Duquesne coming to Akron

ewbrooman1

1 hour ago, NWAkron said:

Is it at the JAR?  I'm sure Duquesne is paying for the use of the arena.

The article doesn't specify. KD does mention St.V. in the video clip. They might even play in the LBJ gym, especially if they wrap the event around LBJ and the I Promise school. It holds 1800. Firestone holds 2200. I have no problem with KD, but not really sure UA should help out here. ( I admit I didn't recall Radford made the NCAA tournament last year, though. Might want a bigger venue)

Edited by ewbrooman1

12 hours ago, Spin said:

So he's going to come in and upstage the Zips.

D bag...

Not really. We'll be in Cayman Islands. Brings some people to Akron. Hopefully Luigi's will get a bump.

ETA: UA should offer its facilities to (most) any event that brings out of towners to campus.

Edited by ZippyRulz

1 hour ago, ZippyRulz said:

Not really. We'll be in Cayman Islands. Brings some people to Akron. Hopefully Luigi's will get a bump.

ETA: UA should offer its facilities to (most) any event that brings out of towners to campus.

I'd agree with this in most any other case, but my biggest beef is Duquesne showcasing its brand to the recruits in our area, especially when they aren't going to be playing us. 

• Like 6

11 hours ago, Captain Kangaroo said:

The defending A-10 10th place champs invade Akron? Playing at a high school gym? Sounds too good to be true? Heard nosebleeds are going for $125 bucks on StubHub. Gonna be awesome!:rock:

Playing in front of 50 people. Is that more than they usually get for normal home games?

I get that it's kind of a homecoming for KD, but in my gut, this just doesn't feel right in that it gives him an unfair advantage in that school.  I remember there being a rule that high school teams can't play in college venues during the "dead period" and that's not the case here, but this just has a bad smell.  Not saying there's anything sinister going on here, it just looks bad. 

Good thing Lunden McDay is already committed to OU.  Can you imagine the questions if he decommitted sometime after this game and ended up at Duquesne?

Edited by clarkwgriswold
  • Like 1

13 minutes ago, clarkwgriswold said:

I get that it's kind of a homecoming for KD, but in my gut, this just doesn't feel right in that it gives him an unfair advantage in that school.  I remember there being a rule that high school teams can't play in college venues during the "dead period" and that's not the case here, but this just has a bad smell.  Not saying there's anything sinister going on here, it just looks bad. 

Good thing Lunden McDay is already committed to OU.  Can you imagine the questions if he decommitted sometime after this game and ended up at Duquesne?

Dambrot can have his "Saint V Pipeline." What did it get him while he was at UA? In eleven years...Josh Williams? The Travis/Dru/Rome crew was recruited maybe 15 years ago?

6 hours ago, kreed5120 said:

Personally, I'm indifferent to it. I don't see a no name program playing a 1-off game at Akron making any impact whatsoever. Now if Dayton or Pitt started to come to Akron to play an annual game, I might start making a fuss.

Good news.  I'm pretty sure you don't have to worry about either of those possibilities.

• 3 weeks later...

Talk about a kick in the chest. 

For the record I am still not on board with John Groce and believe our AD and Conference could of did a better job defending our case to get an At Large Bid. 

New story today 

Duquesne-Radford game to benefit I Promise School, be played at St. V-M on Saturday

Duquesne University, coached by Keith Dambrot, will play Radford University in a regular-season men’s basketball game at St. Vincent-St. Mary High School’s LeBron James Arena at noon Saturday.

The game’s proceeds will benefit James’ I Promise School, as Duquesne will be making a donation after the game. Admission to the game is free.

Dambrot coached James at St. V-M for two years and headed the University of Akron men’s basketball program for 13 seasons.

https://www.ohio.com/sports/20181115/duquesne-radford-game-to-benefit-i-promise-school-be-played-at-st-v-m-on-saturday