NCAA Tournament

zips are heading to Syracuse

good night for the MAC...West Virginia won 4-2

Several high ranked RPI teams struggling in first round

#16 Charlotte is in penalty kick shootout tonight....they advanced play at Va tech next

#18 New Hamphsire lost to Colgate...Colgate plays Wake Forest next

Other games

Portland 1 UCLA 0

Michigan State 2  UIC 0

NC State 4  Campbell 1

James Madison 3 High Point 0

Furman got past UNCW on PK's

Michigan and Princeton headed to PK's

uconn 4 rhode island 3 in ot

air force drilling central arkansas 3-0 with 10 minutes to go

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, TennZip said:

zips are heading to Syracuse

good night for the MAC...West Virginia won 4-2

Several high ranked RPI teams struggling in first round

#16 Charlotte is in penalty kick shootout tonight....they advanced play at Va tech next

#18 New Hamphsire lost to Colgate...Colgate plays Wake Forest next

Other games

Portland 1 UCLA 0

Michigan State 2  UIC 0

NC State 4  Campbell 1

James Madison 3 High Point 0

Furman got past UNCW on PK's

Michigan and Princeton headed to PK's

uconn 4 rhode island 3 in ot

air force drilling central arkansas 3-0 with 10 minutes to go

Lipscomb just defeated Washington in PKs, 5-4 (6).  0-0 regulation. Whoa!

Also, UC-Irvine converts a 6-5 PK win in 7 rounds to beat Grand Canyon. 1-1 regulation.  Anteaters play @Stanford Sunday.

Edited by Z.I.P.

Princeton had the opportunity in the 5th and 12th rounds of PKs to put Michigan away after Michigan had missed it's PK but missed on theirs both times. Michigan prevailed in the 14th round of PKs. Both teams made 3 of 5 in 'best-of-5' PKs. A shame it wasn't readily available for viewing; had to follow tracker.

Edited by GoZips88
  • Thanks 1

I’d like to know what the call was too. If Ben was holding the ball too long, ref should have blown whistle, stopped clock, and given Ben a yellow card. I’ve never seen a free kick called for the GK holding the ball too long. 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Zip_ME87 said:

I’d like to know what the call was too. If Ben was holding the ball too long, ref should have blown whistle, stopped clock, and given Ben a yellow card. I’ve never seen a free kick called for the GK holding the ball too long. 

Exactly. 

Here's a page from U.S. Soccer describing the play and their course of action.

https://www.ussoccer.com/stories/2014/03/17/11/20/interfering-with-the-goalkeepers-release-of-the-ball

Edited by chris

In Charlotte's victory over Georgia State, The 49er's had to play short-handed for the last half of the second half due to a player receiving second yellow. Char advances on Pk's. At the time of the second yellow, the 49er's had a 2-1 lead, but Georgia state tied it with 5 minutes left. In the first half, there were more yellow cards issued than there were shots taken. The first yellow card received by the player mentioned above was issued because of excessive celebration after his first goal That player, of course will miss their match at Va Tech. He is their leading scorer.

Edited by bigzipguy
additional fact

Rule 12.2.1 in the NCAA Soccer rule book gives an indirect free kick for “a goalkeeper taking longer than 6 seconds to release the ball.”

http://www.ncaapublications.com/p-4544-2018-and-2019-soccer-rules.aspx

Edit1: Must be the difference between the GK holding the ball too long vs putting it on the ground and taking too long to kick it.

Edit2: Given that the Rider player was harassing Ben and not giving him the required (by rules) space to put the ball back into play, the 6 second rule should not have been applied.

Edited by Zip_ME87

2 hours ago, bigzipguy said:

In Charlotte's victory over Georgia State, The 49er's had to play short-handed for the last half of the second half due to a player receiving second yellow. Char advances on Pk's. At the time of the second yellow, the 49er's had a 2-1 lead, but Georgia state tied it with 5 minutes left. In the first half, there were more yellow cards issued than there were shots taken. The first yellow card received by the player mentioned above was issued because of excessive celebration after his first goal That player, of course will miss their match at Va Tech. He is their leading scorer.

... next time, act like you've scored a goal before.