ESPN+

GJGood

I have seen that the Zips will be on both ESPN3 and ESPN+ this year. I know ESPN is touting ESPN+ as the way to get to view games you couldn't see before for a low price. If I am not mistaken, though, weren't these same games free on ESPN3 in years past? I guess I am having a problem understanding why an Akron fan would rather have a game broadcast on ESPN+ than on ESPN3.

Does anyone know how much ESPN+ costs? Or if I can get it just for football season? Can we assume the basketball Zips will be on ESPN+ frequently too? What about soccer or even baseball once it returns in full?

I hope most Zips fans who frequently watch the games on ESPN3 realize the changes this year but I have a feeling that many do not.

So far there are 6 soccer games (all home), and three football games (2 home and one at Kent). 

I'll probably either be working or at the games. Unless you can watch old games it doesn't make a lot of sense for me. The price isn't bad, but I don't know if I would use it.

Other than having to pay for what was free before, how does ESPN+ differ from ESPN3. The network has touted it as being an improvement. I guess I am looking for some sort of explanation as to how ESPN+ is better than ESPN3 for a Zips fan that has regularly watched on ESPN3 the last few seasons.

I read an article that ESPN Insider is merged into ESPN+.  They are both $4.99 per month.   However, if you are an Insider, as Zippy5 mentioned, you will be grandfathered into ESPN+ with the same price plan.  Yearly is $49.99 for ESPN+ and $39.99 for Insider.  I'm wondering if it might be worth joining Insider and being grandfathered in to $39.99 per year ($3.33 per month).

Here is the link to the article.

https://variety.com/2018/digital/news/espn-insider-switched-to-espn-plus-streaming-1202911642/

Edited by zipsrule

On 8/22/2018 at 1:03 PM, GJGood said:

Other than having to pay for what was free before, how does ESPN+ differ from ESPN3. The network has touted it as being an improvement. I guess I am looking for some sort of explanation as to how ESPN+ is better than ESPN3 for a Zips fan that has regularly watched on ESPN3 the last few seasons.

If you're someone like me who doesn't watch much live television, you can cut your cable and still watch most Zips games (football, basketball, whatever else they stream) for $50/year. That's cheaper than a month of cable. ESPN3 wasn't free. It required you paying for a cable/slim bundle that had the ESPN family of networks.

ESPN also recently acquired a lot more tv rights specifically to add content to ESPN+ so you will be getting much more than what was on the old watchespn app.

Edited by kreed5120

• 2 weeks later...
On 9/11/2018 at 9:52 AM, Spin said:

Is an ESPN+ subscriber able to watch archived games later? Or is it like ESPN3 and when the game is over, that's it?

Like @LZIp said, you can watch them after the fact (I did the Morgan State game) but I’m not sure how long they keep them in the “replay” section. 

Edited by CDMac

@WD UA 2015- I can still see the Morgan State game on ESPN+ on my laptop.

If I go to the main ESPN+ page then click on "Schedule and Replays" from the nav bar, then click on the "Replays" tab, then use the scrolling calendar to select September 8, you can scroll down to the "NCAA College Football" section and the game is listed (or you could use CTRL+F) to search for "Akron" to locate the game that way once you hit the listings for Sept 8th.

Not sure how different devices display the menus, nav bars, and date selector stuff though so you may just have to dig around.

Alternatively, once you're logged in to ESPN+, click on this link Morgan State at Akron and see if it will load for you.

Edited by CDMac

• 4 months later...

For members still on the fence about espn+, anybody not happy with their subscription? I like it and recommend. Good content, well organized. 

On the flip side, if anybody is thinking of subscribing to what used to be PGA Live, now NBC Sports Gold, wait a year. Not sure why the PGA decided to do this, I'm sure it has to do with cost, but the new app has a ways to go to add entertainment and value that espn+ offers. 

2 hours ago, Dr Z said:

For members still on the fence about espn+, anybody not happy with their subscription? I like it and recommend. Good content, well organized. 

On the flip side, if anybody is thinking of subscribing to what used to be PGA Live, now NBC Sports Gold, wait a year. Not sure why the PGA decided to do this, I'm sure it has to do with cost, but the new app has a ways to go to add entertainment and value that espn+ offers. 

I think it's great. Probably the best deal out there at $5 a month. 

I had PGA Live last year and was pumped when I saw it was included with ESPN+ so I canceled my PGA Live subscription, then it moved pretty quickly. I bought it through Amazon prime this year. It's not great, but I watch a lot of the Thursday/Friday play on an extra monitor in my office

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, Ham said:

Kreed, please help a geezer.  With ESPN+, do you get all ESPN content, including ESPN3?  for $5?

No, you don't get the stuff that's on cable. You don't get the stuff on ESPN3 neither, however, very few games are on ESPN3 these days. Mostly everything moved to ESPN+. It's pretty much what ESPN3 use to be, but on steroids as ESPN went out and acquired rights to tons on new sports to bolster their offering. I previously mentioned they acquired MLS version of Sunday ticket. Zippy5 mentioned they had PGA Live as else, but apparently lost it. They air tons of foreign soccer, cricket, other misc sports. They have all the 30 for 30s available and tons of other ESPN+ exclusive shows. You also gain access to all the ESPN insider articles so those are no longer behind a paywall. I'm sure there is stuff I'm missing. I signed up for a year for $50. I'll definitely re-up when my subscription comes due.