Game 5—Miami RedHawks

Dr Z

Essentially a must-win for the Zips if they want to "Finish the Climb" and make an appearance in Detroit again.

Miami doesn't look very good. They aren't terrible...but they aren't an upper-echelon MAC program this year.

Has Kato worked on his short, and intermediate passing accuracy during the off week?

Will our offensive live start getting a push in their run blocking now that we're done with the Power 5's?

Are some new faces going to begin appearing at the RB position?

Are MTB and Sands shaking off the rust and going to make an impact in MAC play?

This is the Zips' week #4. Will any Freshman be shut down for the year after Saturday? It doesn't seem like we've used a heck of a lot of Freshman this to-date?

Does Brian Reinke make some increased appearances at TE?

Has Newman Williams ever been this healthy in his post HS career?

Wonder how Brimmage's leg is doing?

A somewhat quiet start to the Walter Brady era at UA? Does he start flashing his SEC pedigree, or is he just a solid MAC lineman?

If the Zips offense makes an adequate showing on Saturday, we win big.

I'm going with 38-16 Zips. Unfortunately, in the rain, like it always is at InfoCision.

• Like 2

Miami's offense is significantly worse than Akron's, and they lean heavily on the passing game which I think matches up well with the strengths of Akron's defense. Win the turnover battle, win the game.

I do think that the bye couldn't have come at a better time this season. Right after playing two P5 teams on the road back-to-back and suffering our first loss in a game where our own mistakes likely cost us the game. Perfect time to work on improving and consistency before conference play.

Edited by ZachTheZip

35 minutes ago, Captain Kangaroo said:

A somewhat quiet start to the Walter Brady era at UA? Does he start flashing his SEC pedigree, or is he just a solid MAC lineman?

I think I saw Brady get his bell rung during the ISU game.  Like Zach stated above, last week was a perfect week for a bye.  I hope Brady's alright & ready to wreck havoc in the MAC!

Miami is a team that has seemingly been on the rise the past few years, has been bringing in solid recruiting classes, and is a team that beat us last year. Their record is bad at this point, but all of their losses have came against likely bowl teams.

I admittedly haven't watched them yet this year (plan to watch the WMU game sometime this week), but unless they have been hampered by injuries or Martin is losing momentum, I'd bet this team is better than their record and one we should not take lightly. Us coming off of a bye may help. My initial prediction is the Zips by 1-2 scores. We better not take them lightly or homecoming could be spoiled.

19 hours ago, Captain Kangaroo said:

This is the Zips' week #4. Will any Freshman be shut down for the year after Saturday? It doesn't seem like we've used a heck of a lot of Freshman this to-date?

It is my understanding that the correct metric is four games which could be played anytime during the season rather than the first four weeks of the season.

6 hours ago, Zipmeister said:

It is my understanding that the correct metric is four games which could be played anytime during the season rather than the first four weeks of the season.

True. But how many have will have made 4 game appearances after Oct 6th? I can't believe there are many, or any?

Redshirt watch (I may have missed a walk on or two in this and I'm only looking at freshman):

Morgan State: Brandon Bischoff, Keyondre White, Daishawn Brimage, Devanier Floyd, Jalen Hooks,  Zach DiLauro, RJ Kelly, Vincent Fonte, Logan Hawkins, Tim Scippio.

Northwestern: Brandon Bischoff, Daishawn Brimage, Jalen Hooks

Iowa State: Brandon Bischoff, Daishawn Brimage, Jalen Hooks, Tim Scippio

Info pulled from post game stats - participation report.

Edited by LZIp
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 3

Varsity “A” Sports Hall of Fame inductees will be introduced during the game.

The Class of 2018 — Jabari Arthur ‘07 (Football), Kurt Davidson ‘08 (Baseball), Caleb Porter (Soccer), Natalie Sako Switalski ‘07 (Track & Field), Sinisa Ubiparipovic ‘10 (Soccer), Bill Williamson ‘99 (Golf), and Krystin Wilson Ross‘08 (Soccer)— will be inducted during the Homecoming weekend. The Team of Distinction— the 1971-72 men’s basketball team, the Kenneth “Red” Cochrane Meritorious Service Awardees, Mark T. ‘78 and Cathy Clark, and the Mike Krino Varsity “A” Achievement Awardee, Greta Johnson ‘99, ‘01, ‘04 (Volleyball), will also be honored.   

3 hours ago, LZIp said:

Redshirt watch (I may have missed a walk on or two in this and I'm only looking at freshman):

Morgan State: Brandon Bischoff, Keyondre White, Daishawn Brimage, Devanier Floyd, Jalen Hooks,  Zach DiLauro, RJ Kelly, Vincent Fonte, Logan Hawkins, Tim Scippio.

Northwestern: Brandon Bischoff, Daishawn Brimage, Jalen Hooks

Iowa State: Brandon Bischoff, Daishawn Brimage, Jalen Hooks, Tim Scippio

Info pulled from post game stats - participation report.

RJ Kelly and Vincent Fonte are two names I would have expected to play in more games to-date.

I wonder if the staff is trying to get by with what we've got on the o-line until the last 3 games of the year, and then play them? It would be nice to have those two for 2019-22.

• Like 2

13 hours ago, Dr Z said:

Varsity “A” Sports Hall of Fame inductees will be introduced during the game.

The Class of 2018 — Jabari Arthur ‘07 (Football), Kurt Davidson ‘08 (Baseball), Caleb Porter (Soccer), Natalie Sako Switalski ‘07 (Track & Field), Sinisa Ubiparipovic ‘10 (Soccer), Bill Williamson ‘99 (Golf), and Krystin Wilson Ross‘08 (Soccer)— will be inducted during the Homecoming weekend. The Team of Distinction— the 1971-72 men’s basketball team, the Kenneth “Red” Cochrane Meritorious Service Awardees, Mark T. ‘78 and Cathy Clark, and the Mike Krino Varsity “A” Achievement Awardee, Greta Johnson ‘99, ‘01, ‘04 (Volleyball), will also be honored.   

How is Porter's name not first on this list and why isn't a bigger deal being made to boost attendance?

Speaking of attendance, the MLB did Akron zero favors with a 4:30pm start for the Indians on Saturday. 

15 hours ago, Dr Z said:

According to coaches presser above, Andy Jean-Baptiste out for season with broken leg. ?

A few other points made during the press conference that caught my attention. Coach Bowden commented that an important matchup this Saturday will be the receivers against the RedHawks defensive backs. According to coach, the RedHawks play a lot of man coverage, and he explained how important it will be for the receivers to win their one on one battles, and get open for Kato. Coach Bowden "Kato can throw the football, we have to have receivers get open." I'll have an eye on the receivers this week to see who is getting open. One thing that I have noticed since the end of last season is Jamal Davis. Coach Bowden remarked that Jamal has a motor that doesn't quit. He plays every down at full throttle. I've always appreciated that about him. Coach also commented that Josh Ward was starting to come on. I really enjoy watching Josh after the team makes a big play, especially on third down as the defense comes off the field. His enthusiasm is contagious. I'm extremely entertained watching this defense, anticipating a big play on every snap of the ball. 

• Like 1

On 10/2/2018 at 11:32 PM, Let'sGoZips94 said:

How is Porter's name not first on this list and why isn't a bigger deal being made to boost attendance?

Speaking of attendance, the MLB did Akron zero favors with a 4:30pm start for the Indians on Saturday. 

I think the really big fan big fan draw in this event will be Krystin Wilson Ross.  Any added attendance due to Porter should be marginal.