Caleb Porter & Sinisa Ubiparipovic to be Inducted into Varsity A HoF

https://gozips.com/news/2018/8/2/akron-athletics-announces-class-of-2018-hall-of-fame-inductees.aspx

CALEB PORTER (Soccer) – The men's soccer head coach (2006-12) for seven seasons, Caleb Porter guided the Zips to two consecutive MAC titles.  Named the MAC Coach of the Year six times (2007-12) and the NCAA Coach of the Year in 2009, he coached UA to the 2010 national championship title.  In 2011, Porter coached the U.S. Under-23 Men's National Team.  From 2013-17, Porter coached the MLS Portland Timbers, earning MLS Coach of the Year honors in 2013 and winning the MLS Cup in 2015. He resides in Hilton Head, S.C.

Nice write-up in the article on GoZips.com, but I'd like to add to it...

• Led the Zips to 2 College Cups, 2009 and 2010
  • His 2009 Zips won 23 consecutive games, were seeded #1 in the NCAA Tournament, and gave up 0 goals in the run of play in the NCAA Tournament (5 matches)
  • While at UA, served as an assistant coach with the US U18s where he suggested DeAndre Yedlin move to right back, a position where Yedlin has been successful in the NCAA, MLS, EPL, and with the USMNT
  • During Caleb's tenure, 2 Zips were honored as the NCAA Division I Men's Player of the Year receiving the Missouri Athletic Club (MAC) Hermann Trophy ... Teal Bunbury in 2009 and Darlington Nagbe in 2010
  • With a staff that included now head coach Jared Embick, started (in 2007) a consecutive string of NCAA Tournament appearances that Coach Embick and his staff continue today
  • If I counted correctly, Porter-led UA Men's Soccer teams included 18 Zips who were drafted by MLS, including 2009 overall #1 MLS draft pick Steve Zakuani, (Seattle Sounders) and a record (for any NCAA team) 7 Zips in 2011 (5 drafted in the first round); another 6 Zips who played for Caleb signed with MLS teams as homegrown players
  • One of Caleb's former players, DeAndre Yedlin has gone on to play in the English Premier League (EPL)
  • Four Zips who played under Caleb - DeAndre Yedlin, Wil Trapp, Darlington Nagbe, and Perry Kitchen - have played for the U.S. Men's National Team. Yedlin played in the 2014 World Cup and has 50 or more caps; Wil Trapp has recently served as USMNT Captain (a duty which he also holds with the MLS Columbus Crew)

A few personal observations about Caleb: Although he attended and played for a B1G Ten university with a storied Men's Soccer program, Caleb was a true believer in UA. He felt we should shed the mid-major mentality. I also loved that he would call out anyone attending a UA event wearing Ohio State apparel letting them know they should be proud of UA and wearing Zips gear and colors. I also recall coming across a Zips practice on Shrank practice field where Caleb was quite frustrated with how the practice was going. I overheard him say ...You may have played sh*t soccer all summer, but this is Akron! 

Edited by Zip_ME87
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I would love to read other's comments and reflections about Caleb and Sinisa. Please post.

I will admit that I was only a casual Zips soccer fan prior to 2009. I was a student at UA when the 1986 team made the Zips first College Cup appearance, which I vaguely recall. After graduating in 1987, I left Ohio for 11 years. When I returned I attended a few matches here and there prior to 2009 but not many. I consider myself to be one of those fans of whom Caleb speaks when he said he wanted to "grow the sport". 2009 was the first year UA sold Men's Soccer season tickets; I bought one to get the scarf as well as attend games. Caleb and team got me right away with the first match. Our 2009 team was so talented (looked like professionals to me at the time), and I loved the beautiful style of play which is so fun to watch. I've been a huge soccer fanatic ever since.

Edited by Zip_ME87