2021 Offers

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...

Thought this guy was a '20 offer who would be on a roster this year, but obviously not.  VerbalCommits dot com has him listed as being a JUCO sophomore.  Anyway, we're still in the running. (Along with Cleveland State ?, New Mexico State, and Lamar.)

Edited by Blue & Gold
  • Like 1

18 minutes ago, Blue & Gold said:

Thought this guy was a '20 offer who would be on a roster this year, but obviously not.  VerbalCommits dot com has him listed as being a JUCO sophomore.  Anyway, we're still in the running. (Along with Cleveland State ?, New Mexico State, and Lamar.)

Looks like he's on the Big Dog fitness program.

This is an instance where we can root against our old friend Dru Joyce III. 

3 hours ago, clarkwgriswold said:

Can you spell project? I see very tough times for him living up to coach Groce's fitness expectations. 

On 10/19/2020 at 8:16 PM, clarkwgriswold said:

On 10/19/2020 at 11:31 PM, 72 Roo said:

Can you spell project? I see very tough times for him living up to coach Groce's fitness expectations. 

Offensive linemen are usually 275-325 lbs, but are some of the most fit people on earth. Weight doesn't always indicate conditioning/health issues. I remember seeing Anderson's highlights in the other thread. He moves very well, is an outside threat, and would be one heck of a challenge to move out of the paint or get around (assuming he buys into Groce's fundamentally-sound system of boxing out - usually). 6'8" 275 lbs and dribbling by defenders - yeah, I want him.

20 hours ago, zippy5 said:

Cadiz?! My goodness. My buddy has 100 acres of property in Scio, OH (Cadiz is the closest "big" town). I hardly have cell service, let alone hope of finding basketball talent down there. Could be a diamond in the rough (a lot of rough - like, miles and miles of fields and trees, rough). His AAU squad must get a decent amount of showcase, because how the heck did Green Bay find him?

Edited by Let'sGoZips94
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Let'sGoZips94 said:

Cadiz?! My goodness. My buddy has 100 acres of property in Scio, OH (Cadiz is the closest "big" town). I hardly have cell service, let alone hope of finding basketball talent down there. Could be a diamond in the rough (a lot of rough - like, miles and miles of fields and trees, rough). His AAU squad must get a decent amount of showcase, because how the heck did Green Bay find him?

I was thinking the same.  31 PPG is great... but his competition has to be suspect.  Like you said, his AAU team must play some good competition.  I'm reminding myself that Javon Graves (STVM) was originally from Malvern... or somewhere out in BFE.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Let'sGoZips94 said:

Offensive linemen are usually 275-325 lbs, but are some of the most fit people on earth. Weight doesn't always indicate conditioning/health issues. I remember seeing Anderson's highlights in the other thread. He moves very well, is an outside threat, and would be one heck of a challenge to move out of the paint or get around (assuming he buys into Groce's fundamentally-sound system of boxing out - usually). 6'8" 275 lbs and dribbling by defenders - yeah, I want him.

At the end of the day, if he can play, contribute and gets with the program, I don't care if he's 5 feet tall and weights four bills!

While the Buckeye 8 is not on the level of some of the leagues in Northeast Ohio, its definitely a few steps above the Malvern-like competition B&G mentioned, which is where Graves came from prior to SVSM. There have been players go to Michigan, WVU, and Purdue, as well as MAC schools, for football in recent years. One of them is actually in the NFL (Colton McKivtiz). Some other players that came from these schools include Nate Davis, Jose Davis, Tim Spencer, Joey Galloway. There are some athletes that come out of there, though not so much on the basketball side.

I assume Ford being from Cambridge tipped us off to him and he did enough in AAU to warrant an offer. Could be a sleeper type of prospect who went under the radar, could be a bust. Here's to hoping he's a hidden gem..i know I'll be rooting for him being a fan of the Zips and a native of the area.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

On 10/27/2020 at 9:46 AM, Let'sGoZips94 said:

Offensive lineman fit and D1 basketball fit are not the same thing.

You can demonstrate this by having a bunch of lineman run 6 back-to-back, full-court wind sprints.

Be sure to have a defibrillator handy.

On 10/26/2020 at 2:11 PM, zippyfan34 said:

Groce seems to love having a stable of PG’s!

Cooper, Kellogg, and Offutt were at the forefront of OU's success during Groce's time there. Stevie Taylor and Ricardo Johnson were also a pain to deal with as an opponent. Don't forget, the year he left, he had Caris LeVert coming to OU before decommitting after Groce's departure and heading to Ann Arbor instead. Groce is a smart man - he isn't about to abandon the system that had OU on the verge of total MAC dominance. 

Edited by Let'sGoZips94
  • Like 2

On 10/26/2020 at 1:11 PM, zippyfan34 said:

Groce seems to love having a stable of PG’s!

I'll just add to the conversation that at Illinois the injury bug hit the position of point guard as hard as any. I don't fault Groce for never wanting to feel that helpless ever again. We were at times a car without an engine and it got brutal. Also, players that might play point guard on other D1 teams might not have the running skill set he demands out of his points guards. That said, those same point guards are awesome playing off the ball as shooting guards in this system.

Edited by Illini Zip