MAC Hoops 18-19

zippy5

On 2/27/2019 at 11:18 PM, JimmieJ48 said:

I found this link conference tournament bracket generator. Thought I'd share it in case anyone wanted to play around with it. 

http://bball.notnothing.net/mac.php?sport=mbb

I just went through all the permutations for the last week that matter for the Zips seeding and I couldn't find any scenarios where they finish higher than fifth nor lower than eighth. So it looks like a guarantee of a first round at home but you don't want that 8th seed to run into Buffalo in the quarters. 

• Thanks 1

18 minutes ago, NWAkron said:

Phew!  But odd way to decide something

Yeah, with an unbalanced schedule the 1st tie-breaker should be conference SOS. Akron played a much tougher MAC schedule than NIU did so Akron at 8-10 who had to play UB, BG, CMU, and Kent 2x should be viewed better NIU playing WMU 2x.

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, MDZip said:

I just went through all the permutations for the last week that matter for the Zips seeding and I couldn't find any scenarios where they finish higher than fifth nor lower than eighth. So it looks like a guarantee of a first round at home but you don't want that 8th seed to run into Buffalo in the quarters. 

Don't want the 8th or the 5th!!  6 or 7 are ideal.  I ran all the possibilities as well and if Akron wins and Ball State and Ohio win there's  7 seed.  And if one is going to face Buffalo the best chance would be in the Quarters.

Edited by NWAkron

2 minutes ago, kreed5120 said:

My ideal scenario would be Akron beat Kent, Toledo loses, and BG wins. This would mean Akron would play BG in the quarterfinals instead of Toledo. I feel we match up better against BG than Toledo. Even in our loss @BG, I thought we were the better team.

Right.  Toledo has been cryptonite for Zips

Zips are now locked into 6, 7 or 8. If they lose the only way to avoid the 8 and to reach the 7 is if Miami and NIU both lose. If the Zips win the only way to get the 6 seed is EMU or CMU loses (or both), everything else is irrelevant otherwise it's the 7 seed. So now you know who you need to root for (or against) depending on what seed you prefer. And BTW after losing to the Zips BGSU can only be seeded second if they beat Buffalo and Toledo loses to Eastern otherwise they will be the three seed.  Bonus - if the Zips beat Kent and CMU beats WMU at home (likely) then the Flushes fall to the 5 seed.

Edited by MDZip

49 minutes ago, MDZip said:

Zips are now locked into 6, 7 or 8. If they lose the only way to avoid the 8 and to reach the 7 is if Miami and NIU both lose. If the Zips win the only way to get the 6 seed is EMU or CMU loses (or both), everything else is irrelevant otherwise it's the 7 seed. So now you know who you need to root for (or against) depending on what seed you prefer. And BTW after losing to the Zips BGSU can only be seeded second if they beat Buffalo and Toledo loses to Eastern otherwise they will be the three seed.  Bonus - if the Zips beat Kent and CMU beats WMU at home (likely) then the Flushes fall to the 5 seed.

What's nice is that all the games that matter to us start 30 minutes after us.

1 hour ago, MDZip said:

I'm thinking Ohio beats Miami and Ball State is at home FWIW but NIU has German back.    

I pulled the below off the Zips facebook page. The women's team needs to win 1 of its last 2 to clinch a 1st round home game or needs EMU to lose one of its last 2. It seems highly likely we'll have a double header. I haven't made it out to a women's game this season, but I'll try to get there before half-time to my support if they do indeed clinch. I encourage others to do the same.

If Akron hosts a women’s first round game, the women will play at 5 PM and the men will tipoff at 8 PM. We will treat this like a true doubleheader, and your men’s ticket will also gain you admission to the women’s game.

If Akron does not host a women’s first round game, the men will tipoff at 7 PM.

Edited by kreed5120
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, kreed5120 said:

I pulled the below off the Zips facebook page. The women's team needs to win 1 of its last 2 to clinch a 1st round home game or needs EMU to lose one of its last 2. It seems highly likely we'll have a double header. I haven't made it out to a women's game this season, but I'll try to get there before half-time to my support if they do indeed clinch. I encourage others to do the same.

There is a women's basketball Goddess!  Zips lose in OT but EMU loses in double OT which gives us a double header.

On 2/28/2019 at 2:52 PM, Let'sGoZips94 said:

It's all over 92.3 The Fan, and I think I've seen/heard it marketed elsewhere. 

I called The Q and they said they were not doing the Ohio Lottery promotion this year. The Ohio Lottery office said the same. I had also called and emailed the MAC first, but have not heard back. They were unsure. Please let me now if anyone has definite confirming information (i.e. Tweet, press release, etc.) to the contrary. I was really hoping to take advantage of the promotion this year. (Maybe 92.3 is running an old commercial?)

Edited by ewbrooman1
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, ewbrooman1 said:

I called The Q and they said they were not doing the Ohio Lottery promotion this year. The Ohio Lottery office said the same. I had also called and emailed the MAC first, but have not heard back. They were unsure. Please let me now if anyone has definite confirming information (i.e. Tweet, press release, etc.) to the contrary. I was really hoping to take advantage of the promotion this year. (Maybe 92.3 is running an old commercial?)

I was referring to the advertisement of the tourney as a whole, not that specific promotion. My apologies for not being clear. 

It would be a bummer if they aren't doing that promo. It was a win/win playing the lottery. Haha. 

Hosting Miami to see who will have the honor of being Buffalo's 1st victim. I'm so fed up with this season that I'm strongly just considering watching that game on TV.

There are no excuses next season. Akron returns a senior heavy roster in what should be a down year for the MAC. If Groce puts up another 8-10 year, I'm done.

Edited by kreed5120
  • Like 1

33 minutes ago, kreed5120 said:

Hosting Miami to see who will have the honor of being Buffalo's 1st victim. I'm so fed up with this season that I'm strongly just considering watching that game on TV.

There are no excuses next season. Akron returns a senior heavy roster in what should be a down year for the MAC. If Groce puts up another 8-10 year, I'm done.

Fair enough.  Seems like a reasonable and common position.

I'll make it Monday night if possible of for no other reason than I'll suck every last cent out of my season ticket.

After the misery of the OU game less than a week ago, I'll take Miami thanks.

1 minute ago, clarkwgriswold said:

Fair enough.  Seems like a reasonable and common position.

I'll make it Monday night if possible of for no other reason than I'll suck every last cent out of my season ticket.

After the misery of the OU game less than a week ago, I'll take Miami thanks.

Look.  And this isn't rationalizing, if a team is going to beat Buffalo it's in the Quarters.  After that, there's no chance.  

• Like 1

11 hours ago, NWAkron said:

Look.  And this isn't rationalizing, if a team is going to beat Buffalo it's in the Quarters.  After that, there's no chance.  

Nobody is beating Buffalo.

The Zips aren't beating any of the top 4 teams away from the JAR.  

In my final analysis of the Zips having concluded the regular season, they are what there record says they are (cue the Dennis Green rant).  In the simplest of terms, there's a reason they were 16-15.  They are a middle of the road average MAC team.  I don't expect any more of a run from them than I expect of CMU or NIU.  

• Sad 1