Duquesne coming to Akron

ewbrooman1

1 hour ago, kreed5120 said:

So Duquesne is going to cut a check to an Akron taxpayer funded school? I guess I don't see the problem here. That actually makes me feel better about this situation, not worse.

It's the least Dambrot could do after The Chosen One pulled the wool over the public's eyes on how that school was being funded. I digress. 

I still don't like this. The next time Duquesne is in town, it better be to play Akron. 

• Like 2

The Beacon article this morning was all so cheery and the only reason....THE ONLY REASON this game happened here is that poor ol' Duquesne, hosting the DIII NCAA V-Ball Championships, couldn't find another venue anywhere....ANYWHERE....between Pittsburgh PA and a High School gymnasium in Akron Ohio to play Radford, from outside Roanoke VA.  Hell, there are three colleges/university within walking distance of Duquesne.  Oh!  We can give back the the children...the children of Akron.  I've kept my trap shut about this, because I like Keith, and I like the I  Promise School concept and I like LeBron and I do think he has given a lot to the city, but this whole thing stinks to high hell.  To go to Ohio,com the day after the Zips won a home game at the JAR and on the front page see a picture of a Duquesne Basketballer with some schoolkids just makes me want to throw up the Eggos I just consumed  (picture this in yellow :puke:)

• Like 5

Duquesne over Radford 69-64 and was available on ESPN+.

I know Akron is still home to Dambrot but I agree with others that the game being played here had that uncomfortable, former girlfriend feel to it. Glad that thing is behind us.

Edited by GoZips88

• 1 month later...
1 hour ago, Let'sGoZips94 said:

That 8-3 record looks awfully familiar. 8 wins against average/sub-par schools; 3 losses against "the names". 

Don't miss it. 

The difference is he is now in a conference that gives a Damn compared to the MAC who is content on playing their lackluster position begging for the same check. 

At 8-3 at least they still have a chance to improve and possibly get an At Large Bid compared to the MAC who hasn't had an At Large Bid since 1999 which is exactly why he left. The good ol MAC where you can win 26 games and not even get an NIT Bid. 

So Duquesne at 8-3 is NO COMPARISON to us 

Edited by dre22era
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, dre22era said:

The difference is he is now in a conference that gives a Damn compared to the MAC who is content on playing their lackluster position begging for the same check. 

At 8-3 at least they still have a chance to improve and possibly get an At Large Bid compared to the MAC who hasn't had an At Large Bid since 1999 which is exactly why he left. The good ol MAC where you can win 26 games and not even get an NIT Bid. 

So Duquesne at 8-3 is NO COMPARISON to us 

It's kinda the exact same thing. The A-10 is worse than the MAC this year. And the 8 wins are against no one. Which admittedly, is just like us, this year and every year before.

11 hours ago, dre22era said:

I miss Keith :(

Here's the blurb summing up the KD melt down video from SI Extra Mustard-

The worst time to give an opponent free points is in a tie game with five seconds to play. Just ask Duquesne’s Keith Dambrot, who gave Penn State four free points by picking up two technical fouls in the closing seconds. Those shots, paired with the two the Nittany Lions were already shooting (for the foul Dambrot was so upset about in the first place) put the game out of reach. 

Even worse, Penn State was favored by 5.5 points in the game. Without those four extra shots, the Dukes would have covered. Even worse than that, the over-under was 138 and those four extra points pushed the total to 140. I sincerely hope no one reading this actually bet on a Penn State-Duquesne game on a Wednesday, but I understand why you’re mad if you did. 

11 hours ago, Let'sGoZips94 said:

That 8-3 record looks awfully familiar. 8 wins against average/sub-par schools; 3 losses against "the names". 

Don't miss it. 

Dambrot should have been let go after the Zips lost too Northwestern,in the NIT that team was good enough to advance.Always out coached in the big games & no player development he  had LBJ’s highschool teammates at Akron,and they did nothing.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 1

1 hour ago, monrowe said:

Dambrot should have been let go after the Zips lost too Northwestern,in the NIT that team was good enough to advance.Always out coached in the big games & no player development he  had LBJ’s highschool teammates at Akron,and they did nothing.

Dambrot is responsible for all 5 of our MAC regular season championships and 3 out of our 4 NCAAT appearances and you wanted him fired???

• Like 1

Shall we revisit one of the several Balsy threads?

Fact of the matter is, in his 13 seasons at Akron, Dambrot failed to achieve even half of what Buffalo has achieved these past 2 seasons (official national ranking and a NCAA Tourney win). He even failed to achieve what Groce did at OU in just 4 seasons (3 NCAA tourney wins, including a Sweet Sixteen). Now he's at Duquesne, putting up the same results as he did here - beating up on lesser teams only to lose the big games. 

And to keep this post on topic, his blow up is embarrassing. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, zippy5 said:

I think some people wanted KD gone for the same reasons some people wanted Bowden gone. Coincidentally enough, some people seem to be for one and not the other :lol:

If Terry Bowden had KD's success, there'd be a damn statue of him at Infocision.

Edited by clarkwgriswold
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 1