Game 6—@Buffalo Bulls

Dr Z

Went to the game last week.  Felt like I watched the same game this week.   This offense sucks.  When Kato threw the last interception he looked confused at the line of scrimmage.  HIs back had to tap him to hike the ball.   Too many dropped balls, bad penalties and ref calls that killed us.  I wish they would give Kato an easy check down pass to a back when nothing is open.  Kato is best when he gets rid of the ball quickly.   We need to make adjustments on defense.  How many times  did their QB run for a first down on third down.  This looks like a long season!!

• Like 2

Wasn't really motivated to comment this season. But,I buy 2 season tix and have been for 20+ years. This season is in the dumper again. Please no talk about some meaningless bowl game.  It has been obvious for years that the lack of consistent offensive production has been the problem in the Bowden/Milwee era.If TB is not willing to ditch Milwee and TB's brother at the end of this season or sooner then the AD needs to call in whatever favors he has and buy them out! If the Zips lose to Kent,which now is possible,its over for this regime. TB got the program to a certain level.It appears he has hit the wall. Kind of like the Indians and Francona.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Lee Adams said:

None of this is the fault of the D. If your offense can't score a TD against a good MAC team,get out of the business!

Maybe not today, but did you not watch the 27 straight points Miami put up.   A 1 and 4 Miami team.  I agree the D is all we have, but 27 easy points....

8 hours ago, monrowe said:

The zips weren’t picked to be any good even with a decent defense,this was mentioned at the beginning of the season.The OC has to keep the offense generic because the offense is real young and he has no o-line or running back.

Dont be to upset because you have a good coaching staff who’s willing to develop remedial footballers.

A huge part of coaching in college athletics is recruiting. If you want to blame the lack of talent on the team that's on the coaches for not recruiting better players.

Edited by kreed5120

I would ditch every play that involves a run pass option. Any play that involves one of these, mostly causes confusion, penalties, turnovers, or negative yards. I would love to see more trap blocking instead of RPOs. I can't remember the game last season where the Zips successfully run a bunch of these with Deltron, but it was fun to watch. Design an offensive plan that is more simplistic that does not include Kato running the ball at all. Stay in the pocket, and throw the ball, so he can progress as a passer. And please run more plays to Maverick. I watched a practice this offseason where the ball went to him every third play. I was convinced he was going to have a big year. Every time he touches the ball good things happen. He and MTB bring a physical play to the offense. I've seen Kato make good decisions running the four vertical concept, I would enjoy watching more of that as well. 

Get rid of instant replay. It's garbage, and doesn't work. I watch the replay on a 55 inch led tv with perfect light in my living room, while the ref watches a 7 inch monitor on the field in sunlight. That makes zero sense to me. 

I'm not sure I understand the Zips punting concept. If I play the Zips I rush the punter every time. 

We missed Brian Bell and Alvin Davis yesterday. Those two help create turnovers that seem imperative for this team to win. 

As far as positives I witnessed, it was the most effective I have seen Van run this year, and it was the best game Brady has played as a Zip. The Zips can kick a long field goal. 

We have to win next week, or the season's wheels are off. I think the Kent game comes at the perfect time this year.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

On 10/13/2018 at 11:10 PM, ZipsVoice said:

Last 4 drives...6 plays 57 yds.  14 plays 58 yds.  3 plays 88 yds.   Then a fig.  “Very good”?  Don’t think so....

My only response would be that if the Offense had stayed on the field,put some drives together and put some points on the board,the Defense would not have been hung out to dry on a hot,humid day. Miami's D didn't have to operate under those circumstances. Bottom line:coaches didn't have this team prepared.

• Like 1

On 10/14/2018 at 9:02 AM, Dr Z said:

I would ditch every play that involves a run pass option. Any play that involves one of these, mostly causes confusion, penalties, turnovers, or negative yards. I would love to see more trap blocking instead of RPOs. I can't remember the game last season where the Zips successfully run a bunch of these with Deltron, but it was fun to watch. Design an offensive plan that is more simplistic that does not include Kato running the ball at all. Stay in the pocket, and throw the ball, so he can progress as a passer. And please run more plays to Maverick. I watched a practice this offseason where the ball went to him every third play. I was convinced he was going to have a big year. Every time he touches the ball good things happen. He and MTB bring a physical play to the offense. I've seen Kato make good decisions running the four vertical concept, I would enjoy watching more of that as well. 

I will agree and disagree. Yes, get rid of the RPO. It has been a disaster for us. Kato had success and fell into a rhythm against Miami, early, when we ran very short pass plays. Where I disagree is that I think Kato looks for receivers 1 and 2 and then runs if nothing there. He is interception prone when he tries to extend the play, too much waiting for someone to get open. But yes, keep it simple. 

100% agree with Wolfley. I had not paid attention to his blocking and that could be why we do not see him more. 

Council was a complete stud until he got hurt. We have depth, they are just inexperienced. About 1/2 of the OL are either R-Fr or true Fr.

large.Screenshot_20181020-085349_Edge.jp

Just now, zipsoutsider said:

I will agree and disagree. Yes, get rid of the RPO. It has been a disaster for us. Kato had success and fell into a rhythm against Miami, early, when we ran very short pass plays. Where I disagree is that I think Kato looks for receivers 1 and 2 and then runs if nothing there. He is interception prone when he tries to extend the play, too much waiting for someone to get open. But yes, keep it simple. 

100% agree with Wolfley. I had not paid attention to his blocking and that could be why we do not see him more. 

Council was a complete stud until he got hurt. We have depth, they are just inexperienced. About 1/2 of the OL are either R-Fr or true Fr.

large.Screenshot_20181020-085349_Edge.jp

• 4 months later...