Do not take the Panthers lightly, Zips fans!

https://pittsburghpanthers.com/index.aspx?path=msoc

As nearly everyone predicted, Coach Jay Vidovich has turned around this once dismal program.

https://pittsburghpanthers.com/staff.aspx?staff=392

While we were stinking up FES/CCF last Monday vs. NCS, Delaware 1-6 Pittsburgh.

All this guy did Monday was score a hat-trick.

https://pittsburghpanthers.com/roster.aspx?rp_id=9825

#9 Edward Kizza  has been favorably compared to our #9 David Egbo.

Some say Kizza if even better than Egbo.

(I don't, but some do.)

Regardless...

These Cats can play!

If Zips exit the locker room unmotivated, like we would rather be doing something else, Panthers will whip us good.

Frankly, I cannot guarantee my good behavior should Zips start the season on three consecutive home matches without a win.

(You may want to preemptively alert security.)

It is time for our team and our coaches to perform with urgency, because the 2018 season hangs in the balance.

• Like 2

38 minutes ago, fknbuflobo said:

And because I know you are all clamoring for it, this is what I want to see Saturday.

http://football-formation.com/lineup/69386/proposed-Akron-Zips-9-1-18

formation.png Create your own lineup at football-formation.com

Agree that I hated Strachen at RB from an offensive perspective.  The way Korb played in the Butler game I second him getting the look at RB.

7 hours ago, malonepioneer12 said:

Remove Sohn for #2 from Spain

After a shaky preseason defensively, Lenny Sohn has defended satisfactorily, earning another shot at LB. 

At least Sohn gets forward in the attack, sending in playable left-footed crosses. 

We are not seeing anyone do that from RB.

But I am not convicted on this point.

Pol Hernandez could also warrant another look.

Different type players, but still not much daylight between the two.

But I am certain that Daniel Strachan should not be RB.

That I know.

I am done with that experiment.

Rarely have I seen a good player look so uncomfortable.

We have three CB that are among the best XI on the Team.

Ritaccio, Milanese, and Strachan.

One out of these three must play HMF if we are to keep our 4-2-3-1.

Take your pick.

Or change systems.

• Like 2

I’m not as concerned about LB. I think Leonard Sohn and Pol Hernandez can trade time there and one will likely emerge as the starter. 

I also agree that Daniel Strachan does not look comfortable at RB and should not continue there. 

Marco Micaletto needs to move further forward where he can get more into the attack. Looking at a discussion on another website, Abdi Mohammed played HMF some at tOSU. I like the idea of putting him there to get Micaletto moved forward. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I would like to see Skye Harter get some more playing time against Pitt.

Skye has been with the program for many years and he should be very motivated for the zips to get a win over Pitt's co-captain Shane Wiedt ( a former Zip)

In the first 2 games for Pitt, both former Zips - Wiedt and Robby Dambrot have started both games and Dambrot even scored a goal in their most recent game.

and yes, Virginia, there is a Santa Claus and it will be very weird to see Keith Dambrot in non Akron colors....Go, Zips !!!

In terms of the lineup, I have been impressed with Nikolic's willingness to "rifle" a shot at the goal.  That can lead to rebound chances if the keeper can not handle cleanly.   I might be inclined to insert Nikolic into the "3" in a 4-2-3-1 if Colin Biros struggles early.

Skye had a stretch last year where he did very well on corner kicks.  Having some height in the lineup like Braden Petno and Nikolic could lead to good results if Skye is putting corner kicks in dangerous places

1 hour ago, zippyfan34 said:

Skye was dealing with foot issues, which is why I was surprised he even got in on Friday towards the end.  I think he played all of the second half Monday.

Thank you for the insider info on Skye.  A very knowledgeable soccer fan sitting near me at Friday's game commented that Skye did not look 100% healthy.

once again, Akron's weekend match is considered one of the top 5 matches of the weekend.

I suspect that the same thing will occur next weekend with one of the games in Washington

In the article...you can also note college soccer fans will be able to watch Stanford at Maryland on Fox Sports 1 on Friday night

https://www.topdrawersoccer.com/college-soccer-articles/mens-top-5-matches-to-watch:-aug-31_aid44656

Saturday, September 1

Pittsburgh (1-1) at No. 2 Akron (0-1-1), 7 p.m. (ESPN+)

Another ACC test arrives in Akron after the Zips lost 2-0 to a solid NC State squad. With so many new faces in Akron, it’s not a huge surprise to see the team start slow as they look to configure their attack around sophomore forward David Egbo. Pittsburgh, which is rapidly improving under head coach Jay Vidovich, is going to look to come away with a famous win in this one. Forward Edward Kizza scored a hat trick in a Monday matchup against Delaware, and he’s one of a handful of players that have shown that they can make an impact.

Prediction: Pittsburgh 2-2 Akron

https://gozips.com/news/2018/8/31/mens-soccer-zips-battle-pittsburgh-to-close-homestand.aspx

this has a 3 minute interview with Coach Embick.

Embick is obviously very disappointed with the NC State

the 3 players praised by coach Embick...are David Egbo, Joe Korb, and Marco Micaletto........

hmmm....seems to me that our line up expert.......has been praising the same young men  :)

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, malonepioneer12 said:

We need to clean up the sloppiness in the back.  Maybe sub Strachan for Marco at center back.  

Well, Strachan will sub for Ritaccio over next two matches.  Carlo has been called up to USU19NT.

I agree that Milanese must eliminate all the ball handling errors.  

6 hours ago, malonepioneer12 said:

That isn’t who I wanted to be subbed.  Figures.  Any idea when he will be back?   He reminds me a little of Andrew Souders 

I can see the comparison to Souders.  Ritaccio likes to slide- tackle.  I have heard that Ritaccio will miss the matches in Seattle.

Edited by fknbuflobo