriously, he is a local benefactor of the highest order and even cancer couldn't keep him down.  If only the world had more men like Hecky!

Mustard's Last Stand.  Right next to the stadium.  It will be packed, but they have several outstations where you can buy food.  Great game day food.

Gino's East.  If you want the best Chicago-style pizza, go to the Gino's East on Huron in downtown Chicago.  I recommend the sausage patty pizza with a slab of sausage, not little chunks.  This is a man's pizza.  There are Giordano's knock-offs all over town, but the best is Gino's East on Huron, just off Michigan Avenue.  

Edited by Cykron
  • Like 2

58 minutes ago, Cykron said:

Don't overlook the restaurants in Evanston.  I love downtown Chicago (focus on River North), but have only recently come to appreciate the breadth and depth of what Evanston has to offer.

Blind Faith.  Vegan restaurant, but you wouldn't know it by the taste.  I'd swear the delicious pot pie actually has chicken in it.

Dave's Italian Kitchen.  Great down-home atmosphere that makes you feel like you are in Iowa, not snooty Evanston.  Argh.  It's closed.  

Hecky's BBQ.  Carryout only, but worth it.  This is vintage BBQ like you would expect on the near west side of Chicago.  Make sure to read the articles on the walls and say hi to Hecky.  He is what I want to be like when I grow up!   Seriously, he is a local benefactor of the highest order and even cancer couldn't keep him down.  If only the world had more men like Hecky!

Mustard's Last Stand.  Right next to the stadium.  It will be packed, but they have several outstations where you can buy food.  Great game day food.

Gino's East.  If you want the best Chicago-style pizza, go to the Gino's East on Huron in downtown Chicago.  I recommend the sausage patty pizza with a slab of sausage, not little chunks.  This is a man's pizza.  There are Giordano's knock-offs all over town, but the best is Gino's East on Huron, just off Michigan Avenue.  

I 2nd Gino’s east if you like Chicago style pie. It’s the best in the city. I go there every time I visit Chicago. Expect a bit of a wait to sit and then about 45 min to an hour for the pie to cook. Fado Irish pub is also a great little Irish pub where all of the staff are actually from Ireland. If you want some good blues, right next to fado is the world famous “blue Chicago” blues bar. Very small but great music. If you are staying the weekend and want a upscale place the signature room on the 95th is fantastic. It’s on the 95th floor of the Hancock building, or you can go to the signature lounge on the 96th just one floor higher. Both have outstanding 360 degree views of the city. If you have time check out the Lincoln park zoo. It’s fantastic and free. I wish I could make the trip, but I’ll be in Boston this weekend. For those of you going, Have fun and as always, go zips!!!

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Dr Z said:

Whatch the game with a TV login on BTN2Go. Lisa Byington will do play-by-play, and Dan Persa will be the analyst.

Also, the BigTen Network games usually show up on my Fox Sports Go app on AppleTV and Roku. Probably some sort of partnership there. 

Screen Shot 2018-09-11 at 11.55.26 AM.png

Edited by akzipper
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, zippy_ua_00 said:

I 2nd Gino’s east if you like Chicago style pie. It’s the best in the city. I go there every time I visit Chicago. Expect a bit of a wait to sit and then about 45 min to an hour for the pie to cook. Fado Irish pub is also a great little Irish pub where all of the staff are actually from Ireland. If you want some good blues, right next to fado is the world famous “blue Chicago” blues bar. Very small but great music. If you are staying the weekend and want a upscale place the signature room on the 95th is fantastic. It’s on the 95th floor of the Hancock building, or you can go to the signature lounge on the 96th just one floor higher. Both have outstanding 360 degree views of the city. If you have time check out the Lincoln park zoo. It’s fantastic and free. I wish I could make the trip, but I’ll be in Boston this weekend. For those of you going, Have fun and as always, go zips!!!

To add a few thoughts, if you don't care about the Gino's East atmosphere and/or want to avoid their terrible lines,  order carry out and eat at your hotel or a park.  

Pro tip on the Signature Room.  Go at lunch not dinner.  The lunch buffet is great and reasonably priced, particularly when you get to sit right next to a window on the 95th floor.  Essentially you get the Observatory experience thrown in for free.  The Signature Room views are great because each is very different:  south (downtown and lakefront), west (gritty city), east (Lake Michigan), and north (lakefront, near north, maybe even a view of Wrigley).  The only reason to do the Willis (Sears) Tower is the acrylic walk-out area (bring extra pants in case you have an accident).  

And yes, Lincoln Park Zoo is fantastic and free.  Lincoln Park is surprisingly lovely for being right downtown.  My parents got engaged there and I had a break-up there.  Both were providential moments in our family history!  

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Cykron said:

Walker Bros. Pancake House.  Historic and oh-so-delicious.  How did I forget them?  I'll edit my post above.