MAC Hoops 18-19

zippy5

5 minutes ago, zippyfan34 said:

Anyone see the end of the Kent/Buffalo half?  I think the refs messed up.  

Buffalo drove  the length of the court and their player got fouled going up for the layup with 0.2 on clock but didn’t release until after 0.0 on clock and he made it.  To me he should have been awardeddd the basket and a free throw as the clock stops with the foul and he was in the shooting motion.  The refs put 0.2 on the clock and called it a one and one instead and the Buffalo player missed it.

I think it was the right call.  But the idiot then missed both free throws.

4 out of the 5 MAC teams currently with a winning conference record are in the MAC East. No MAC East team is worse than 3-4 in conference play. 9 out of our last 11 are against the MAC East and another against Toledo. The home stretch is going to be tough, but we should see a lot of quality match ups.

• Like 1

Below are the current NET rankings for all MAC teams. They don't factor in last nights games as the new numbers haven't been posted today yet, but not much should change.

18 Buffalo

61 Toledo

102 Ball St.

116 Northern Ill.

134 Bowling Green

138 Kent St.

139 Central Mich.

140 Akron

147 Miami (OH)

167 Eastern Mich.

170 Ohio

269 Western Mich.

6 minutes ago, kreed5120 said:

Below are the current NET rankings for all MAC teams. They don't factor in last nights games as the new numbers haven't been posted today yet, but not much should change.

18 Buffalo

61 Toledo

102 Ball St.

116 Northern Ill.

134 Bowling Green

138 Kent St.

139 Central Mich.

140 Akron

147 Miami (OH)

167 Eastern Mich.

170 Ohio

269 Western Mich.

Ball State seems a tad high in the list.  Would be a huge help if PCCC@Ravenna freezes up in Kalamazoo and Muncie tonight and Saturday.

11 minutes ago, NWAkron said:

Ball State seems a tad high in the list.  Would be a huge help if PCCC@Ravenna freezes up in Kalamazoo and Muncie tonight and Saturday.

They moved up to ~60 after their dismantling of Toledo to start MAC play. They've been sliding down the rankings ever since. If they keep playing the way they have, it won't be long until they join the rest of the pack in the ~140 range.

On 1/4/2019 at 3:07 PM, kreed5120 said:

I figured since the MAC is starting conference play today I'd revisit this to see how the MAC closed the OOC season. I added 3 additional mid-major conferences to the mix. The MAC improved their KenPom average from 139.25 to 135.50, which is about 30 spots better than the average MWC team. The MVC had a strong finish, but the MAC still leads them by a healthy margin. They also still lead the A10 and C-USA. The AAC by the numbers looks like it should get more at-large bids than the PAC-12. Bravo to the season they're having. The MAC actually looks pretty comparable to the WCC except for the fact we're missing a team as good as Gonzaga. It surprises me they haven't been poached by a larger conference yet.

image.png

I may revisit this before selection Sunday or after postseason play if anyone is at all interested in seeing how things finish.

Edit: After I posted I noticed that I only included 9 MVC teams into the total while still dividing by the 10 total teams they have in the conference. That explains why they looked so much better than they did 2 weeks ago. I've updated the graphic.

I said I'd revisit it next at the end of the season, however, I stumbled upon the below on reddit so figured I'd share. The first set of rankings was the one I was previously calculating in my previous post. The MAC average position on teams has actually improved considerably compared to what it previously was and has actually past the WCC and has narrowed the gap with the AAC and P12.

The 2nd set of rankings is the kenpom adjem added together for all teams then divided by the number of teams in the conference. This metric places WCC ahead of the MAC because Gonzaga's adjem is 31.39. Buffalo's & Toledo's combined (MAC's 2 highest teams) is 31.63.The other 2 rank offense and defense stats of the conference. The MAC ranks 8th in offense and 10th in defense. Once again Gonzaga 126.6 (ranked #1 in country) boosts the WCC average.

image.png

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Illini Zip said:

I think this is great news. If the MAC can hover around the top quarter of the conferences it should lead to better recruiting for the whole league. Granted Buffalo will come down to earth next year, but hopefully this is a sign of good times ahead for the MAC. Where has the MAC usually ranked in the past?

Historically its been in the 10-15 range. The MAC returned something like 12 out of its 15 All-MAC players so this year was expected to be a very good year for the MAC. Now MAC rosters are loaded with graduating seniors so next year we should see some drop off. Also, I'd be very shocked to see Oats returning to Buffalo so who knows what kind of fall out that will create for them. If they were smart, they should take a page out of PCCC playbook and promote from within to prevent a mass exodus of transfers and keep the momentum of the program.

• Like 1

Looking at it laid out graphically it appears the biggest difference between the MAC and the other conferences is not with the teams at the top or middle (although the MWC and WCC do have an elite team each) but with the fact that the MAC only has one team I would say is quite poor ranking-wise. Most of he other conferences, excluding the P12, all seem to be weighed down by multiple bottom feeders or a really woeful team. What in the world in going on with the bottom portion of the MWC?

20 minutes ago, kreed5120 said:

Historically its been in the 10-15 range. The MAC returned something like 12 out of its 15 All-MAC players so this year was expected to be a very good year for the MAC. Now MAC rosters are loaded with graduating seniors so next year we should see some drop off. Also, I'd be very shocked to see Oats returning to Buffalo so who knows what kind of fall out that will create for them. If they were smart, they should take a page out of PCCC playbook and promote from within to prevent a mass exodus of transfers and keep the momentum of the program.

They are smart - which is why they promoted Oats from within after Hurley left. 

However, if another internal promotion gives us 2 Mr. Pinky's in the league, I'm all for it. Path of least resistance for Akron!

• Like 1

After creeping into enemy territory (AKA Can't States forum), I discovered this little bit of scheduling information. 

"Looks like the game has been postponed to Thursday, February 14 at 5pm.

Kent will travel to Western for that game, back home to play EMU on Saturday the 16th, and then travel to CMU for a game Tuesday the 19th."

I like when things get harder for PCCC and Pinky. 

1 hour ago, Let'sGoZips94 said:

After creeping into enemy territory (AKA Can't States forum), I discovered this little bit of scheduling information. 

"Looks like the game has been postponed to Thursday, February 14 at 5pm.

Kent will travel to Western for that game, back home to play EMU on Saturday the 16th, and then travel to CMU for a game Tuesday the 19th."

I like when things get harder for PCCC and Pinky. 

Right.  But playing tonight and then going to Muncie on Saturday would also be a rough trek

I don't think it's that terrible for them. The team that's getting screwed is WMU as now they have 4 games in 8 days. Kent plays Akron Friday then plays WMU that following Thursdays. WMU during Kent's 5 off days plays both at Ball State and at home against NIU. It will be the most winnable road game Kent plays all year.

• Sad 1

46 minutes ago, LZIp said:

Really wish Buffalo would've been ranked when they came to the JAR. Not sure if they deserve it/I see it happening with 2 MAC losses.

I wanted BG.  Awesome smack down for the Bulls.   Keep in mind Huger is in his 4th year.  It takes time to get a program back on top. This is first win against Buffalo, and he lost 3 guys after last season.

Edited by NWAkron

2 minutes ago, Let'sGoZips94 said:

BGSU wins. 

This is a testament to multiple things. 

1) Defense can negate and athleticism difference

2) Buffalo isn't invincible

3) Losing a few transfers isn't a bad thing - BGSU lost 3 players I think, now look at them

Defense...game was in upper 80s