NCAA Tournament

Let me say first that I am not a big soccer fan.  Even from that perspective, the NCAA men's soccer final deserves better than ESPNU.  Instead, on ESPN and ESPN2, we get something called "Bowl Mania" and a repeat of last night's boxing card.  Awful.  The men's lacrosse final gets more attention.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

12 minutes ago, clarkwgriswold said:

Let me say first that I am not a big soccer fan.  Even from that perspective, the NCAA men's soccer final deserves better than ESPNU.  Instead, on ESPN and ESPN2, we get something called "Bowl Mania" and a repeat of last night's boxing card.  Awful.  The men's lacrosse final gets more attention.

It was on ESPN2 in 2010. 

I believe Cornhole and the infamous Drone Racing League occupied the Sunday night slots last week. But hey, putting the DI collegiate level championship of the biggest sport in the world on regular or 2? Nah. 

Side note: I'm not actually complaining about corn hole being on - love watching it. 

On ‎12‎/‎8‎/‎2018 at 9:16 AM, NWAkron said:

Very new to this soccer thing but my observation: this is what a culture and tradition gets a team and a school.   Like the Dukes and Gonzagas in BB, when the Zips are in the tourney the magic happens and can never be counted out even if the regular season was nothing special.   A culture like this takes a generation to develop.  It's an intangible, a confidence that every Akron Zip soccer player must have when he walks on the field.  I'm sure our AD is thinking about that while he looks for our new "football" coach.  I know budgets, recruiting, available scholarships are part of the mix.  But this is a world class program right in the heart of our city.

Not nearly enough folks, even Akron natives, are aware of the length and the depth of Akron Soccer.  In short, not many know all the soccer things contained in Stu Parry's head.  Soccer is part of Akron community, even beyond our proud Zips program.  And we Zips fans are So. Very. Proud.  But truly, our soccer roots trace way back, before WWI, maybe earlier.  That rich lineage is vibrant and healthy today in NEO.  Soccer is not new here.  This is not a revolution; this is a renaissance.  Someday this history must be told.  

• Like 4

2 hours ago, Let'sGoZips94 said:

It was on ESPN2 in 2010. 

I believe Cornhole and the infamous Drone Racing League occupied the Sunday night slots last week. But hey, putting the DI collegiate level championship of the biggest sport in the world on regular or 2? Nah. 

Side note: I'm not actually complaining about corn hole being on - love watching it. 

That's when there's not poker.

It seems the NCAA would be smarter than to throw it up against the NFL game of the week too.  Yesterday would have been ideal with major college football on a break.

2 minutes ago, TennZip said:

I am glad that to see that Stu Parry is mentioned in this article.  Stu Parry is a gigantic reason that soccer has been so important for this university.

Thank you, Stu Parry.

When the history of Akron soccer is written (Soon, please.....hint, hint....to our most knowledgeable frequent poster !!!), Stu Parry will merit many chapters.

• Like 1

I envy you guys and gals out there, but someone has to stay here and keep the bar open at the JAR Watch party!  B)

I can't believe the excitement level I'm feeling with just 3 plus hours left.  In 2010 it was excruciating nerves, but tonight it just seems like excitement....not over-confidence.  I just feel good about the level these guys have been at ever since the power-outage match didn't happen.  It's been so positive, so disciplined, so....Zips!  Fknbuflobo and I will be sat the JAR (won't we?) and I just watched the Browns win a big one, so bring it home, Boys, and bring it home ZN posters....we'll be waiting when you return, with the Cup!

• Like 1

Getting excited to get takeout and watch the Zips get that second star! Take it to 'em, boys! :rock:

Watching from Baltimore, MD and rooting for the Zips is an interesting paradox. No team I'd rather beat in this game than UMD because they knocked us out in 2003 and 2005. We are yet to beat them in the NCAAT. We are overdue and playing so so well! Game on!

Edited by UAZipster0305

45 minutes ago, ZipsVoice said:

I envy you guys and gals out there, but someone has to stay here and keep the bar open at the JAR Watch party!  B)

I can't believe the excitement level I'm feeling with just 3 plus hours left.  In 2010 it was excruciating nerves, but tonight it just seems like excitement....not over-confidence.  I just feel good about the level these guys have been at ever since the power-outage match didn't happen.  It's been so positive, so disciplined, so....Zips!  Fknbuflobo and I will be sat the JAR (won't we?) and I just watched the Browns win a big one, so bring it home, Boys, and bring it home ZN posters....we'll be waiting when you return, with the Cup!

Yes.  We will be there.