Game 7—@Kent State Golden Flashes

Dr Z

16 minutes ago, Dr Z said:

Kent is 115th in the nation in run defense allowing 205 yards a game. The Zips need to get their run game going. I want to see some run oriented personnel packages this week. POUND the ball, POUND Kent!

Dear Football Gods,

What Dr. Z meant to say was POUND THE BALL, BUT PLEASE TEAR THE DELAYED HAND-OFF PLAY OUT OF MILWEE'S PLAYBOOK. Thank you. 

Sincerely, 

ZipsNation

• Like 6

1 hour ago, LZIp said:

Pivotal game in regards to the season/Bowden's job. Win and we are still on track to go bowling. Lose and it probably all but seals this regime's fate barring some unforeseen circumstances.

If the team that beat NW and played tough at ISU shows up,Zips win. If the team and preparation we have seen the last 2 weeks shows up,unfortunately could be 'all she wrote'. KSU is not good. But, one has to imagine that KSU now sees an opportunity to make its season with this one. Should not have come to this,but....

21 minutes ago, Lee Adams said:

If the team that beat NW and played tough at ISU shows up,Zips win. If the team and preparation we have seen the last 2 weeks shows up,unfortunately could be 'all she wrote'. KSU is not good. But, one has to imagine that KSU now sees an opportunity to make its season with this one. Should not have come to this,but....

Bowden always does just enough to keep a grip on his paycheck.  Expect a win at Kent

Apparently, their new QB went to Auburn, Ole Miss, then went JUCO prior to Kent. He has 7 TD's and 8 INT'S so far. Had 78 yards rushing in the 1 point Ohio loss. Akron will have to fire on all cylinders to win as I expect Kent to be ready to play. It would be interesting to put a microphone on a few players to hear what is being said on the field. Look for tempers to flare. I would not want to be on the bottom of the pile in this one (watch for turning ankles and broken fingers). In other words - a rivalry game. I hope not to see any taunting or walking over downed players as that is low class.                 

Edited by UA1987

Coach “we are running out of conference games to lose”

Coach speaking about the running game totals “we don’t have any long runs, that’s what we need, our longest run is twelve yards" 

Coach speaking on replays “I thought there was a trapped ball and a step out of bounds”

Alvin Davis is ready to go. No mention of Bell..who doesn’t appear on the pseudo-injury list.

Coach “we hope to get Quad back”

On Jeremiah Knight returning punts last week…”he just kept progressing, and studies film every spare minute. He was so intent on going to Columbus, nobody recruited him in the MAC. He is a special player" 

• Like 1

ABJ (GT): Zips preparing to dig themselves out of hole in conference play

The proof of that lack of production is in the numbers for UA. They rank 124th nationally in overall offense and 110th in scoring offense with 23.2 points per game...

Until they can find the groove for their anemic running game — which ranks 117th in the country averaging 111.4 yards a game...

Have to hand it to the team for this:

The good thing for the Zips right now is that no one is pointing fingers. If anything, the[y] continue to show a certain resolve.

• Like 1

We have not seen a trick play all year. I would say we are due for one against Kent, even if it is just the play where Kato catches a pass. I wouldn't mind seeing us try a reverse, with Knight, either.

It's time to move on from unproductive seniors on offense at WR, TE, and RB. Let some of these new guys get the experience and make plays.

Also, not a lot of looks to Nate Stewart. That also needs to change. 

• Like 1

ABJ (GT): Season on the line for Zips as they face cross-county rival

They’ve dug themselves a hole with that 0-2 conference start and adding another “L” to that tally at this stage of the season would all-but end their hopes of repeating as East Division champs...

But UA has been playing flat football — at least on the offensive side of the ball...

They had a group of inexperienced receivers and an offensive line that needed work and has since been hit with a season-ending injury to a starter...

^^After six recruiting classes that's an excuse, not a reason.

It's Kent Week & I'm meh and I hate it. 

At least GT's not mincing words: They haven’t reached the end zone as an offense in six quarters, the last touchdown coming on defense. Offensively, they’ve been anemic.

Edited by Blue & Gold
  • Like 1

15 hours ago, Blue & Gold said:

ABJ (GT): Season on the line for Zips as they face cross-county rival

They’ve dug themselves a hole with that 0-2 conference start and adding another “L” to that tally at this stage of the season would all-but end their hopes of repeating as East Division champs...

But UA has been playing flat football — at least on the offensive side of the ball...

They had a group of inexperienced receivers and an offensive line that needed work and has since been hit with a season-ending injury to a starter...

^^After six recruiting classes that's an excuse, not a reason.

It's Kent Week & I'm meh and I hate it. 

At least GT's not mincing words: They haven’t reached the end zone as an offense in six quarters, the last touchdown coming on defense. Offensively, they’ve been anemic.

I take it the season ending OL injury is Council?

Its a shame we are posting this kind of stuff before the 3rd MAC game. Broken record in some respects. Offensive issues all over the place. Seems like that has been a problem for a number of seasons,even when they won. I still can not understand why there has not at least been a change in who is responsible for the offense. Are the players being put in the best positions to succeed. I read a comment from another MAC coach in one of the pre-season pubs. He liked the defense a lot. But, he also said he couldn't figure out what they were actually trying to do offensively.

In any event,KSU has a decent running back. That is only relative however. They have a few decent guys on the defensive side of the ball. If the Zips commit turnovers on offense,take stupid penalties(like they tend to) KSU will stay in the game and have a puncher's chance. If the coaches don't have the offense moving and scoring early mistakes will decide. Of course they need to run EFFECTIVELY. But,pounding the ball is not in the Zip's DNA. Hopefully,KN is paying attention early. Hopefully,he becomes more of a leader on the field. Hopefully.....

• Like 1