Twelfth Game

GJGood

Is anything being done, or even considered, to schedule a fourth non-conference game at the end of the season if it is needed to acquire bowl eligibility either for the Zips or whomever a perspective opponent might be? I know there was talk about this after the Nebraska cancellation and they have since scheduled Bethune-Cookman, should Akron have a tentative 12th game?

8 minutes ago, GJGood said:

Is anything being done, or even considered, to schedule a fourth non-conference game at the end of the season if it is needed to acquire bowl eligibility either for the Zips or whomever a perspective opponent might be? I know there was talk about this after the Nebraska cancellation and they have since scheduled Bethune-Cookman, should Akron have a tentative 12th game?

Larry best be getting on it now with no MAC-C in sight. It would be nice if a media member would ask him/Bowden about that. A bowl game at 6-6 might feel kind of meh to a lot of people, but it is still a positive achievement that looks good for the program/to recruits.

16 hours ago, LZIp said:

Larry best be getting on it now with no MAC-C in sight. It would be nice if a media member would ask him/Bowden about that. A bowl game at 6-6 might feel kind of meh to a lot of people, but it is still a positive achievement that looks good for the program/to recruits.

Agreed. If you are sitting at 6-6 that means your team can certainly use the extra practices and game to prepare for next season

Feels like the same song and yet another verse - injuries (I know, I know ... everybody has them) preventing us from playing our best football and an offense (QB and coordinator) that is just uninspiring. I'm at 'meh' already but always hopeful something might click that salvages the season. At this point though, adding a 12th game? Meh ... .

• Like 3

1 hour ago, GoZips88 said:

Feels like the same song and yet another verse - injuries (I know, I know ... everybody has them) preventing us from playing our best football and an offense (QB and coordinator) that is just uninspiring. I'm at 'meh' already but always hopeful something might click that salvages the season. At this point though, adding a 12th game? Meh ... .

I understand that sentiment but if adding a twelfth means a potential 13th then this program should do it.

• Like 1

Does anyone even have a list of teams available that week? Another FCS opponent won't do us any good as you can only count 1 win per year against them. That limits us to 128 FBS schools. Of those, how many haven't exceeded the 12 game limit (13 for Hawaii or any team that played at Hawaii)?  Of those how many do we have a punchers chance against? Below are the select few that I could think of. There might be some that I'm missing. 

- Marshall

- Southern Miss

- East Carolina

- Wyoming

- UNLV

1 hour ago, zippy5 said:

Not that I'm entertaining the thought of firing TB by any means but waiting until 3/1 to do it and save $100K would end up costing us a lot more in the long run than doing it asap. If you're into the fire TB thing

Absolutely. It would look really bad and a lot of attrition would happen if we signed a bunch of recruits and then fired the staff they chose to play for a month later. Not to mention the new staff would already be way behind in prep for the following season. If this happens, it happens soon after the conclusion of the season.

Edited by LZIp

38 minutes ago, LZIp said:

Absolutely. It would look really bad and a lot of attrition would happen if we signed a bunch of recruits and then fired the staff they chose to play for a month later. Not to mention the new staff would already be way behind in prep for the following season. If this happens, it happens soon after the conclusion of the season.

That too, but hiring a HC after virtually every other opening is filled wouldn't be the smartest avenue to finding an upgrade.

11 minutes ago, Blue & Gold said:

Keep Otis Mounds & a few others to keep the recruiting class corralled while bringing in the New HC.  

You can do that, right? 

I would be shocked if Mounds was kept if Bowden was let go. I feel like the new staff is going to want their guys. I like just about everything except our offense in regards to our program right now. That's why as of today if I had to pick a change, it would be only MIlwee. If TB refuses to make a game, well....

• Like 1

19 hours ago, GoZips88 said:

Yup it's sad I've already checked out as well.  You can't go from beating Northwestern in our first Big-10 win ever to losing to 1-4 Miami of Ohio and expect even the die-hards to feel anything else but "meh".

16 hours ago, kreed5120 said:

Does anyone even have a list of teams available that week? Another FCS opponent won't do us any good as you can only count 1 win per year against them. That limits us to 128 FBS schools. Of those, how many haven't exceeded the 12 game limit (13 for Hawaii or any team that played at Hawaii)?  Of those how many do we have a punchers chance against? Below are the select few that I could think of. There might be some that I'm missing. 

