Game 3- Chicago State Cougars

clarkwgriswold

The Cougars of Chicago State come into the JAR Friday night.  They lave lost their first three games against Indiana (104-55), Notre  Dame (89-62) and Central Michigan (101-60).  Anthony Harris, a 6-5 senior guard, leads the team at 14 ppg.

An article previewing the Indiana game included the following gems:

Indiana will open their season against an opponent that went without a head coach for nearly FIVE MONTHS. Safe to say things are as low as a program can go as Chicago State has only won 13 games over the past three years.

Things don’t look up for this team as KenPom has them placed near the bottom of all of Division I men’s basketball at 344th place out of 353 total teams with their only projected wins at the moment coming against Non-Division I schools.

19 hours ago, NWAkron said:

The Zips start their trip to Grand Cayman at 10am on Saturday.  I hope they don't look past the Cougars.

Initially I had thought NWAkron was being his funny, sarcastic self. But since I'm not certain I will expand my thoughts. Clark has pointed out here that Chicago State is about the worst team in Division 1 basketball. We should be able to get everyone playing time again without too much concern. I am looking at these first few games like practice games that count. Especially with Cedarville being a Division II team. And why not start out slow with a team full of new players. It's not like we have to worry about strength of schedule this year. That being said, NWAkron is absolutely right that this is the perfect trap-game scenario. A game the night before the morning flight to the Cayman Islands Classic. I just don't think Chicago State has what it takes to upset this Zips team, even on a good day. Lord help me if I am wrong.

Edited by Illini Zip

It will be interesting to see if there is a ring of cheerleaders surrounding the upper deck of the JAR, blocking everyone's view the entire game as they did for Cedarville. 

For those of you who weren't there...or who sat below...the cheerleaders...sans the final 4 minutes of the first half...stood on the track the entire time

I sat with a friend in the bleachers for the second half. Much better view than my upper-reserved seating.

JAR.JPG

2 hours ago, Illini Zip said:

Thanks Let'sGoZips94 for pointing that out. I see it now on the website, but I don't understand it. The brackets are already determined. Thoughts?

The holiday tournament exemption allows for 4 additional games. The tournament itself is only 3 games. The Zips claiming this as part of the Cayman Islands tournament pretty much enables the Zips to have an extra home game. It's honestly fairly common for teams to do this and if you look you'll probably see all 8 participating teams have a campus game. 

Edited by kreed5120
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Captain Kangaroo said:

It will be interesting to see if there is a ring of cheerleaders surrounding the upper deck of the JAR, blocking everyone's view the entire game as they did for Cedarville. 

For those of you who weren't there...or who sat below...the cheerleaders...sans the final 4 minutes of the first half...stood on the track the entire time

I sat with a friend in the bleachers for the second half. Much better view than my upper-reserved seating.

JAR.JPG

Why is it always something :/

5 hours ago, Captain Kangaroo said:

JAR.JPG

Good call.  I noticed that too.  Just poor planning by someone.

11 hours ago, zvillezip said:

75-71 Illinois State wins. Chicago State looks to be improved but couldn’t handle press when they had a chance to win.  

Hopefully Groce picked up on that and we see that out of the gate. Better to jump on a team early than let them hang around.

Edited by kreed5120
  • Like 1

10 hours ago, kreed5120 said:

Hopefully Groce picked up on that and we see that out of the gate. Better to jump on a team early than let them hang around.

I actually checked out the game on ESPN3 last night. Illinois State did play their whole roster from start to finish and one of their starters didn't play the first half for some reason. The final score is more of an indictment of Illinois State's defense than anything. The game looked like something you would find at a college rec. center. If the Zips show up with the right attitude they will be fine playing their entire roster as well.

Edited by Illini Zip

8 hours ago, clarkwgriswold said:

I haven't been this excited for a Zips game since the last time Coppin State came to town.

I was actually checking the scores for tonight to see it it would be on ESPN3 (it is by the way; my wife may have scheduled a dinner with friends during the game, but if I was able to stream the Indians game during our wedding reception, you bet I'm streaming the Zips during a random dinner), saw Copping State's name, and because I'm so used to them being on the schedule, thought that's who we played for a second. Scarred for life.

33 minutes ago, Let'sGoZips94 said:

I was actually checking the scores for tonight to see it it would be on ESPN3 (it is by the way; my wife may have scheduled a dinner with friends during the game, but if I was able to stream the Indians game during our wedding reception, you bet I'm streaming the Zips during a random dinner), saw Copping State's name, and because I'm so used to them being on the schedule, thought that's who we played for a second. Scarred for life.

It sounds like you found a good one. Not every guy would have been able to pull that off on their wedding day. Stream on.