Game 5—Miami RedHawks

Dr Z

2 hours ago, zipsoutsider said:

Very unusual for Balsy to give up sonquickly....thinking ESPN+ has something to do with it.

Nice grab by Davis.

2 hours ago, MDZip said:

I think you might be giving up just a tad early

Glad I didn't stick around for this one and stopped watching when I did.  Losing to 1-4, 0-1 Miami on the Homecoming game...after beating Northwestern...and being 2-1 going into conference play, when having two-weeks to prepare for this game...is absolutely unacceptable.  It's beyond embarrassing.  The Zips had no business losing to 1-4 Miami...let alone 41-17.  I'm personally almost ready to call it quits on this season.  Hopefully you guys can talk me off the ledge...I've been in a foul mood lately...and the Zips were supposed to be my diversion for the week. :puke:

• Like 3
  • Sad 1

Our worries are over.  We don't have to worry about going to a bowl game.  We don't have to worry about driving to Detroit for a MAC Championship game.  We don't have to worry about parking in lot 1 the rest of the season, because there won't be many filled spaces.  We don't have to worry about Kato vs. Ramart, because the coaches must see something I didn't so far in KN.  Don't have to worry about people bad-talking the Zips, because no one will come back to see this s*@show.  I had my binocs stuck in my eyes most of the game, so help me out.  We're the receivers covered that well that Kato had to tuck it in and run so often?  Oh, forgot, we don't have to worry about seeing our team improve from making stupid extensive number of penalties.  Women's basketball just started, so men's will be around the corner and we can forget about how bad today really was.  Balsy was right to tune out early, wish I could have....

• Like 1

On 10/6/2018 at 8:15 PM, ZipsVoice said:

Our worries are over.  We don't have to worry about going to a bowl game.  We don't have to worry about driving to Detroit for a MAC Championship game.  We don't have to worry about parking in lot 1 the rest of the season, because there won't be many filled spaces.  We don't have to worry about Kato vs. Ramart, because the coaches must see something I didn't so far in KN.  Don't have to worry about people bad-talking the Zips, because no one will come back to see this s*@show.  I had my binocs stuck in my eyes most of the game, so help me out.  We're the receivers covered that well that Kato had to tuck it in and run so often?  Oh, forgot, we don't have to worry about seeing our team improve from making stupid extensive number of penalties.  Women's basketball just started, so men's will be around the corner and we can forget about how bad today really was.  Balsy was right to tune out early, wish I could have....

Men's BB opens in one month!   At least, Groce and crew seem to be making positive, forward-looking decision-making.  

Edited by NWAkron

I bought my ticket 10 minutes before the game and had no problem.  However, there was a very long line for the students to get their ticket and it looked like they only had one ticket window for students.   Not sure what was going on but if they want students to attend they should make it as easy as possible.  Also, the concession lines were also 20-30 deep.  They needed to open more concession stands.  The game day experience should be hassle free.

The Akron defense in the first quarter was amazing and we did not give up a first down.  In the second quarter we gave up a long drive and I think they were 5 for 5 on third downs.  I did not think Kato was that bad.  He missed some open receivers but I counted at least 5 drops and some were for big yardage.  Also, the refs killed us in the second half.  Every penalty in the 2nd half was against Akron.  Also, the last interception the ball clearly hit the ground but the call was not reversed.  We had several pass interference panalties that were hard to understand.  On one pass interference the ref dropped a flag for offensive pass interference after we were back in the huddle.  Our receiver was blocking downfield on the play but the ball was not near anyone.  Not sure if I understand that call.  We did not throw a deep ball all game.  Not sure why.  I also did not understand why when we were down 11 in the fourth quarter we went to the run.  Between the turnovers, the dropped passes, the missed receivers and the penalties we were bound to lose.  I was disppointed because I thought we played well against Northwestern and Iowa State.

9 hours ago, 1981 grad said:

I bought my ticket 10 minutes before the game and had no problem.  However, there was a very long line for the students to get their ticket and it looked like they only had one ticket window for students.   Not sure what was going on but if they want students to attend they should make it as easy as possible.  Also, the concession lines were also 20-30 deep.  They needed to open more concession stands.  The game day experience should be hassle free.

Students use their Zip card to get into the games.  Usually the lines are for giveaways of some sort.  If I saw correctly there was a free shirt giveaway to the first 1000 fans...which probably means that there was also a shirt giveaway for students.  But I don't know just spitballing.  Completely agree with you; they should make the gameday experience 1000x hassel free for students, so they enjoy their experience and want to come back.

Kinda hard to get them to come back when you lose 41-17 to the freaking Miami Redhawks.  

I'm sorry guys, I'm usually the optimistic one...but I can find nothing to be optimistic about.  All the upside from beating Northwestern and playing pretty decent against Iowa State is gone.  If they can somehow find a way to miraculously beat Buffalo next week then I'm willing to give them a mulligan on this game...but I'm not holding my breath.

Edited by Balsy

10 hours ago, 1981 grad said:

I bought my ticket 10 minutes before the game and had no problem.  However, there was a very long line for the students to get their ticket and it looked like they only had one ticket window for students.   Not sure what was going on but if they want students to attend they should make it as easy as possible.  

When I was a student we didn't need tickets. They just scanned my student id at the gate. Seems like a step in the wrong direction.

This looked like a different team compared to the first 3 games. A case of the team thinking they can just show up and win vs miami. The players deserve some blame, but it's mostly on the coaches for not having them ready. 

Edited by WD UA 2015

ABJ (GT): Miami pulls away to beat Zips 41-17 in MAC opener

Van Edwards rushed for 6 yards on 4 carries. ?

“Obviously, you don’t want to lose one of your best linemen,” Bowden said of Council’s absence. “We’ll have to look at the video, but I don’t know if that’s the whole thing. We’re a little bit thin there [offensive line] right now.”

