Game 2- Youngstown State Penguins

clarkwgriswold

Statement game, if there is such a thing against YSU. 29 pt beatdown of an in-state team in year two of a coach with a lot of question marks to Joe Akron. 

Loren is the best guard we've had in a long, long, LONG time. Riak is a difference maker with his athleticism and length. Our guards/forwards are all tall and athletic, and can shoot to boot. I love it. 

3 minutes ago, Let'sGoZips94 said:

Statement game, if there is such a thing against YSU. 29 pt beatdown of an in-state team in year two of a coach with a lot of question marks to Joe Akron. 

Loren is the best guard we've had in a long, long, LONG time. Riak is a difference maker with his athleticism and length. Our guards/forwards are all tall and athletic, and can shoot to boot. I love it. 

Just need to add Toles.  Not sure the St V kid can sub for LCJ long term.  54% from floor and only 31% from 3.  That's a good stat.

3 minutes ago, NWAkron said:

Just need to add Toles.  Not sure the St V kid can sub for LCJ long term.  54% from floor and only 31% from 3.  That's a good stat.

I'm thinking if Toles meets expectations at all, then he will likely move into the shooting guard and wing rotations. That puts Tyler Cheese in the point guard and shooting guard rotations. And Scott Walter will be back on the bench. Walter has his limitations, but it looks like he could fill in a bit here and there when necessary. He looks stable and under control.

8 minutes ago, clarkwgriswold said:

Sounds like they started coming together today.

As for Les Mis, I'd have rather been at the Wolstein Center.

The Zips weren't revolutionary today (see what I did there), but they were flashing some serious potential in the second half. I think they are just scratching the surface.

Edited by Illini Zip
  • Haha 1

44 minutes ago, NWAkron said:

I'm vaguely remembering our "best team ever" laying a big egg against YSU in this event.  None of that today!:bow:

Ugh.  1st game of the year.  I had Top 25 aspirations that year.  Made the trip to Youngstown.  Promptly lost my lunch.  it was after that game that I was steadfastly indifferent about KD moving on.

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, Blue & Gold said:

Ugh.  1st game of the year.  I had Top 25 aspirations that year.  Made the trip to Youngstown.  Promptly lost my lunch.  it was after that game that I was steadfastly indifferent about KD moving on.

That game perfectly summed up KD's tenure. A team with "huge" expectations, playing to the level of it's competition and losing a game they should have won easily.

• Like 1

I went to the game today and was very impressed how we were able to penetrate to the basket and use our athleticism and strength to muscle our way to some good shots around the baskets.  We had quickness, hustled to the ball and shot the ball well after the first 5 minutes of the game.  I thought Youngstown played a great first half and thought it would be a close game but they threw the ball away and started forcing some bad shots.  We were too quick for them.  Every Zip has the ability to penetrate to the basket.  Also, we kept our man in front of us.  THey had some pick and rolls and some offensive put backs but they mainly shot from the perimeter.

Also, Jackson played an amazing game for his second division one game.  He was a step quicker than everyone else on the floor and can beat anyone off the  dribble.  He is not afraid to penetrate and finishes well at the basket.  He fights through the screens and his defense is just fine. I think this guy will be great and looking forward to seeing how he plays against better competition.  Utome and Ivey had great games.  Poke still looks rusty and I think it will take a little time for him to regain his form.

Edited by 1981 grad
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1