Jump to content

Recommended Posts

8 hours ago, Zip_ME87 said:

The conference had at least someone in attendance who was tweeting and who interviewed our players and coach after the match.

Wouldn't be surprised if it was Jeff Bacon, Associate Commissioner.  He was the chair of the NCAA soccer selection committee.....

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, TennZip said:

Beacon already has an article up

Much credit to the Beacon for Sending Marla Ridenour out to Santa Barbara for the coverage

https://www.ohio.com/sports/20181207/university-of-akron-mens-soccer-second-championship-in-school-history-within-uas-grasp-after-zips-rout-michigan-state-5-1-at-college-cup

 

I love the smiles on the 3 police officers' faces as Carlo and Skye celebrate with a slide in front of them. Courtesy Ohio.com (in the linked article).

 

EP-181208493.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
32 minutes ago, Zip_ME87 said:

 

I love the smiles on the 3 police officers' faces as Carlo and Skye celebrate with a slide in front of them. Courtesy Ohio.com (in the linked article).

 

EP-181208493.jpg

Yeah.  I noticed those smiling officers, too!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

What a dominant performance! This team is flying high. Given the teams we've played, this could be one of the most impressive runs ever to an NCAAC. What's even more incredible is that we've won every game in regular time. Avoiding extra time has been tremendously important in dealing with being on the road for several consecutive weeks.

 

With the starters in, MSU only had two chances. It's too bad the subs couldn't keep the shutout for Lundt. Oh well.

 

Indiana was an excellent team, and Maryland is peaking at the right time, but I firmly believe we finish this thing off tomorrow night. We are a freight train / buzzsaw right now. There is so much confidence and joy on the field, and it's amazing to watch. Second star!

 

Great media coverage and fan participation...exactly the kind of stuff the University needs during these difficult times.

Edited by UAZipster0305

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I may eat these words tomorrow night, but I'm glad we're playing Maryland. 

 

1) Indiana's pep/brass band was really annoying. The fact that's allowed by the NCAA, especially in the tournament after years of a zero tolerance policy towards noise makers in general, is shocking to me. I like the idea of our guys being able to focus more without 4 trumpets, 3 trombones, etc., blowing in their ears. 

 

2) Indiana RIPPED their shots. I was much more impressed by Indiana's attack than Maryland's, although the Terps have some studs and capitalized on their opportunities. 

 

 

I think Akron just scored another goal on MSUcks...

 

Let's get that 2nd Star, boys! :rock:

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Zips fans in Georgia....

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
28 minutes ago, clarkwgriswold said:

Could anybody explain why one might need chairs or blanket for the watch party at the JAR, per the email?

Chairs can be used, but are certainly not necessary.  I have no idea why you would bring a bkanket.  Just show up.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
52 minutes ago, clarkwgriswold said:

Could anybody explain why one might need chairs or blanket for the watch party at the JAR, per the email?

98% of people sat in the chair back upper reserved section.  Others brought lawn chairs, etc and sat on other side where bleachers would normally be

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, eggs said:

Are tickets still available for the championship game?  If so I’m likely to up from San Diego...

 

Yes, absolutely. No chance it will sell out. Tickets are $25 + $1 service fee if bought in advance (print at home). (There is also a will-call option but I do not recommend it.) You can also buy tickets at the venue. Seats are general admission. (The ticketing system will show something like BLU9, but it doesn't mean anything.) Here is the link:

 

https://www.ncaa.com/tickets/soccer-men/d1

 

Hope to see you there!

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
48 minutes ago, NWAkron said:

98% of people sat in the chair back upper reserved section.  Others brought lawn chairs, etc and sat on other side where bleachers would normally be

 

I saw the picture of the people in the upper reserved and figured that was it.  Did they not pull out the bleachers?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, clarkwgriswold said:

 

I saw the picture of the people in the upper reserved and figured that was it.  Did they not pull out the bleachers?

Nope...never got big enough.  In fact attendance was slightly under the Staford game....guessing it might be more Sunday.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, clarkwgriswold said:

 

I saw the picture of the people in the upper reserved and figured that was it.  Did they not pull out the bleachers?

 

3 hours ago, ZipsVoice said:

Nope...never got big enough.  In fact attendance was slightly under the Staford game....guessing it might be more Sunday.

