MAC Hoops 18-19

zippy5

6 minutes ago, Let'sGoZips94 said:

True - forgot about them (at least I tried to). 

Side note: Glad he's our coach. :rock:

Yes.  Looking back I remember when Buffalo fired Witherspoon and everyone thought why?  He's doing an ok job for a Mac coach.  But their AD laid it down that Buffalo wanted more and were ready to take the bold move.  And now they are shining in football and men's and women's BB.  Akron has hung on to a few coaches a year or two too long.  Warning signs were there but then an occasional big win or a Mac division championship would come along and all was forgiven.   Now women's BB is in a hole and Men's BB is going to take a few years to even dream of being at BUs level.  Football might make the fastest turnaround.  Anyway...late night pondering.

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, Let'sGoZips94 said:

When was the last time a MAC squad beat a 4 seed in the NCAA Tourney, or was ranked #17 in the country? I, too, think they'll lose 1 or 2 in MAC play, but this isn't your typical MAC squad. 

They certainly look like the best MAC squad of the last 15 years. You have to remember PCCC went to the Elite 8 in 02 and Miami was good enough in 99 to both get an at-large bid and make it to the Sweet 16. It's not like the MAC hasn't had some great teams in the past.

Edited by kreed5120

9 hours ago, NWAkron said:

Canada's dominance is a bit depressing.  I can see them easily sweeping the MAC.  Very happy we dont get them to February, and we will need to scorch from 3 point land to beat them.  I look for PCCC @ Ravenna (Pinky and the Flashes) to knock them off in one of their fluke games.

I thought the same thing, but February is going to be one tough month.

8 hours ago, NWAkron said:

Yes.  Looking back I remember when Buffalo fired Witherspoon and everyone thought why?  He's doing an ok job for a Mac coach.  But their AD laid it down that Buffalo wanted more and were ready to take the bold move.  And now they are shining in football and men's and women's BB.  Akron has hung on to a few coaches a year or two too long.  Warning signs were there but then an occasional big win or a Mac division championship would come along and all was forgiven.   Now women's BB is in a hole and Men's BB is going to take a few years to even dream of being at BUs level.  Football might make the fastest turnaround.  Anyway...late night pondering.

I'm thinking next years roster has the potential to really close that gap on Buffalo. Eventually, our bigs will get their act together and this will feel like a completely different team.

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

Good for Buffalo. I hope they’re undefeated when we play them ?. Beating Syracuse and WVU on the road will go a long way towards the MAC getting two bids this year if they end up losing the MAC-C. Still have St. Bona and Marquette though. Winning 1 of those 2 and then losing no more than two games in conference play should do the job, IMO.

2 hours ago, NWAkron said:

They will sweep the MAC.   Only hope for any MAC team is to get on the other side of the bracket and hope something crazy happens.   

No team has ever swept MAC and its not like the MAC didn't have some great teams in the 90s-early 00s. The MAC, even outside of Buffalo, looks really strong this year. I expect UB to drop 1-2 games. Hopefully they are to us :rolleyes:

Edited by kreed5120
  • Like 1

31 minutes ago, LZIp said:

Good for Buffalo. I hope they’re undefeated when we play them ?. Beating Syracuse and WVU on the road will go a long way towards the MAC getting two bids this year if they end up losing the MAC-C. Still have St. Bona and Marquette though. Winning 1 of those 2 and then losing no more than two games in conference play should do the job, IMO.

They already beat St. Bona by 18. 

The real question is how are their fans coping with their home schedule being St. Francis (PA), Dartmouth, Marist, Le Moyne, and Southern Illinois? ;)

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Let'sGoZips94 said:

The real question is how are their fans coping with their home schedule being St. Francis (PA), Dartmouth, Marist, Le Moyne, and Southern Illinois? ;)

My mistake! Thats what I get for not looking it up.

43 minutes ago, Let'sGoZips94 said:

Buffalo has two games against EMU and a game with Toledo early in their MAC schedule.  Would be cool if they roll along and then run into the buzzsaw that is MAC basketball.   

50 minutes ago, kreed5120 said:

No team has ever swept MAC and its not like the MAC didn't have some great teams in the 90s-early 00s. The MAC even outside of Buffalo looks really strong this year. I expect UB to drop 1-2 games. Hopefully they are to us :rolleyes:

The 90s - early 2000s MAC was a tad bit harder to sweep

• Like 1

1 hour ago, zippy5 said:

I feel as though you're underrating the MAC this year. Below is a list of conferences and their average KenPom rating.

PAC 12 - 89.75

MAC - 139.25

A10 - 148.57

MVC - 158.2

CUSA - 184.5

The MAC is so far having a better year than both the MVC and A10. When's the last time that happened? I'm guessing never in the last 40 years.

7 minutes ago, kreed5120 said:

I feel as though you're underrating the MAC this year. Below is a list of conferences and their average KenPom rating.

PAC 12 - 89.75

MAC - 139.25

A10 - 148.57

MVC - 158.2

CUSA - 184.5

The MAC is so far having a better year than both the MVC and A10. When's the last time that happened? I'm guessing never in the last 40 years.

Better than both? I don't know, but I'm pretty sure the MAC finished ahead of the A10 last year, although I don't recall if that was KenPom or not. 

8 minutes ago, kreed5120 said:

PAC 12 - 89.75

MAC - 139.25

A10 - 148.57

MVC - 158.2

CUSA - 184.5

The MVC and A-10 having down years has nothing to do with the MAC. The MVC also lost their best 3 or 4 teams over the past 5 or so years. Also, what's the average without Buffalo?

1 hour ago, zippy5 said:

9 minutes ago, kreed5120 said:

PAC 12 - 89.75

MAC - 139.25

A10 - 148.57

MVC - 158.2

CUSA - 184.5

IDK.  I'm looking at the other teams schedule and records and after Buffalo only PCCC and Toledo and maybe the Kittens have decent records and wins.   Otherwise I'm not seeing it.   This could be a very easy sweep for Buffalo.  PCCC and Toledo might get them to single digits.  The rest are looking at 20+ point losses.  Akron will need to be hot from 3 and figure out something in the paint to keep it respectable especially if UB takes out Marquette with ease 

Edited by NWAkron

2 minutes ago, zippy5 said:

The MVC and A-10 having down years has nothing to do with the MAC. The MVC also lost their best 3 or 4 teams over the past 5 or so years. Also, what's the average without Buffalo?

Without Buffalo it's 149.8, which is still better than the MVC and just slightly behind the A10. You remove the top A10 team, which only seems fair, and they fall behind the MAC at a 154.3 average. The MAC strength is in its depth. The MAC is better at both the top and the bottom of the conference compared to those 2 conferences.

image.png

16 minutes ago, kreed5120 said:

Without Buffalo it's 149.8, which is still better than the MVC and just slightly behind the A10. You remove the top A10 team, which only seems fair, and they fall behind the MAC at a 154.3 average. The MAC strength is in its depth. The MAC is better at both the top and the bottom of the conference compared to those 2 conferences.

image.png

Good stuff.  Thanks!

However... as I look a little more closely at that MAC vs. A-10 chart^^, the MAC's 1&2 teams are ranked higher than the A-10's 1&2 teams.  But then the A-10's 3-11 teams are all ranked higher than the MAC's 3-11 teams, respectively.  It's those three clunkers at the bottom of the A-10 which really skew that conference's average.

Edited by Blue & Gold

23 minutes ago, kreed5120 said:

image.png

That's nice. But it has nothing to do with the 90s-2000s MAC which is what the conversation was about :lol: