Game 11—Bowling Green Falcons

Dr Z

4 hours ago, Blue & Gold said:

Don't worry.  Milwee's had a full week to construct a game plan which puts Ramart in the best position to be successful.

Fearless Forecast: We score an offensive TD this week.

BGSU offense has actually looked serviceable this year. It's their defense that can't stop anyone. Personally, I'm looking forward to the match-up of the movable object (Bowling Green D) vs the stoppable force (Akron's offense). 

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, zipsoutsider said:

Remind me how to block a person? I am tired of having to read the same negative crap from the same people on every thread. No need to join in their misery. 

1) Drop down in upper right corner where your username is 2) Click "Ignore Users" from the drop down" 3) Start typing in username then click when it populates 4) click "Add User"

Edited by kreed5120
  • Thanks 1

Paraphrasing coach...Our game plan was to keep it close to the vest and play conservatively and win it at the end. It almost worked. Late turnovers and the under thrown ball to Quad hurt us.

Dr Z: While I can agree with the under thrown ball, and late turnover issue, I have to question the conservative game plan. I feel like you really put your QB at a disadvantage when the defense is able to load up the box and stop the predictable run plays. I thought the less conservative part of the game plan was running read option with a new QB. 

GT: "Kato was warming up, how close was he to playing" TB: " he wasn't"..."I didn't think he could protect himself"...."he has made improvements this week, and will be a game day decision"

ABJ: University of Akron football quarterback situation remains in question for Zips

As for Ramart? With Nelson’s status still questionable, he will be the next man up if needed. Bowden said the redshirt freshman was down after the loss Saturday. The message was simple.

“You’re not the first quarterback to start out bad,” Bowden said.

Alex is going to be fine.  You could tell the game was still moving too fast for him.  The only remedy for that is reps.  It also looked to me like Alex was aiming the ball instead of just throwing it (because he was tight).  Pressing too hard.  I remember those days from when I played; one of the worst feelings in the world.  Only experience cures that.  

If I may, I will point out one thing I think may be a weakness in his game that reps may not remedy - I think his deep balls flutter a little bit & get caught up.  He has a tendency to under throw the deep ball, but he did this in the Spring Game as well, so it wasn't just tightness from starting his first game.  In the Spring Game, IIRC, he threw deep, the ball got caught up and fluttered a little bit & gave time for Reggie Corner to run under it and make the interception.  I believe the same happened in mop-up duty time against Morgan State.  That's something he'll have to work on in the off season.

Again, I'll clarify my frustration lies with Milwee.  Not Alex.  Alex is going to be fine.  But Milwee's been underwhelming as OC for... Idk... five years now?

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, Blue & Gold said:

Again, I'll clarify my frustration lies with Milwee.  Not Alex.  Alex is going to be fine.  But Milwee's been underwhelming as OC for... Idk... five years now?

Is coach Bowden instructing a conservative game plan, like he indicated in his press conference? What if coach told AJ, let's have a better mix of pass and run this week (15 passing attempts last week, 31 rushing attempts)? IMO, I don't think our running and punting game are advanced enough for a "conservative" game plan. Our defense is, but that's only part of the formula for being conservative. I wish we knew more about the offensive game planning. I'll do my best to get some answers at the beginning of next year.

By the way, BG ranks at the top of the nation in pass defense, and at the very bottom in run defense. So one could expect the same percentage of pass vs run this week. 

I'm far from a QB expert, but something about his throwing motion looked off. Like he would throw off of his back foot rather than step into the throw, which would obviously cause the ball to not have as much zip as you'd like. Anyone else see something similar?

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, LZIp said:

I'm far from a QB expert, but something about his throwing motion looked off. Like he would throw off of his back foot rather than step into the throw, which would obviously cause the ball to not have as much zip as you'd like. Anyone else see something similar?

Hard for me to judge at EMU on just 15 pass attempts. I can tell you he looked fine in two scrimmages this summer. 

