Game 7—@Kent State Golden Flashes

Dr Z

I think records get thrown out of the window for rivalry games. KSU came to play. They thought they could win. KSU has also had some OK games, despite their record. They are defenitely not last year's KSU.

I tip my hat to KN1 for playing his heart out. I am still not sold on him, but he put it all out there, today. Bowden has said we need someone who can take it to the house and it appears to be KN1 until someone else steps up.

The defense started to look like the old defense, today. Jamal Davis had a huge game and Brock Boxen showed us why there was excitement before the broken leg. Any idea when Bell will be back? Is it injury or discipline related?

2 hours ago, UA1987 said:

I don't know what everyone is talking about in previous posts. What a great win! Did anyone notice the players out for the OT coin toss. Did Kent send out only Matt Bahr and no one shook hands? Anyhow, I thought the Zips played pretty damn good. How can you feel bad about an overtime 1 point away victory against your rival especially when they screwed up! I love it! Go Zips!    

My friend you are sick. A good team beats this Kent team by 21. The only good thing about today was that we won. But we did not get better.

• Like 1

The problem is that the teams looked equally matched.   Cato and Williams were awesome.   I'm not an excuse person but the conditions were terrible.  The wind would gust out of nowhere.   In first quarter the wind gave Zips awesome field position but Zips didn't take advantage as it played havoc with the Kent kicking game.

3 hours ago, UA1987 said:

I don't know what everyone is talking about in previous posts. What a great win! Did anyone notice the players out for the OT coin toss. Did Kent send out only Matt Bahr and no one shook hands? Anyhow, I thought the Zips played pretty damn good. How can you feel bad about an overtime 1 point away victory against your rival especially when they screwed up! I love it! Go Zips!    

It sure does look nice seeing the score on the tickers watching the other college games...makes me smile. :D:D:D

8 hours ago, NWAkron said:

From my perspective in the stands, one just couldnt tell.  Watching replay and the roughing the passer on Kent was quite questionable.

That roughing the passer penalty should have never been called.  Football & the refs have to figure out what's going on.  Idk, maybe this belongs in the "We'll Always Have Football" thread, but the sport's in a strange place right now.

I was on the #FireBowden bandwagon for about 10 days.  

Last night I jumped off.  

-We've won 4-straight vs KSUcks.

-I'm very happy with our recruiting (which is HUGE). (Thank you, Coach Mounds.)

-We're in the running for our 3rd bowl game in 4 years.  

Akron football is at a level it's never been before.  

But still... I just want more.

Something just feels... off. 

I hate our under-achieving offense & desperately want to see something shook up.

#DemoteMilwee

• Like 1

ABJ: For Akron, overtime win over Kent State could flip season in right direction

With the Zips leading 10-3 with less than a minute left in the first half, coach Terry Bowden rolled the dice and looked to put at least one nail in the Golden Flashes’ coffin.

Instead, KSU cornerback Darryl Marshall picked off Nelson’s pass with 49 seconds left in the half, providing his offensive teammates a much-needed lift from their own 24-yard line. Flush with adrenaline, quarterback Woody Barrett led a five-play, 76-yard drive capped by his 22-yard, read-option run up the gut of the UA defense, which was without starting middle linebacker Brian Bell.

Bowden took the bullet for that call. He said he made a vow to be aggressive for this game, understanding what was at stake. He can’t be faulted for doing exactly what’s been needed to spark an offense that’s barely learned to walk at this point, especially in a rivalry game that could flip the Zips’ fortunes.

Edited by Blue & Gold

2 minutes ago, Blue & Gold said:

I was on the #FireBowden bandwagon for about 10 days.  

Last night I jumped off.  

-We've won 4-straight vs KSUcks.

-I'm very happy with our recruiting (which is HUGE). (Thank you, Coach Mounds.)

-We're in the running for our 3rd bowl game in 4 years.  

Akron football is at a level it's never been before.  

But still... I just want more.

Something just feels... off. 

I hate our under-achieving offense & desperately want to see something shook up.

