MAC Hoops 18-19

zippy5

The sample size is small, but based off of Kenpom the MAC outside of Buffalo looks pretty evenly matched. It should be a fun year to watch MAC hoops.

KenPom Rankings
40 - Buffalo
96 - Toledo
111 - Ball St
129 - Akron
149 - NIU
155 - Miami
159 - Kent St
162 - Ohio
165 - EMU
168 - CMU
185 - BGSU
212 - WMU

• Like 1

4 hours ago, dirtyolcrowe said:

Ohio U beat Marshall 101-84 last night.   Is OU that good or did Marshall p#$p the bed!

OU is hard to figure out.  They beat Marshall handily, but also lost to South Florida 73-46.  They play at Xavier on Wednesday.  That may give us an indiction of how good they are.

Updated NET Rankings. For those not aware, this is suppose to be the uniform metric that the selection committee uses this year. 

13 - Buffalo
77 - Ball St.
98 - Kent St.
107 - Akron
116 - Toledo
119 - Ohio
155 - Northern Ill.
162 - Miami (OH)
172 - Central Mich.
245 - Western Mich.
249 - Bowling Green
251 - Eastern Mich.

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, kreed5120 said:

Updated NET Rankings. For those not aware, this is suppose to be the uniform metric that the selection committee uses this year. 

13 - Buffalo
77 - Ball St.
98 - Kent St.
107 - Akron
116 - Toledo
119 - Ohio
155 - Northern Ill.
162 - Miami (OH)
172 - Central Mich.
245 - Western Mich.
249 - Bowling Green
251 - Eastern Mich.

So based on this and the early results, this system rewards the tough schedules. Ball State is 5-3 with 3 P5 losses and 5 lesser Mid Major victories. Can't is 7-1 with a victory over Vandy and a loss to a lesser Mid Major, yet there's a 21 spot difference in favor of Ball State. 

Based on that, Akron should climb assuming they beat IPFW and Marshall, then lose to Nevada (who by the way was #5 last I checked in the polls), correct?

Edited by Let'sGoZips94

51 minutes ago, Let'sGoZips94 said:

So based on this and the early results, this system rewards the tough schedules. Ball State is 5-3 with 3 P5 losses and 5 lesser Mid Major victories. Can't is 7-1 with a victory over Vandy and a loss to a lesser Mid Major, yet there's a 21 spot difference in favor of Ball State. 

Based on that, Akron should climb assuming they beat IPFW and Marshall, then lose to Nevada (who by the way was #5 last I checked in the polls), correct?

Generally speaking that is true that tougher schedules are rewarded by Kenpom. If we play Nevada and lose, but over-perform that would move us up more. If we get blown out by 50 points, we will drop down. Right now Kenpom predicts a Nevada 81, Akron 63 result based on the current body of work.

https://gamepredict.us/kenpom

Edited by Illini Zip

26 minutes ago, NWAkron said:

Canada's dominance is a bit depressing.  I can see them easily sweeping the MAC.  Very happy we dont get them to February, and we will need to scorch from 3 point land to beat them.  I look for PCCC @ Ravenna (Pinky and the Flashes) to knock them off in one of their fluke games.

No MAC team has ever run the table undefeated in conference play. Buffalo is really good, but so is the MAC as a whole this year. They will likely drop 2-3 games in conference play to someone.

46 minutes ago, kreed5120 said:

No MAC team has ever run the table undefeated in conference play. Buffalo is really good, but so is the MAC as a whole this year. They will likely drop 2-3 games in conference play to someone.

When was the last time a MAC squad beat a 4 seed in the NCAA Tourney, or was ranked #17 in the country? I, too, think they'll lose 1 or 2 in MAC play, but this isn't your typical MAC squad. 

8 minutes ago, Let'sGoZips94 said:

When was the last time a MAC squad beat a 4 seed in the NCAA Tourney, or was ranked #17 in the country? I, too, think they'll lose 1 or 2 in MAC play, but this isn't your typical MAC squad. 

Ugh.   If think Bobcat Attack and John Groce would have a quick answer to your question.  But agree they are going to be taking out BG and WMU by 30+ points without a sweat.   

7 minutes ago, NWAkron said:

Ugh.   If think Bobcat Attack and John Groce would have a quick answer to your question.  But agree they are going to be taking out BG and WMU by 30+ points without a sweat.   

True - forgot about them (at least I tried to). 

Side note: Glad he's our coach. :rock:

• Like 1