MAC Hoops 18-19

zippy5

8 minutes ago, NWAkron said:

After tonight, Zips still have a chance at the 4th seed, although, I think they would benefit by an extra game before heading to Cleveland.  Ohio, WMU are the bottom two and NIU is imploding, so the games against BSU and Miami are huge for the Zips.  Would be nice to get a first round home game against the Broncos.

You should really cut back on drinking during the week. 

• Haha 2

I just looked up the Mid-Major 25 just to see where any MAC schools ranked, especially Buffalo, Toledo, and BG. 

I have to say, though, that the thing that really got my attention on that site was how the Southern Conference with schools like Wofford and ETSU is all over the rankings. There has been discussion before about conferences the MAC could have a co Terence challenge against. Would a MAC-Southern Conference challenge make sense in the future since we no longer have Bracketbusters?

http://www.collegeinsider.com/mens-mid-major-top-25.php

• Like 1

3 hours ago, GJGood said:

I just looked up the Mid-Major 25 just to see where any MAC schools ranked, especially Buffalo, Toledo, and BG. 

I have to say, though, that the thing that really got my attention on that site was how the Southern Conference with schools like Wofford and ETSU is all over the rankings. There has been discussion before about conferences the MAC could have a co Terence challenge against. Would a MAC-Southern Conference challenge make sense in the future since we no longer have Bracketbusters?

http://www.collegeinsider.com/mens-mid-major-top-25.php

SoCon is having a historic year. Even with that they currently rank 12th in average net rankings while the MAC is 8th. The only notable OOC win that conference has was Furman beating Villanova. The top 3-4 teams in the SoCon have propped their numbers up against the other 6 members of the conference who all frankly suck. Currently 4 SoCon teams (10 team conference) have a NET ranking of 240+. For comparison the MAC only has 1 team with a NET of 200+.

• Like 2

So, if the MAC were to try to start one of these conference challenge events. Which conference or conferences would be a good match that also might be willing to do it? I think conferences like the A-10, American, CUSA, MWC, MVC, and WCC all see the MAC as below them even though the numbers don't always quite pan out that way.

I know the Bracketbusters thing is not coming back but I could see some sort of non-league resume boost games being scheduled one weekend in February if there was an agreement between two or three MAC-like conferences. I am thinking of a team like Toledo right now. I don't follow the NET and all of those metrics so much because the schools in always multiple-bid leagues will have a consistent advantage in those but it seems to me if the Rockets could get one more good quality OOC win over a similarly ranked team they should really get into some discussions on selection Sunday.... Even if they would still fall short given the landscape nowadays it could still be seen as a win for the league if a MAC program gets seeded well enough in the NIT that they would get home games. That never seems to happen in recent years either, which still confounds me with respect to some of those better Zips squads.

It's not worth having one unless we get a conference like the A-10 or MVC to agree to it. Like you I don't see that happening. The CAA would be a better long-term option over the SoCon.

The SoCon has been around since before the NCAAT, which has been around for 80 years, and not once has the SoCon had an at-large bid. Its been a historic season for the SoCon compared to how they normally do and still they are ranked as the 12th best conference this year. Most years they're in the 18-23 range.

Edited by kreed5120

The MVC isn't anything to right home about without Wichita and Creighton. A-10 would look at us similarly and say no thanks. I view the MWC as a comparable and even though they are down, they're usually around the MAC at the end of the day. It would allow each conference to play some games in some new territory as well. 

Even without "challenge" with another conference, I'd love to see more games against similarly situated regional teams.  I'd much rather see games against like Marshall and  IUPFW than teams like  UT-Martin, Tennessee State,  Alabama State, etc.  From a fan perspective they are more entertaining.  From a team perspective, I think it prepares the team better for league play.  

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, zippy5 said:

Have to give it to Akron this year. They put up a better fight than I anticipated against Clemson and Nevada. I didn't know they had it in them to go from worst defense in the MAC to best defense in 1 season. Now if only we had an offense :puke:

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, clarkwgriswold said:

I'd also take me some Northern Kentucky, Wright State, Oakland, Canisius, Dayton, Valparaiso, Indiana State, Evansville...

How about the Horizon League, or do we think we're above that?

Well we play Detroit, CSU, and YSU pretty regularly.

My ideal schedule would be a tournament similar to what we had this year with a ranked opponent or two, a money game at WVU, OSU or Pitt.. and home and homes with a selection of teams in similar boats as us:

Illinois State, Western Kentucky, Fort Wayne, MTSU, Marshall, Murray State, Valpo, Oakland, Vermont, Belmont.. There are enough schools that we could find 4 or 5 to put on our schedule each year.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, zippy5 said:

The MVC isn't anything to right home about without Wichita and Creighton. A-10 would look at us similarly and say no thanks. I view the MWC as a comparable and even though they are down, they're usually around the MAC at the end of the day. It would allow each conference to play some games in some new territory as well. 

I agree the MWC would be a decent conference to matchup with. The problem is that if we scheduled the matchups late in the year to maximize a resume boost situation I don't think many coaches would like the idea of going cross country for one game during the home stretch of a conference season. Also,  even though it may not be correct , I think the MWC views themselves as far superior to the MAC and therefore would not see it as advantageous. I'd love it if we could get it to happen though.

4 hours ago, clarkwgriswold said:

I'd also take me some Northern Kentucky, Wright State, Oakland, Canisius, Dayton, Valparaiso, Indiana State, Evansville...

How about the Horizon League, or do we think we're above that?

I think the Horizon league would win most of the games against the MAC assuming that the MAC teams were only allowed to play 4 players at a time..  As currently comprised, in the D1 basketball galaxy, the Horizon League is a Black  Hole - they suck Big Time.

1 hour ago, Zipmeister said:

I think the Horizon league would win most of the games against the MAC assuming that the MAC teams were only allowed to play 4 players at a time..  As currently comprised, in the D1 basketball galaxy, the Horizon League is a Black  Hole - they suck Big Time.

I will agree that their bottom is ugly (cue the pep band with "Fat Bottomed Girls"), but teams like Northern Kentucky, Wright State, Oakland and UWGB would be regularly competitive in the MAC.

13 hours ago, clarkwgriswold said:

I will agree that their bottom is ugly (cue the pep band with "Fat Bottomed Girls"), but teams like Northern Kentucky, Wright State, Oakland and UWGB would be regularly competitive in the MAC.

Just the bottom??????

I'm guessing you haven't kept up with the Horizon league recently. 

The following link will allow you to compare the 9th NET-ranked MAC with the 19th NET-ranked HL (or any other comparisons you wish).

All kinds of interesting stuff can be found there.

For example - a whooping TWO teams in the HL currently sport a winning record, and the worst NET-ranked MAC team would have the third best NET-ranking if they were in the HL.

http://warrennolan.com/basketball/2019/conferencenet