#DemoteMilwee

Is our offense under-achieving or inexperienced? Apart from Kyle Ritz we do not have a senior on offense leading the way. All of our big plays are being made by freshmen and sophomores. This has a lot to do with why we we were picked to finish 4th in the MAC. At times, they show flashes of greatness but have not matured to consistency. 

12 hours ago, 72 Roo said:

My friend you are sick. A good team beats this Kent team by 21. The only good thing about today was that we won. But we did not get better.

Now that we are friends I have to ask are you anedonic? Ohio only beat the birds by 1. I was entertained by this game and loved the outcome. Poor Can't losing two by 1 point this year and their only win is against a FCS team. I do hate to say it , but Sean Lewis is recruiting well so these games will continue to hard fought in the future. Our schedule going forward is difficult. Would you believe it if I said that Eastern Michigan may be our toughest game left? Probably not.        

14 minutes ago, UA1987 said:

Now that we are friends I have to ask are you anedonic? Ohio only beat the birds by 1. I was entertained by this game and loved the outcome. Poor Can't losing two by 1 point this year and their only win is against a FCS team. I do hate to say it , but Sean Lewis is recruiting well so these games will continue to hard fought in the future. Our schedule going forward is difficult. Would you believe it if I said that Eastern Michigan may be our toughest game left? Probably not.        

Is or isn't difficult?  Don't we have CMU and BG at home.

My Kent grad friend compares Bowden to Senderoff.  Does just enough to save his skin each year.

Edited by NWAkron
  • Like 1

BFF, perhaps I overstated the margin we should have won by, but we still hear the same old excuses as to why we underachieve. The OL has been unable to run block for four years. In past years we said these guys were going to be so good because they had been together for three years. Mediocre linemen with no explosiveness stay mediocre and against good teams i.e. Toledo, FAU, NIU, they underperform. Our offensive play calling is horrible and has been so for years. This board has railed against Milwee. Bowden seems satisfied. Special teams are a joke. Discipline is non-existent. We repeatedly stop our own drives, or keep the opponent's going, with player-control penalties. Recruiting is the only bright spot I see, but it is still not producing a team we can be proud of. I do agree that EMU may be even better than Buffalo.

14 hours ago, 72 Roo said:

The only way we tell if this was a significant win is if they back it up with at least 5 total  MAC wins this season. I think that's 1 less than last year? That means they have to beat at least 1 quality team out of the next 5. Is it NIU? Is it OU? Not quite ready to place CMU or EMU with the elite quite yet. Certainly Buffalo going into Toledo and winning kind of separates them for the time being. 

Until this team cleans up the things people on this site have been talking about endlessly,especially offensively, there will be no consistent winning especially against the top tier of the MAC.

One question,how many total MAC wins will it take this season to avoid the AD making significant changes inside the program?

1 hour ago, UA1987 said:

NIU? OU?

32 minutes ago, Lee Adams said:

The only way we tell if this was a significant win is if they back it up with at least 5 total  MAC wins this season. I think that's 1 less than last year? That means they have to beat at least 1 quality team out of the next 5. Is it NIU? Is it OU? Not quite ready to place CMU or EMU with the elite quite yet. Certainly Buffalo going into Toledo and winning kind of separates them for the time being. 

Until this team cleans up the things people on this site have been talking about endlessly,especially offensively, there will be no consistent winning especially against the top tier of the MAC.

One question,how many total MAC wins will it take this season to avoid the AD making significant changes inside the program?

Buffalo, Toledo, NIU, WMU, built programs that can get 8 wins and trounce MAC teams.   That's what we should expect from the coaching staff 

Happy to come out of yesterday with a win. Wasn't perfect, but I'll take it. Not going to get into some in-depth post regarding the state of the program yet, but I'll just say hopefully we can build on it. Another should be win next week vs CMU. If we take care of business, we all of the sudden have a winning record again.

What's up with Brian Bell? I don't recall him getting injured vs Buff, but he didn't play much then either.

It's 12:50.......and kent state still sucks!