NCAA Tournament

the seeding committee has been criticized for their high seeding of ACC teams this year.

The Big Ten can certainly beat their chest and strut around

Big ten - 4 teams in the tourney....

final four - 3 big ten teams and Akron

Michigan was the 4th big ten team...Michigan went to PK's in first round and 2nd round

so,,,the big ten currently has a 10-0-2 record currently in the tourney

J.R. Eskilson is a reporter for top drawer soccer

he is also a fan of the soccer style from the zips

his first tweet below ....was after Marcel's first curling shot off the cross bar...2nd tweet was after Ezana's great pass to Marcel...after 2nd goal

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

On 12/1/2018 at 12:22 PM, Zip_ME87 said:

Some on the other side who had brought their own chairs and some standing. Bleachers were not available. Some also standing along the south bleachers (no bleachers available...just the upper chairbacks shown) and a few from the university in the lower bowl which was closed off. With the men's and women's basketball games today, I'm sure they needed to limit the areas that would need to be prepped.

Any idea how much a beer was? It could be a critical point for a buddy of mine. 

17 hours ago, 72 Roo said:

I will be there with a former Zip from Charlotte and one from Phoenix. I understand ME_87 will also be in attendance. We need to have a pub for a pregame Zip rally. If the university doesn't set one up it will far on your shoulders being a local. We will be counting on you :bow:  :thumb:

my memory says that 8 years ago....the university had a pub/bar/restaurant gathering place in SB for the zips fans....I think it was within walking distance of the stadium...and they tried to organize a march to the match from the gathering place.

The athletic department did a very good job in 2010 of communicating and organizing events in 2010

I hope that happens again. Friday is a work day for me (happily I work at UCSB so I will be on campus!). I can get off early but with the game at 5 PM there won't be a lot of time. In 2010 the Zips were in the late game & I came for that (and of course the final on Sunday after they won), but did not attend any of the pre-game stuff.

I'm not on any of the UA mailing lists so please post any details of organized pre-game events here & I will try to make it, thanks!!!

I was curious about the JAR watch party...

Did viewers have audio to listen to?  The Pac-12 Net broadcast crew featured Christopher Sullivan, Fox Sports veteran who was very active in educating his mostly West Coast audience about players grom both teams.  Because of Sullivan the game was very evenly handled,  as well as having expert information for fans of both teams and soccer fans more generally.  However the play-by-play man (whose name I now forget) didn't seem to be a soccer announcing vet and so Sullivan more or less carried the broadcast.  The play-by-play guy also did the Akron-Washington game.  Reason I remembered is he again mispronounced Ezana Kahsay's native country. A-RIT-re-a is not right! smh.  But, I doubt ESPN will have a College Cup announcer as good as Chris Sullivan.

For those of you planning your trips, who were not there in 2010, most of the lodging is in the nearby town of Goleta, which is located between the glitzy city of SB and Isla Vista, where the UCSB campus is located.  If you find a hotel for under $150/nite, JUMP on it.  It's a very expensive area.  Most of the commercial/retail and affordable dining is also in Goleta.  There is a BBQ house there where we grabbed food for tailgating before the game.  Wish I could make the trip this year, but I'm under the weather.  Which, of course is splendid in SB County.  It was in the mid-upper 70s for the final in 2010.  Mornings in Dec can be "brisk" though -- as cool as 40 degrees, so come prepared!

This highlights the importance of using the field to create space for your attack.  I think they go back into their own half twice after plying the penalty area.  Remember how our ol' friend GoZips (may he RIP) would decry the early Embick teams for pulling the ball out of what seemed to him to be the "attacking zone"?  For a team looking to move the defenders to the position that opens up your attack the whole pitch can become the attacking zone!  Stanford didn't know what hit 'em.

BTW,  on that Twitter thread, isn't the responder @BilAey the guy who is one of the most active posters on Big Soccer?  He used to live in Hartville, I think.

8 hours ago, ewbrooman1 said:

Any idea how much a beer was? It could be a critical point for a buddy of mine. 

It was impressive!  $4!!  But they sold out pretty quickly.  Wine too - $4!  And they were pints, not 12 ouncers!

Edited by ZipsVoice
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, Z.I.P. said:

For those of you planning your trips, who were not there in 2010, most of the lodging is in the nearby town of Goleta, which is located between the glitzy city of SB and Isla Vista, where the UCSB campus is located.  If you find a hotel for under $150/nite, JUMP on it.  It's a very expensive area.  Most of the commercial/retail and affordable dining is also in Goleta.  There is a BBQ house there where we grabbed food for tailgating before the game.  Wish I could make the trip this year, but I'm under the weather.  Which, of course is splendid in SB County.  It was in the mid-upper 70s for the final in 2010.  Mornings in Dec can be "brisk" though -- as cool as 40 degrees, so come prepared!

Nearest hotel to UCSB is the Best Western South Coast Inn. I just checked, they have rooms available (I'm surprised) Thurs-Sun for around $200/night. Best rate I saw in a quick search is Sandpiper Lodge at around $120 night. This is a perfectly reasonable place about 8 miles from campus, near a shopping mall. Also near a bus stop for cheapest travel, Uber or taxi also available. Probably have to deal with surge pricing after the game. Head into Isla Vista on foot after the game and find a place to hang out until the crowds go down. 

There is a actually plenty of affordable dining in or near downtown Santa Barbara proper, about 10 miles from campus. State Street, from the beach up to the 1400 block or so, is filled with restaurants, many quite reasonable (under $20 for a good meal). Google the "funk zone" for more ideas (just off State Street); the Lucky Penny is good. A very famous local taco stand (one praised by Julia Child) is La Super Rica on Milpas St, about a mile from downtown. More great Mexican food at Los Agaves, 3 locations, one on Milpas, one in Goleta. Plenty of beaches to walk along: Goleta Beach Park is near campus, also a pretty good restaurant there, the Beachside Bar Cafe. Try the scallops. Oh, Fish Enterprise downtown SB has great seafood, a little pricier (~$30 to $40 for a full meal) but good & a fun place. 

That's it off the top of my head for now ...

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

SB Zipfan, thank you for all of the good info about the area.  Your thoughtfulness will be greatly appreciated by those able to make the trip.

https://www.topdrawersoccer.com/college-soccer-articles/college-cup-field-set-for-santa-barbara_aid45578

Travis Clark has the 34 pass sequence in the news article above.

I am not on twitter...so I don't know if these are high totals...but I notice that when Travis Clark copied the tweet...it is showing that 8,191 people love the akron soccer tweet and that 1,956 people are talking about the akron soccer tweet.  Those seem like super impressive totals to me.

I loved the watch party Friday, but does the tweet referring to "there will be bleacher seating available mean there will not be chairback available like last Friday?  Also, in case one would want to go elsewere, does anyone know of a sports bar in the area who has committed that it will be shown there, or a likelihood of such?

3 minutes ago, ZipsVoice said:

I loved the watch party Friday, but does the tweet referring to "there will be bleacher seating available mean there will not be chairback available like last Friday?  Also, in case one would want to go elsewere, does anyone know of a sports bar in the area who has committed that it will be shown there, or a likelihood of such?

Like last year, J Dublin's is showing the match.

https://twitter.com/ZipsMSoc/status/1069697150907547650

Edited by chris