- Marshall

- Southern Miss

- East Carolina

- Wyoming

- UNLV

I thought there would be more available due to hurricane cancellations. As far as the FCS thing goes I believe you are correct that two FCS wins to get to 6 does not equal the first round of bowl eligibility but I thought there was a second level where if there were more bowl slots than eligible teams that 6 wins with 2 over FCS game in ahead of things like APR scores. Maybe I am mistaken.

Of the teams mentioned above, do any of them look to be headed for a record around 5-6? To get it scheduled the opponent would have to want to play too.

Has anybody else given any thought to the logistics of adding any additional NCAA sporting event for both schools involved?  And then think how much harder doing so for a football game, where 150 plus personnel are involved team-alone?  Scheduling a venue, lining up support staff, lining up referees and officials, selling tickets, making sure all contractual arrangements are covered, etc, etc etc....?  It's got to be tough enough to do one season to the next, let alone in a 6 week time-frame.  And would the effort and additional costs really pay-off, if we won the potential game to move to 6-6?  To go to another low-level bowl, and try to attract a few...very few....recruits who might see going to a Tart Cherry Bowl as some sort of nirvana?

Count me on the "Meh" side as Balsy says.....

13 minutes ago, ZipsVoice said:

Has anybody else given any thought to the logistics of adding any additional NCAA sporting event for both schools involved? 

I have not, but Nebraska finalized an agreement in less than a month to play Bethune-Cookman next weekend, and Nebraska isn't even good at football. I think it could be done. 

1 hour ago, GJGood said:

I thought there would be more available due to hurricane cancellations. As far as the FCS thing goes I believe you are correct that two FCS wins to get to 6 does not equal the first round of bowl eligibility but I thought there was a second level where if there were more bowl slots than eligible teams that 6 wins with 2 over FCS game in ahead of things like APR scores. Maybe I am mistaken.

Of the teams mentioned above, do any of them look to be headed for a record around 5-6? To get it scheduled the opponent would have to want to play too.

There were more teams. I excluded teams like WV, who I don't think we have much chance against and excluded teams like Appalachian State who are currently 4-1 so likely would have no incentive to play the game.

If we're 5-6, I honestly hope Bowden would be fired at that point. I honestly don't think a 12th game will get played.

Edited by kreed5120

12 minutes ago, Dr Z said:

I have not, but Nebraska finalized an agreement in less than a month to play Bethune-Cookman next weekend, and Nebraska isn't even good at football. I think it could be done. 

Nebraska doesn't want to refund the 85k fans that paid to see Nebraska & Akron play.

28 minutes ago, kreed5120 said:

There were more teams. I excluded teams like WV, who I don't think we have much chance against and excluded teams like Appalachian State who are currently 4-1 so likely would have no incentive to play the game.

If we're 5-6, I honestly hope Bowden would be fired at that point. I honestly don't think a 12th game will get played.

I believe UNC is also looking at an 11 game season. Your point is well taken though. Is it worth it if we don't have much chance to win? The other side of that is could going to a place like Chapel Hill be similar to a bowl game as far as playing a power 5 school at the end of the season?

2 hours ago, GJGood said:

I believe UNC is also looking at an 11 game season. Your point is well taken though. Is it worth it if we don't have much chance to win? The other side of that is could going to a place like Chapel Hill be similar to a bowl game as far as playing a power 5 school at the end of the season?

If it looks like Nebraska has a chance to screw us out of our appearance fee, I'd guess that the income from a game in Chapel Hill would offset it?

• Like 1

I don't know how much UNC normally pays to opponents for out of conference games or if an end of year scenario for bowl eligibility would carry the same amount anyway. I was just spitballing names of teams playing 11 games and UNC is one that is also a power 5 that would replace the P5 we didn't play in Nebraska. UNC may not make it to the 5 win mark though,

7 hours ago, kreed5120 said:

Mounds has done a great job, but I'm not a fan of not allowing a new coach to pick his staff.

Not firing Mounds at the same time as the rest of the staff is not the same as him being retained by the next staff.

I can guarantee a 12th game win against almost any team if the other team is forced to use Milwee as their OC, and we use a trained goat for ours.

• Like 4