MAC Hoops 18-19

zippy5

8 minutes ago, NWAkron said:

I wonder how many MAC coaches actually succeeded after getting the golden ticket.  I know there's a trail of failures including PCCC alums Heath and Waters

...Christian, Ford. Most of these guys keep going to schools that have no real history of sustained success. Kudos to Bruce Pearl (so far) at Auburn. Oats has his work cut out for him at Alabama.

Edited by ewbrooman1

9 minutes ago, ewbrooman1 said:

...Christian, Ford. Most of these guys keep going to schools that have no real history of sustained success. Kudos to Bruce Pearl (so far) at Auburn. Oats has his work cut out for him at Alabama.

Pearl I don't think was in the MAC.  Christian...not much success.  Ford failed at Bradley.

2 hours ago, NWAkron said:

Pearl I don't think was in the MAC.  Christian...not much success.  Ford failed at Bradley.

Pearl wasn't in the MAC. I was just using him as a current example of a coach in the SEC who took over a program that has had little sustained basketball success and has them in the Sweet 16 this year. Oats faces a similar challenge at Alabama.

• Thanks 1

Its not like the Alabama job is going to come with lofty expections. I believe 7 SEC teams made the tournament this year. As long as he can make the tournament most years and sprinkles in some tourney wins every now and then, he should be fine. Its not like he's taking over Boston College and has to compete with a bunch of basketball blue bloods. The SEC has some good programs, but the only powerhouse is really Kentucky.

7 hours ago, kreed5120 said:

Its not like the Alabama job is going to come with lofty expections. I believe 7 SEC teams made the tournament this year. As long as he can make the tournament most years and sprinkles in some tourney wins every now and then, he should be fine. Its not like he's taking over Boston College and has to compete with a bunch of basketball blue bloods. The SEC has some good programs, but the only powerhouse is really Kentucky.

They've made the tournament twice since 2006, that's not as easy as you make it sound

• Like 1

10 hours ago, NWAkron said:

I wonder how many MAC coaches actually succeeded after getting the golden ticket.  I know there's a trail of failures including PCCC alums Heath and Waters

I know the Zips weren't in the MAC for his success here but Huggins did OK for himself after moving on from Akron.

26 minutes ago, zippy5 said:

They've made the tournament twice since 2006, that's not as easy as you make it sound

Hence why the coach was fired and why expectations are low. Bama also made the tournament every year between 2002-2006 so its not like they haven't shown the ability to conistently make the tournament. I don't know if Oats will succeed or not. Plenty of guys have tried to make the jump and failed. Look no further than our head coach. I just view it far from being a dead end job. The right coach could quickly have them as a top 5 SEC team.

That's the beauty of the MAC- a long term as a head coach can only be sustained by consistent mediocrity.  See Steve Hawkins.  If you're awful, you get moved on.  If you're successful, you move on.  If you tread water, you hang on and on and on...    The grand prize for mediocrity is being the all-time winningest coach in your school's history- i.e. Rob Senderoff.

KD was the exception to all of these rules based in large part on his Mount Pleasant melt down.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, clarkwgriswold said:

That's the beauty of the MAC- a long term as a head coach can only be sustained by consistent mediocrity.  See Steve Hawkins.  If you're awful, you get moved on.  If you're successful, you move on.  If you tread water, you hang on and on and on...    The grand prize for mediocrity is being the all-time winningest coach in your school's history- i.e. Rob Senderoff.

KD was the exception to all of these rules based in large part on his Mount Pleasant melt down.

When you're consistently losing coaches to P5 schools it means you're doing something right. NIU has had 3 coaches hired away in football in the past 10 years and I'd say over that same time period they've been the best football program in the MAC. Next man up.

1 hour ago, clarkwgriswold said:

Bingo!!