MAC Hoops 18-19

zippy5

58 minutes ago, zippy5 said:

That's nice. But it has nothing to do with the 90s-2000s MAC which is what the conversation was about :lol:

Also, what's the average without Buffalo?

I was answering a question that you asked...

KenPom started his rankings in 2002. This just so happened to be the "last great year" for the MAC (PCCC Elite 8). The KenPom MAC average that year was 149.23. This year it's currently at 139.25.

Edited by kreed5120

Was looking at the stats in the MAC website.  Fortunately, it is redesigned!  The Zips rank #1 in defense by a significant margin.  They are also #1 defensive shooting percentage.   The issues are at the offensive end. These stats probably explain why our losses are so close.  We are also #1 (or #12 as they have it) in holding our opponents to the lowest free throw shooting percentage??

Also, The Kittens are a turnover machine!  Surprisingly, Akron is #4 in turnover margin.   Buffalo and Toledo are at top in assist/turnover.

Edited by NWAkron

25 minutes ago, NWAkron said:

Was looking at the stats in the MAC website.  Fortunately, it is redesigned!  The Zips rank #1 in defense by a significant margin.  They are also #1 defensive shooting percentage.   The issues are at the offensive end. These stats probably explain why our losses are so close.  We are also #1 (or #12 as they have it) in holding our opponents to the lowest free throw shooting percentage??

Also, The Kittens are a turnover machine!  Surprisingly, Akron is #4 in turnover margin.   Buffalo and Toledo are at top in assist/turnover.

Overall I've been impressed with the defensive effort all season. We typically play sloppy 1st halves then good 2nd halves. We've really struggled in creating ourselves quality looks when forces into playing a half court offense. Without looking at the numbers I'd guess rebounding would be another area we struggle with.

7 minutes ago, kreed5120 said:

Overall I've been impressed with the defensive effort all season. We typically play sloppy 1st halves then good 2nd halves. We've really struggled in creating ourselves quality looks when forces into playing a half court offense. Without looking at the numbers I'd guess rebounding would be another area we struggle with.

Yes, definitely bottom-feeders in the offensive rebounding although BG is #1 in both offense and defense rebounds. And Zips are last in rebounding margin.

Edited by NWAkron

2 hours ago, NWAkron said:

That didn't last long.   Marquettes Howard scored 45 points!  103-85. 62% from 3.   86% from the line.  64 points in second half.

Not sure they'll drop very far. Anyone who watched the game saw a phenomenal game for 30-35 minutes until Howard became a man possessed. Even the announcers said that Buffalo was doing everything right, but still couldn't stop Howard. 

Buffalo is the real deal. 

6 hours ago, Let'sGoZips94 said:

Not sure they'll drop very far. Anyone who watched the game saw a phenomenal game for 30-35 minutes until Howard became a man possessed. Even the announcers said that Buffalo was doing everything right, but still couldn't stop Howard. 

Buffalo is the real deal. 

Thought the same thing.  Nothing a team can do

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/19/2018 at 11:07 AM, kreed5120 said:

Without Buffalo it's 149.8, which is still better than the MVC and just slightly behind the A10. You remove the top A10 team, which only seems fair, and they fall behind the MAC at a 154.3 average. The MAC strength is in its depth. The MAC is better at both the top and the bottom of the conference compared to those 2 conferences.

I figured since the MAC is starting conference play today I'd revisit this to see how the MAC closed the OOC season. I added 3 additional mid-major conferences to the mix. The MAC improved their KenPom average from 139.25 to 135.50, which is about 30 spots better than the average MWC team. The MVC had a strong finish, but the MAC still leads them by a healthy margin. They also still lead the A10 and C-USA. The AAC by the numbers looks like it should get more at-large bids than the PAC-12. Bravo to the season they're having. The MAC actually looks pretty comparable to the WCC except for the fact we're missing a team as good as Gonzaga. It surprises me they haven't been poached by a larger conference yet.

image.png

I may revisit this before selection Sunday or after postseason play if anyone is at all interested in seeing how things finish.

Edit: After I posted I noticed that I only included 9 MVC teams into the total while still dividing by the 10 total teams they have in the conference. That explains why they looked so much better than they did 2 weeks ago. I've updated the graphic.

Edited by kreed5120
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, NWAkron said:

Two fun games to watch on CBS sports.  Toledo against Ball State (hate the Cardinals.  And Buffalo against EMU.  Will EMU have one of their fluke games and surprise the Bulls?

Not in love with Whitford either but the Cards are no joke. They can hurt you from all 5 spots and are currently making the Rockettes look stupid on their own floor. They are certainly stamping themselves as the team to beat in the west.

Edited by The Hip Zip

42 minutes ago, NWAkron said:

Toledo won't be the MAC second team in the Dance 

But...they could still be the first!  I think if they finish MAC play above .500, Buffalo is automatic.  All Groce's team has to do is win at the right time and place and they can that first team!

• Like 1

13 hours ago, The Hip Zip said:

It's Buffalo then there is everybody else. This is the first time I've  ever felt that the potential is there for a team to achieve an undefeated MAC conference season. As good as they are it's still unlikely but within their grasp if they stay healthy.

Buffalo is certainly the cream of the crop, but they'll have an off night when some team catches them.  Other than Buffalo, I really think Toledo will be good.