MAC Hoops 18-19

zippy5

The All-MAC Teams were announced.  Utomi, honorable mention, was the only Zip to make it.  I heard Groce's comment pre-game about being the top defense in the conference, but no Zips made the all defensive team.

https://getsomemaction.com/news/2019/3/11/mens-basketball-mac-announces-mens-all-mac-all-freshman-all-defensive-teams.aspx

16 minutes ago, zipsrule said:

The All-MAC Teams were announced.  Utomi, honorable mention, was the only Zip to make it.  I heard Groce's comment pre-game about being the top defense in the conference, but no Zips made the all defensive team.

https://getsomemaction.com/news/2019/3/11/mens-basketball-mac-announces-mens-all-mac-all-freshman-all-defensive-teams.aspx

Voters look at the counting stats blocks, steals, & rebounds. If they actually looked at the point totals Ivey holds opposing leading scorers at, he'd easily be 1st team All-MAC.

25 minutes ago, MDZip said:

15th straight year that the Zips have won at least one tournament game. Pretty impressive streak. In contrast prior to that I think they won one tournament game period since joining the MAC. 

Groce and Company got the Zips to the Q with a bad team and an average team (although French was citing some rankings last night that say the Zips are above average).  

That's an excellent building block for next year and beyond.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, NWAkron said:

Groce and Company got the Zips to the Q with a bad team and an average team (although French was citing some rankings last night that say the Zips are above average).  

That's an excellent building block for next year and beyond.

Akron's 98th in KenPom (3rd in MAC) and 109 (3rd in MAC) in NET rankings. The reason these rankings like us so much is because most of our losses are by small margins and could have easily been wins had a few bounces gone are way. I subscribe to the mantra that you are what your record says you are, but I do think this shows we aren't that far off from being a really good team. 

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, 1981 grad said:

Who the hell would want to be a college b ball coach.  You get bounced around like an old tennis ball.  I think KD had the right idea of staying in one location.  But even that can be problematic when a new athletic director wants to spread his wings.

There's so much luck involved, and it has to be incredibly tough on the families...never knowing when you could be uprooted.  Makes me think that Oats is going to stay put.

1 hour ago, 1981 grad said:

Who the hell would want to be a college b ball coach.  You get bounced around like an old tennis ball.  I think KD had the right idea of staying in one location.  But even that can be problematic when a new athletic director wants to spread his wings.

I'd gladly be a college basketball coach. Saul Phillips made something in the neighborhood of $2.5 million for his 5 years of work at OU. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, 1981 grad said:

Dambrot got $600,000 to coach the Zips? That goes a long way in Summit County. He then parlayed that into a $1,000,000 gig at Duquesne. Not too shabby.

Groce is getting around a million dollars to not coach Illinois? 

Bobby Hurley parlayed his short time in Buffalo into a $2.1 million/year gig at ASU (plus bonuses).

Steve Hawkins pulls in a cool half million per year to be mediocre. 

Saul Phillips got $550,000/yr to stink at OU.

Being a college head coach isn't an easy gig, but try getting anything close to that coin in the real world. 

39 minutes ago, Captain Kangaroo said:

Dambrot got $600,000 to coach the Zips? That goes a long way in Summit County. He then parlayed that into a $1,000,000 gig at Duquesne. Not too shabby.

Groce is getting around a million dollars to not coach Illinois? 

Bobby Hurley parlayed his short time in Buffalo into a $2.1 million/year gig at ASU (plus bonuses).

Steve Hawkins pulls in a cool half million per year to be mediocre. 

Saul Phillips got $550,000/yr to stink at OU.

Being a college head coach isn't an easy gig, but try getting anything close to that coin in the real world. 

Bobby Hurley parlayed his short time in Buffalo into a $2.1 million/year gig at ASU (plus bonuses).  And Hurley really looks like a happy guy with all that money.

13 minutes ago, 1981 grad said:

Bobby Hurley parlayed his short time in Buffalo into a $2.1 million/year gig at ASU (plus bonuses).  And Hurley really looks like a happy guy with all that money.

If you're trying to insinuate he's unhappy because of his job, then he should quit. He has already earned enough money to not have to work another day in his life.

3 hours ago, 1981 grad said:

If someone wants to throw nearly 3 million at me to coach a kids game, they can bounce me anywhere they want.

• Like 1