After six (?) recruiting classes, who's fault is that?

Edited by Blue & Gold

After a solid first quarter, where the Zips D looked strong, Miami coaches adjusted and went “hurry up” offense and the defense was gassed (and gashed) the remainder of the game.  We had no answer and saw no adjustment on our side.  Kato’s Passes are so obvious and it’s like he’s aiming it instead of throwing it.  Ragland’s passes all had zip (excuse me) on them, released quickly with pace.  Kato telegraphs every pass.  Officiating was horrible, I agree.  But two weeks to prepare, two weeks to rest and heal, and this was what we got?  Hope everyone that got dinged up in the game are okay, some worrisome looking injuries...

21 hours ago, ZipsVoice said:

After a solid first quarter, where the Zips D looked strong, Miami coaches adjusted and went “hurry up” offense and the defense was gassed (and gashed) the remainder of the game.  We had no answer and saw no adjustment on our side.  Kato’s Passes are so obvious and it’s like he’s aiming it instead of throwing it.  Ragland’s passes all had zip (excuse me) on them, released quickly with pace.  Kato telegraphs every pass.  Officiating was horrible, I agree.  But two weeks to prepare, two weeks to rest and heal, and this was what we got?  Hope everyone that got dinged up in the game are okay, some worrisome looking injuries...

Miami was able to find a Plan B.  Bowden is basically a wing and a prayer coach.  There's no back up plan.  Just hope for a big play or a turnover.  One really bad officiating call led to a Miami iTD but the good teams regroup from that and hold them to a field goal or make a stop on 4th down.  

Edited by NWAkron

3 hours ago, Blue & Gold said:

ABJ (GT): Miami pulls away to beat Zips 41-17 in MAC opener

Van Edwards rushed for 6 yards on 4 carries. ?

“Obviously, you don’t want to lose one of your best linemen,” Bowden said of Council’s absence. “We’ll have to look at the video, but I don’t know if that’s the whole thing. We’re a little bit thin there [offensive line] right now.”

After six (?) recruiting classes, who's fault is that?

It is amazing to me that Bowden has been unable to successfully recruit offensive linemen during his six classes.  We are in the heartland of O linemen so there is no excuse to always have one injury derail the whole line.   With the MAC TV schedule dropping some weekday night games later in the season when the weather is tougher to play in we need to be able to run.  Kato couldn't complete passes consistently in perfect weather so just wait for rainy, windy fall nights when the wind is blowing.  

These are the same players that played good to great in their first three games. I have to think that Akron was working on their intermediate/short passing game during the bye week and were going to use it to beat Miami. It didn't work. Kato seemed to take too long to get rid of the ball (confusion?). During the game, I wondered why Morris was not targeted more. I watched as Sands, White and other RB's sat on the bench. The game seemed to turn on the shocking hit by Davis, and subsequent helmet popping injury, that sprang a called back TD. Anyhow, one game does not make or break a season. The score was embarrassing, but not as bad as the no face mask football helmet I saw an old man Miami fan wearing. I guess they got the last laugh though. On to Buffalo.                 

Edited by UA1987
  • Like 1

The sports publications predicted that Akron football,wouldn’t be good. why is everyone surprised or disappointed when they loose this was predicted.Look at the zips  coach he looks and always sounds confused all of the time.To me it’s seems like all of the recruits are projects?&just not big enough.It will take Terry 4 more years to get where he wants to be,hold on fans.The uniforms have gotten better and the players graduate.

This game was a buzz kill for the football program. Joe Akron actually came out to see this year's version of the Zips and we were horrible. He won't be back this year. As bad as we were I did not think Miami was all that good. They were just better prepared and disciplined. They let us kill our own drives with either turnovers, penalties or lack of hitting an open receiver. A trait of Bowden coached teams showed it ugly head, that is no discipline. It was apparent in our play. I hope Ramart gets a serious look this week as well as running backs who have speed and moves. finally, what happened to the O-Line? They were OK against the better defenses of Northwestern and Iowa State. I don't buy Council's injury causing the whole line to play so poorly.

Man, this hurts. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, UA1987 said:

The score was embarrassing, but not as bad as the no face mask football helmet I saw an old man Miami fan wearing. I guess they got the last laugh though. On to Buffalo.                 

Saw that guy too. He had a paper scoreboard he updated in real time to show everyone around him. It looked the best day of his life at the end of the game as excited as he was. I still lol thinking about it.

7 hours ago, 72 Roo said:

This game was a buzz kill for the football program. Joe Akron actually came out to see this year's version of the Zips and we were horrible. He won't be back this year. As bad as we were I did not think Miami was all that good. They were just better prepared and disciplined. They let us kill our own drives with either turnovers, penalties or lack of hitting an open receiver. A trait of Bowden coached teams showed it ugly head, that is no discipline. It was apparent in our play. I hope Ramart gets a serious look this week as well as running backs who have speed and moves. finally, what happened to the O-Line? They were OK against the better defenses of Northwestern and Iowa State. I don't buy Council's injury causing the whole line to play so poorly.

Man, this hurts. 

Not enough depth at o-Line, Council was starting guard & the right tackle got hurt, no one could fill the tackle spot in camp & they moved Council to tackle, insert Corne at guard, Council gets hurt & where at our 3rd tackle & 2nd guard, they are going to be competing this week for o-Line spots.  That would be my guess

Edited by 94zipgrad

On ‎10‎/‎6‎/‎2018 at 7:43 PM, NWAkron said:

So we lost out on over a million dollars from Nebraska.  We lost against one of the worst MAC teams and now have four away games in a row.  I'm looking for the upside.

I have seen a few references now to "four away games in a row". Where is that coming from? My schedule shows next two away then two at home.