NCAA Tournament

Getting some rest for David Egbo, Skye Harter and others is going to pay major dividends on Sunday.

I am so happy for Skye Harter.   He was always overshadowed in high school by Chris Brennan.   Skye has improved so much at Akron.

His free kick goal was beautiful.....

and how about that 5th goal from a CVCA alum.    I could hear fknbuflobo cheering that CVCA goal ....from several states away.

Can't wait to read the Santa Barbara updates from Zip_me87 and SBZipfan and others :D

• Like 2

Beacon already has an article up

Much credit to the Beacon for Sending Marla Ridenour out to Santa Barbara for the coverage

https://www.ohio.com/sports/20181207/university-of-akron-mens-soccer-second-championship-in-school-history-within-uas-grasp-after-zips-rout-michigan-state-5-1-at-college-cup

• Like 3

I went to the JAR tonight.  There were some cheerleaders and dance team there but they checked out before the match began.  I think it's hard to have a band and cheer teams when there are no time outs or breaks in the match.  But hearing a bit of the "Blue and Gold" would have been fun.  Bad night for MSU and their goalkeeper.

Edited by NWAkron
  • Like 2

59 minutes ago, NWAkron said:

I went to the JAR tonight.  There were some cheerleaders and dance team there but they checked out before the match began.  I think it's hard to have a band and cheer teams when there are no time outs or breaks in the match.  But hearing a bit of the "Blue and Gold" would have been fun.  Bad night for MSU and their goalie.  I think the fourth goal ricocheted off a Spartan's foot and into the goal.

A little "Blue and Gold" would be great after a goal. I agree there are fewer opportunities for cheer teams, but they can fit a few game action Z-I P-S cheers in. Plus how about some pregame hype rather than watching ESPN2 talking heads on an unrelated show? A game host would help, too. (Is Willy in Santa Barbara?) All I heard was a female voice on the PA after the game thanking us for coming. I don't want to be too critical, but this could be much more of an event with a little more effort. That's how you grow a fan base. 

Edited by ewbrooman1
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, ewbrooman1 said:

A little "Blue and Gold" would be great after a goal. I agree there are fewer opportunities for cheer teams, but they can fit a few game action Z-I P-S cheers in. Plus how about some pregame hype rather than watching ESPN2 talking heads? A game host would help, too. (Is Willy in Santa Barbara?) All I heard was a female voice on the PA after the game thanking us for coming. I don't want to be too critical, but this could be much more of an event with a little more effort. That's how you grow a fan base. 

I agree.  Were.you there when they couldn't get the game up on Hulu?  The crowd got a little tense and was ready to explode.   Looked like the cheerleaders wanted to do something but that lady ushered them out.  

13 minutes ago, NWAkron said:

I agree.  Were.you there when they couldn't get the game up on Hulu?  The crowd got a little tense and was ready to explode.   Looked like the cheerleaders wanted to do something but that lady ushered them out.  

Yeah, I saw the Hulu sign in. I thought for a second I was going to have to watch the start on my phone. ;)

Awesome match. Good group of Zips fans in attendance. Loud and proud. So much to cheer about. Great to see Michael Nanchoff, Jake Fenlason, and Matt Dagilis among the Zips fans!

I don't know if others noticed, but the MAC twitter was supporting its best soccer team well. The conference had at least someone in attendance who was tweeting and who interviewed our players and coach after the match.

Edited by Zip_ME87

I'm impressed by the coverage and enthusiasm from the MAC. Also impressed by the media coverage from our local media. 

Akron vs. Maryland. 

This really has been a run of epic proportions by Akron - Syracuse, Wake, Stanford - and would be fitting to cap it with a victory over Maryland for the title. 

• Like 4

It has been about 12 or 13 years since the former UA Ass't AD took my tag line and turned it into a brand name and clothing line.  When Akron and Maryland played each other in 2005 or 2006 -- might have been first or second round NCAA game, and I closed a post on this board -- or was it the old Blue Board? -- 

"Fear the turtle"??  FEAR THE ROO!!!!

I want my royalties!  :D And ... :NCAAC:

• Like 2

Good times here in Santa Barbara! Great to meet Zip_ME87, 72 Roo, and many more Zips fans! Akron well represented, good show!

Best moment: two women sitting a couple rows in front of us; when Braden Petno scored, one leaped up and yelled "that's my brother!" followed by the other "that's my son!".

Fantastic game to see in person. Zips looked very solid, very impressive. 

I was worried about Indiana in the final, but … no more Indiana! Maryland is still a very good team, but I like Akron's chances. A lot.

Go Zips!

• Like 1

7 hours ago, ewbrooman1 said:

A little "Blue and Gold" would be great after a goal. I agree there are fewer opportunities for cheer teams, but they can fit a few game action Z-I P-S cheers in. Plus how about some pregame hype rather than watching ESPN2 talking heads on an unrelated show? A game host would help, too. (Is Willy in Santa Barbara?) All I heard was a female voice on the PA after the game thanking us for coming. I don't want to be too critical, but this could be much more of an event with a little more effort. That's how you grow a fan base. 

Yes, Willy is here in Santa Barbara and doing his always fantastic job leading our cheers! It's too bad that he cannot be in 2 places at once...he was awesome at the JAR for the Elite8 match. We need another Willy.......Clone...can we get someone to clone Willy, please? :D

Perhaps they could do a Skype, Facetime, or Facebook Live at the JAR focused on Willy and the Zips fans in attendance at UCSB. The crowd back there could join in. Just need to get a 2nd screen / audio system.

Edited by Zip_ME87

There were 3 male Gauchos students who sat in the front of our section last night. I don't know who they were, if they had any connections to Akron, or were there because we're the mid-major in this College Cup of B1G teams + 1, or that they appreciate great Zips soccer. They were fun and seemed to be cheering for Akron. One of them even wore a blue mask (think Lone Ranger type mask)...Gauchos, of course.

The clock for our game counted up (strange that it counted down in the 2nd game).  Anyway, at 68:50 they started counting down..."10, 9, 8, 7, 6, 5, 4, 3, 2, 1" ... and turned to face all of us ... "69 YAY!!!" Strange, but funny! :rofl: You probably had to be there.... We all had puzzled looks on our faces as they started that countdown. But, we were all "high" on what our team was doing on the field; so, who couldn't just love those guys and that bizarre moment.

I thought, hey they have 2 games tonight in which to do this...Perhaps the clock counted down in the 2nd game so that they couldn't do it again...  NCAA / ESPN party poopers. :D

Edited by Zip_ME87
  • Haha 1

good to read that the young Marco M. is OK

https://www.topdrawersoccer.com/college-soccer-articles/akron-maryland-advance-to-the-championship_aid45605

“In these quick turnarounds, I was trying to manage the game,” Akron head coach Jared Embick said about the deep bench and getting nine players off the bench into the game. Embick added that center back Marco Milanese was fine - the freshman had left the game in the second half after a collision with a Michigan State attacker. 

Very new to this soccer thing but my observation: this is what a culture and tradition gets a team and a school.   Like the Dukes and Gonzagas in BB, when the Zips are in the tourney the magic happens and can never be counted out even if the regular season was nothing special.   A culture like this takes a generation to develop.  It's an intangible, a confidence that every Akron Zip soccer player must have when he walks on the field.  I'm sure our AD is thinking about that while he looks for our new "football" coach.  I know budgets, recruiting, available scholarships are part of the mix.  But this is a world class program right in the heart of our city.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1