Canisius replaces Connecticut for Saturday's opponent

AKRON, Ohio – The impending landfall of Hurricane Florence has necessitated a scheduling change for the University of Akron men's soccer team on Saturday, Sept. 15, as the Zips' scheduled opponent – Connecticut will be unable to make it to FirstEnergy Stadium – Cub Cadet Field due to travel considerations associated with the storm.

Akron has added Canisius to its schedule as a replacement for the Huskies on Saturday, Sept. 15, with the Zips hosting the Golden Griffins at 7 p.m. Canisius was tabbed to win the Metro Atlantic Athletic Conference this season.

• Thanks 2

Canisius is 1-2-1

Defeated Robert Morris 3-0 in opener

Lost 3-2 to Northern Kentucky

lost 3-2 to Michigan State

0-0 with Bucknell

they have had 2 games cancelled due to weather...Michigan and St. Francis (PA)

credit to the zips soccer coaching staff at Akron for being able to find a replacement for Connecticut

• Like 3

I am sorry, but this feels like a junior varsity scrimmage match when I look at it.  I know there weren't a lot of options, but still.  Of course, if we look terrible or even barely win, it will add to the angst I see mounting regarding the 2018 edition of the Zips.  My big hope is, we'll put this to bed early and get to see a lot of the reserves and learn/see about them.  Supposed to be a pretty night weather-wise, but will a Canisius drum up the walk-up ticket buyer?

• Like 1

It is unfortunate that UConn had to cancel due to weather/travel considerations just like UA potentially losing a big pay out due to cancelation of the football game with Nebraska due to storms. However, at least a good opponent was found as a replacement, and I’m happy that our 2018 Zips get to play tonight at home and continue their progression. No one, especially our players, are satisfied with how this season is going thus far. I trust that our players will find their edge and the needed Zips Men’s Soccer mentality. These players are talented and smart. They just need to mentally put together a complete game and help each other out. I’m sure they all realize that no matter how good any of them are individually, they are only as good as the team. 

• Like 1

13 hours ago, ZipsVoice said:

I am sorry, but this feels like a junior varsity scrimmage match when I look at it.  I know there weren't a lot of options, but still.  Of course, if we look terrible or even barely win, it will add to the angst I see mounting regarding the 2018 edition of the Zips.  My big hope is, we'll put this to bed early and get to see a lot of the reserves and learn/see about them.  Supposed to be a pretty night weather-wise, but will a Canisius drum up the walk-up ticket buyer?

Let's face it.....Connecticut , with their performance in the last 5-7 years, is a shell of their teams in the 2000's.  They are not going to sell any extra tickets.

Canisius was forecast to win their league and could be playing in the NCAA tourney.   I still am very happy with the coaching staff and the Athletic dept for finding a D1 opponent that could be playing in the NCAA tourney.  This team could not afford to be off from September 9 to September 20 before facing a quality team in Grand Canyon at their beautiful facility.

This team needs a win and they need time playing together.  19 new players this year.   Carlo Ritaccio will be back for tonight's game.   I am glad that he has another game to gel with the back line and the midfielders.    I am hopeful that Marcel Zajac and Diogo Pacheco will both get some playing time tonight.    I have a good feeling that a healthy Marcel Zajac playing upfront with David Egbo will open up a few seams and help the Zips be more dynamic offensively.

Last year's team struggled early with injuries to Stuart and Sam.    Marcel Zajac is going to be an important part of this team's success in 2018.   I am very glad that the coaches acted quickly after Ray Reid and Connecticut bailed on tonight's matchup.     I am very pleased that this team has an opportunity to improve and gain some confidence tonight.

• Thanks 1

IF BY ANY CHANCE you should see Niko DeVera in attendance tonight (short guy, big feet), be sure to tell him that he has been an exemplary Akron Zip.

May all on this current squad have careers similar to Niko De Vera's.

Zips Nation are proud!

10-0 Zips...

that has to help the confidence a great deal.....

this Canisius team lost 3-2 to Michigan State...and a 3-2 to a 5-1 Northern Kentucky team

Congrats to Diogo Pacheco on his first 2 collegiate goals....glad you are healthy, young man

David Egbo - college soccer player of the week...3 goals and 2 assists

Ezana - 3 goals  .....Congrats to Mr. Kahsay

• Like 3

The students probably are done attending the games for the season.  In my mind it depends on the first few games and how the zips play.  A blah performance against Butler (a great crowd there) and then a beat down from N.C. State.  So they show the first one or two games - not good games and they are done.  This has been the trend in the last 4 years.  It is disappointing though that is for sure.  

• Thanks 2

To those who were asking, I apologize for my faulty memory. Looking at the Zips Media Guide (page 62), most goals scored were...

1. 14 vs. Youngstown State W, 14-1 1974

2. 12 vs. Cleveland State W, 12-2 2005

at Youngstown State W, 12-0 1981

vs. Western Reserve W, 12-2 1958

5. 10 vs Canisius W 10-0  2018 (9/15/18, new, to be added)

vs. Wright State W, 10-1 1983

vs. Cincinnati W, 10-0 1975

vs. Case Tech W, 10-0 1961

vs. Case Tech W, 10-2 1957

For others who may have been confused by our in-stadium announcer last night...

http://www.pronouncekiwi.com/Pacheco  (pronunciation in many languages, including Portugal [Portuguese]), none of which did I detect a silent "o"

Edited by Zip_ME87
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, ZipsVoice said:

You might want to listen to this before you post pronunciation guides....

@ZipsVoice

Thank you for this video which is the best way to hear how the players pronounce their own names. Listening to this video, Diogo Pacheco pronounces his last name the same as the Portuguese (Portugal) in the 2nd link that I posted. (I removed the first because it may have caused confusion being the Portuguese (Brazilian), which may be the reason for your comment.) My post was intended to clear up confusion because the stadium announcer was so far off from any of the pronunciations I provided above. He made me question whether I had been pronouncing it correctly or close to correct.

The athletics department should provide a pronunciation key to its announcers. Realize that the fans rely on the announcers since most fans don't hear the pronunciations directly from the players. I certainly needed, and appreciated the help with Ampaipitakwong when I first saw his name. Even with a pronunciation key, it helped to hear it from the announcers; today, it seems straightforward. Anyone can have a bad night; I understand. My post was meant to clarify for anyone who may have been confused, as I was, and not be a condemnation of the announcer.

Edited by Zip_ME87
  • Like 2

32 minutes ago, Zip_ME87 said:

I recall Victor Souto having 3 pk goals in one game. Did he also have an assist to make it 7 points?

I honestly did not know the answer when I posted the tweet from the MAC office.

I definitely remember Victor having 3 PK goals against Michigan State.

This info is included in an article on gozips.com

Registering a hat trick, while adding a pair of assists, including on the game-winning tally, Egbo's eight-point performance marked the best single-game effort for an Akron player since Victor Souto recorded a hat trick and an assist in a 4-1 victory over Michigan State on Oct. 21, 2015. His effort represented the second multi-goal game of the season for Egbo, who leads the Zips in goals (6), assists (3), points (15), shots (16), shots on goal (9) and game-winners (1).

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Zip_ME87 said:

@ZipsVoice...

(I removed the first because it may have caused confusion being the Portuguese (Brazilian), which may be the reason for your comment.) ...

@ZipsVoice ... In trying to understand your comment, I listened again to the video you posted on a different computer; In doing so, I realized it's not completely clear that Diogo Pacheco is pronouncing the "o" at the end of his surname,  I guess that was your comment, which I didn't understand, and why the stadium announcer may not have pronounced the "o". 

Edited by Zip_ME87