Game 2—Morgan State

Dr Z

7 hours ago, Dr Z said:

Black jerseys today.

Black_uniforms_MSU_090818.jpg

Anyone know what happened with the Navy jerseys? It was reported on Twitter that due to "logistics" they we're forced to bring these old jerseys out. Hopefully it wasn't the football teams fault or something money related. That would be embarrassing...

Also hope this fixed soon. Nothing better than the classic gold helmet with navy jersey and gold pants. I really don't like the huge focus on blue and white lately with Zips sports.

Edited by akzipper
  • Like 2

I don't quite get some of these comments. Kato made good decisions and was accurate with the ball. If the issue is with the taunting, then I get that, but the play was fine. I think I have more of an issue with the run game than anything. I will concede there isn't much we can take from this game. I'll just say I'm glad it was our first one and I hope Morris has more durability than what was shown today. He has talent for sure, but looked shaken up every time he hit the ground. Williams looks like he's going to be a solid option in the slot this year. Defense stout as expected against these guys.

• Like 2

Hated our uni's today. If the blues were truly in Nebraska then I'll temper my dislike. One thing I hate is our white helmets  have the Z and the number outlined. The inside of which is not filled in. If both were actually navy blue you could clearly see them from the stands. As they are now you can't make out either number or Z. They just look like marks on the side of the helmut. Would have much rather seen our gold helmets. Call me old fashion, but i wish we have a standard uni that was recognized by all as the Akron look. 

• Like 2

They said uniforms were locked somewhere in Wisconsin..."supply chain issues."

My comments about Nelson were early on, when we ended the drive with a FG and he got the taunting penalty. This is not his first such penalty. The fumble in the backfield was on him, IMHO. He has a rocket of an arm and decisio-making is OK, but accuracy still needs work. 

I have an issue with the quantity of personal fouls he has racked up plus the report of him fighting in practice. Those are all selfish choices. Once...OK...give a kid a chance to grow up. He has had multiple if those type of penalties. That's not leadership. 

We were bitten by Woodson's selfishness and really left without a chance to win at the end of the season. I would hate to see the Zips get bit by the selfishness of another QB. If he cannot grow up, let's bench him and see if Ramart can handle himself with more maturity.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, zipsoutsider said:

They said uniforms were locked somewhere in Wisconsin..."supply chain issues."

My comments about Nelson were early on, when we ended the drive with a FG and he got the taunting penalty. This is not his first such penalty. The fumble in the backfield was on him, IMHO. He has a rocket of an arm and decisio-making is OK, but accuracy still needs work. 

I have an issue with the quantity of personal fouls he has racked up plus the report of him fighting in practice. Those are all selfish choices. Once...OK...give a kid a chance to grow up. He has had multiple if those type of penalties. That's not leadership. 

We were bitten by Woodson's selfishness and really left without a chance to win at the end of the season. I would hate to see the Zips get bit by the selfishness of another QB. If he cannot grow up, let's bench him and see if Ramart can handle himself with more maturity.

That's fair.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Balsy said:

Sooooo basically Nebraska is holding our uniforms hostage

From what I have heard, the game uniforms from Nebraska are not the ones we were planning to wear in the home opener. Those are NEW uniforms being delivered but have yet to arrive, not ones that are stuck in transit on the return trip from Nebraska.

Just my 2 cents and I could be totally wrong but that's how I understand it.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, CDMac said:

From what I have heard, the game uniforms from Nebraska are not the ones we were planning to wear in the home opener. Those are NEW uniforms being delivered but have yet to arrive, not ones that are stuck in transit on the return trip from Nebraska.

Just my 2 cents and I could be totally wrong but that's how I understand it.

Lol I was making a joke...

Selfishly, I wanted to see QB12 get more time but I agree with the coaching staff keeping the 1's offense in so long. I think our D is going to be fine, but with so many new pieces and parts on O, I think the coaches thought they needed to get those guys as many reps as possible to work out the kinks, etc. and I would have to agree that that was a good strategy. 

• Like 2

From as little as you can tell from a game in the rain against a bad 1-AA program, I'm pretty amped up about the Zips defense. I think the pressure we'll put on the opposing QB's this year is going to lead to a lot of INT's. 

Feel terrible for DeMarcus Lloyd. Has an early, season-ending injury last season, and gets a medical hardship to play in 2018...works hard in the off-season and earns the starting nod for Game #1...and it lasts 2 plays. 

The player I'm most excited about is Dre Williams. He's a playmaker. I can't wait to see him get the ball in the open field. 

Nice to see Deltron Sands healthy after the game. 

The snaps on FG's and extra points scare me. Hope we shore that up quickly.

Justin Sampson seems to have taken a big step forward this year? I'll be interesting to see how effective he is when going up against a Big 10 offensive line.

This was a good game for Kato to get his feet wet. Overall I thought he looked ok. He threw some nice deep balls, and ran adequately too. The hot-headedness continues to be a concern. As well as INT's. I know the McGriff drop wasn't his fault, but there were a couple other tosses that a better team would have picked on Saturday. 

Van Edwards acquitted himself well. Can he do it against a Big10 team though? 

I saw less of Maverick Wolfley than I'd expected. But when Williams is healthy we're pretty deep at the TE/H-back position.

Should be a fun game on Saturday evening. If we can avoid turnovers, and create a few of our own, I think we've got a solid chance for a win.

• Like 2

Nick Gasser earned Mid-American Conference Special Teams Player of the Week honors for the East Division, this week. Gasser converted two field goals and four extra points. His field goal makes were 24 yards and 30 yards. He also had one punt for 47 yards which landed inside the 20.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Captain Kangaroo said:

This was a good game for Kato to get his feet wet. Overall I thought he looked ok. He threw some nice deep balls, and ran adequately too. The hot-headedness continues to be a concern. As well as INT's. I know the McGriff drop wasn't his fault, but there were a couple other tosses that a better team would have picked on Saturday. 

Well put summary on Kato.  His raw talent jumps out at you, but Kato still has me on the edge of my seat with my fingers crossed.

47 minutes ago, Blue & Gold said:

Well put summary on Kato.  His raw talent jumps out at you, but Kato still has me on the edge of my seat with my fingers crossed.

I asked myself. This AM if he looked as good as Tommy did against a 1AA team at that point and I am not sure he did. He has the talent, and can certainly have the rock 60+ yards, but I am not sure he has the same smart Tommy did.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, zipsoutsider said:

I asked myself. This AM if he looked as good as Tommy did against a 1AA team at that point and I am not sure he did. He has the talent, and can certainly have the rock 60+ yards, but I am not sure he has the same smart Tommy did.

I've said before that I wish I had the same confidence with Kato under center (btw, that's becoming an obsolete term...) as I had with Woody.  However, IIRC, Woody didn't start until part way through his sophomore season.  Am I remembering correctly?  Just trying to give Kato the benefit of the doubt... 

1 hour ago, Blue & Gold said:

I've said before that I wish I had the same confidence with Kato under center (btw, that's becoming an obsolete term...) as I had with Woody.  However, IIRC, Woody didn't start until part way through his sophomore season.  Am I remembering correctly?  Just trying to give Kato the benefit of the doubt... 

Very similar, I think he was a redshirt sophomore and he won the job within the first few games, after Pohl had a concussion against Pitt.