For what it's worth, this was the other side at the beginning of the game on Friday. A few more came. I asked on FB about the chair/blanket thing and they gave me a smart ass answer about people having a lucky chair or blanket. I think they just didn't think there was enough demand to pull out the bleachers. I don't know how much effort or time it takes to pull the bleachers out. We'll see what happens tomorrow. 

20181207_200754_001.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I wish I could capture the excitement of being in Santa Barbara, but here's a feeble try. The team is at a level now that few teams can appreciate, yet alone duplicate. We are rested, confident and extremely well coached. I thought Jared was two steps ahead off his Mich State counterpart all match long. Maryland has strength in its center backs, but we can score in so many ways that will create havoc for them. Our team believes in itself and that is all because of Jared.

 

Today we walked down State street in SB and you wouldn't believe how people would smile at us and say "go Zips" when they saw our Akron Soccer T's. This final match should be a huge spectacle but the NCAA does not give a damn about marketing this weekend. They bid out who wants to host the event and how much they will guarantee the NCAA. Once the event is awarded the NCAA puts all the promotion and marketing on the shoulders of the awarded host. If attendance is poor the NCAA doesn't care, they got their guarantee. The risk is all on the host and it appears UCSB will only break even at best. The Zips and the other three teams deserve better.

 

The Akron following is good, but not great as far as numbers. That's understandable duet the cost. One thing that strikes me is the support of former players and families. Akron is known for the almost fanatical support the former players give the program. So many were in the stands and it was great to renew friendships with them. I don't know if it is well known, but every year Jared asks the former players and friends of the program to help him grow the program. This year it was a new camera system for game /practice review. In past years it might have been for financing trips to Brazil or Europe. We can be proud of our soccer alumni. I wish every sport had this heartfelt support. FWIW not all DI elite programs can claim this level of support too.

 

Well it's low 70's during the day. The field is in beautiful shape and we are ready to win our second star. Please let us know what it's like at the JAR. 

  • Like 4
  • Thanks 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, 72 Roo said:

I wish I could capture the excitement of being in Santa Barbara, but here's a feeble try. The team is at a level now that few teams can appreciate, yet alone duplicate. We are rested, confident and extremely well coached. I thought Jared was two steps ahead off his Mich State counterpart all match long. Maryland has strength in its center backs, but we can score in so many ways that will create havoc for them. Our team believes in itself and that is all because of Jared.

 

Today we walked down State street in SB and you wouldn't believe how people would smile at us and say "go Zips" when they saw our Akron Soccer T's. This final match should be a huge spectacle but the NCAA does not give a damn about marketing this weekend. They bid out who wants to host the event and how much they will guarantee the NCAA. Once the event is awarded the NCAA puts all the promotion and marketing on the shoulders of the awarded host. If attendance is poor the NCAA doesn't care, they got their guarantee. The risk is all on the host and it appears UCSB will only break even at best. The Zips and the other three teams deserve better.

 

The Akron following is good, but not great as far as numbers. That's understandable duet the cost. One thing that strikes me is the support of former players and families. Akron is known for the almost fanatical support the former players give the program. So many were in the stands and it was great to renew friendships with them. I don't know if it is well known, but every year Jared asks the former players and friends of the program to help him grow the program. This year it was a new camera system for game /practice review. In past years it might have been for financing trips to Brazil or Europe. We can be proud of our soccer alumni. I wish every sport had this heartfelt support. FWIW not all DI elite programs can claim this level of support too.

 

Well it's low 70's during the day. The field is in beautiful shape and we are ready to win our second star. Please let us know what it's like at the JAR. 

 

:thumb: Well said. I would only add ... UCSB deserves better [from the NCAA], too. They are GREAT HOSTS. Many THANKS to them!!!

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, eggs said:

Are tickets still available for the championship game?  If so I’m likely to up from San Diego...

 

I suggest going to WIll Call. I think the Akron staff will be handling our tickets there. They may have extras to sell. They also have the wrist bands that get you into the Akron section and may be able to provide you one even if you have to buy a ticket from the event staff or if you already bought one online.

 

See you tonight! Go Zips!!!

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...

×
×
  • Create New...