Twelfth Game

GJGood

For what its worth, our Iowa State AD went to work right away and announced within two weeks (on Sept 12th) that we would have a game on Dec 1st with Incarnate Word (San Antonio), an FCS team to replace our cancelled game with an FCS team.  He had to buy out their opponent (Northern Alabama who I think is now playing a replacement game for someone else).  Of course, it will all be for naught when we play for the Big 12 championship on Dec 1st!  

P.S.  All previous tickets will be honored for the replacement game!

Edited by Cykron

• 2 weeks later...
14 hours ago, UAZippers said:

An FCS game would be almost completely pointless, wouldn't it? Only 1 fcs win can be counted towards bowl eligibility. I guess it might be nice for player development, but I'm doubtful how much it would help at the end of the season. 

Zips can petition the NCAA for a waiver due to circumstances.... NCAA has approved for other programs in the past.. question is will we need the 12th game?  The way we are playing now.. I doubt it.

8 minutes ago, K-Roo said:

Zips can petition the NCAA for a waiver due to circumstances.... NCAA has approved for other programs in the past.. question is will we need the 12th game?  The way we are playing now.. I doubt it.

Zips are is good position to win the rest of their games.   So will be 8-3.  Won't need this extra game.

• Confused 1

14 hours ago, zippy5 said:

Yeah doesn't make much sense to me

If they had not lost their first two MAC games probably wouldn't be worried about this. But,unless they play far better on offense than we have seen the last three weeks won't matter anyway. Besides,there would be no guarantee that a 6 win Akron team would be invited to a bowl game.

2 minutes ago, Lee Adams said:

If they had not lost their first two MAC games probably wouldn't be worried about this. But,unless they play far better on offense than we have seen the last three weeks won't matter anyway. Besides,there would be no guarantee that a 6 win Akron team would be invited to a bowl game.

We are on a winning streak.  And won those games in terrible conditions.  Not sure what everyone is worried about 

1 hour ago, Lee Adams said:

A win over a 2nd 1-AA team is still a 6 win Akron team though.. Only one 1-AA win a year counts. This would just be an extra scrimmage in December for all intents and purposes

19 hours ago, UAZippers said:

An FCS game would be almost completely pointless, wouldn't it? Only 1 fcs win can be counted towards bowl eligibility. I guess it might be nice for player development, but I'm doubtful how much it would help at the end of the season. 

Should there not be enough bowl eligible teams to populate all of the bowl slots, I believe a 6 win team with two FCS wins would be higher in the pecking order than 5 win teams with a standard 12 game schedule. That being said I wish we would get another FBS team on the schedule just in case.

Do we really need a 12th game?  We have 4 games in NIU, EMU, BGSU, & Ohio to get 2 victories.  If we can’t get 2 than we don’t deserve a bowl & who we going to find FBS we could beat?  And, what state of mind would the players be in if they had another game December 1st that isn’t MACC?  I think we can get 2 to be 6-5 & go to the Bahamas Bowl (personal preference)

Edited by 94zipgrad
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, 94zipgrad said:

Do we really need a 12th game?  We have 4 games in NIU, EMU, BGSU, & Ohio to get 2 victories.  If we can’t get 2 than we don’t deserve a bowl & who we going to find FBS we could beat?  And, what state of mind would the players be in if they had another game December 1st that isn’t MACC?  I think we can get 2 to be 6-5 & go to the Bahamas Bowl (personal preference)

How many of those last four games will the Zips be favored to win? I only see one. The team is capable of winning them all but they won't be expected to. Any planning for a 12th game needs to happen now.

17 minutes ago, GJGood said:

How many of those last four games will the Zips be favored to win? I only see one. The team is capable of winning them all but they won't be expected to. Any planning for a 12th game needs to happen now.

I see us beating Ohio and BGSU. NIU is a toss-up and EMU will be tougher for us to beat.

I can't see it happening because it would cost at least $250,000 to bring a team to Akron, and that isn't in the budget. Especially with our Nebraska $1,000,000 not being a sure thing.

I think 94Grad has it right...take care of business with the remaining 11 games and earn the bowl eligibility. Don't beat BG and a 1-AA program and try to "buy your way in."

NIU has a good chance to be a repeat of 2017's OU game. If the offense can show up. We have a mid-tier-Big10-level defense, and an offense that really hasn't shown up since Northwestern. It's time the O pulls it's weight. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

On 10/29/2018 at 9:38 PM, UAZippers said:

At least it would make Coach Bowdenmilwee's record look a little better (if we win) and keep him around a little longer. And give us a little exposure to the Missouri Valley Conference in case we leave the MAC.

Edited by ZippyRulz

6 hours ago, 94zipgrad said:

Ya, lets stop with the gyrations. If they have to 'drop down' and play a second FCS(1-AA) team just to TRY to get a bowl bid what message does that send about the progress of the program or lack thereof? What message does it send to the players? The fans? You can not assume a win at Nebraska. Hope but not assume. Lets win at least 2 of the last 4. That means you have to beat at least one more quality team,NIU,OU or EMU. Thats legit. Walk in the front door.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Lee Adams said:

Ya, lets stop with the gyrations. If they have to 'drop down' and play a second FCS(1-AA) team just to TRY to get a bowl bid what message does that send about the progress of the program or lack thereof? What message does it send to the players? The fans? You can not assume a win at Nebraska. Hope but not assume. Lets win at least 2 of the last 4. That means you have to beat at least one more quality team,NIU,OU or EMU. Thats legit. Walk in the front door.

If getting to 6 wins and making a bowl game is what it takes for Bowden to keep his job, I'm fully confident he'll find a way to achieve that. He seems to have a knack for meeting bare minimum standards.