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Dr Z said:

By the way, BG ranks at the top of the nation in pass defense, and at the very bottom in run defense. So one could expect the same percentage of pass vs run this week. 

Bowling Green has a really poor pass defense as well. They give up 8.08 yards per attempt, which puts them well in the bottom half of college football. Teams just don't pass it on them (fewest attempts against per game against) because there is no need to pass the ball when you're able to get 6.1 ypc.

Edited by kreed5120

I get that and honestly am not trying to start an argument with you. I'm just simply stating their pass defense is far from good and if we need to pass we shouldn't have any problems. As you can see below they're 100th in yards allowed per pass attempt and have the fewest pass attempts against them of any team in CFB. Claiming them as a top 10 pass defense is misleading because teams just simply don't attempt passes against them because they have so much success running.

image.png

image.png

image.png

• Like 2

How do repeated 3 & out's help one win a game?  If a D loads up on one area, they must leave other areas vulnerable.  It's on the OC to exploit those vulnerabilities.  We seem to put our O in a position to be exploited.  RPO when there are more defenders than blockers,  Roll out and then throw 50yds across the field.  I can't believe that any reasonable person wouldn't see that we had no offense last week.  I hope we don't see a repeat this week.

5 hours ago, Blue & Gold said:

It also looked to me like Alex was aiming the ball instead of just throwing it

This as what I said earlier in the season about Kato...but his mechanics have gotten a lot better since the Miami game IMHO.  You're right, Alex will sooner than later start throwing it, rather than aiming it.

• Like 2

Allow me to chime in:

I agree with the assessments that AR12 hasn't looked quite "right" in game action this season.

There are myriad reasons for that and you guys have identified several; being "tight", aiming the ball, not comfortable with the speed of the game, not getting his power out of his back leg (aka throwing off his back foot), etc.

I suspect that it's a combination of all of that. If you've seen his high school film, you know it's not that he "can't" throw the deep ball or that he lacks the arm to make any throw out on the field. Some of this is just timing and understanding how deep to throw a given route based on the receiver that's running it. 

As fans (and certainly as parents) it's tough to watch a young player go through the process of growth. We'd like them to be 100% ready and prepared as soon as they step on the field.

QB is probably the hardest position in sports - there's only roughly 1000 +/- people on the planet that can do what D1 QBs can do (counting the NFL guys plus all the D1 QBs on rosters right now).

There is a growth process that takes live games reps to be a catalyst. KN1 has grown a lot with his playing time last year and this year as you would expect. 

The game of football is HARD. It humbles you. You have to want to get back up and go back to battle for the men next to you more than your ego hurts in order to succeed.

AR12 will be fine; he'll get back to work and assess his weaknesses and come back stronger. 

The Zips will be fine too. They have a lot of talented, hard-working young men looking to build something together. It's unfortunate that the seniors won't have finished their climb to claim the MAC Championship but they have laid a foundation and set the bar for the next mob of Zips.

#FearTheRoo

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, CDMac said:

As fans (and certainly as parents) it's tough to watch a young player go through the process of growth. We'd like them to be 100% ready and prepared as soon as they step on the field.

QB is probably the hardest position in sports - there's only roughly 1000 +/- people on the planet that can do what D1 QBs can do (counting the NFL guys plus all the D1 QBs on rosters right now).

There is a growth process that takes live games reps to be a catalyst. KN1 has grown a lot with his playing time last year and this year as you would expect.

Takes a lot of guts for a parent to come here, knowing people are going to be taking swipes at your kid.

Looking forward to watching Alex grow into the position.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

17 minutes ago, zipsoutsider said:

Takes a lot of guts for a parent to come here, knowing people are going to be taking swipes at your kid.

Thanks, @zipsoutsider

I figure I came to this board to provide insight where I could; no sense in hiding from rightfully frustrated fans.

I think y'all have been more than fair in your assessments of the team, players, and the program.

It's a good growth moment for us parents too, to be honest.

• Like 2