20018-19 Women's Bball

Blue & Gold

The women's team has started out strong under first year head coach Melissa Jackson.  They're 3-0 w/ 3 convincing wins thus far

49-36 over North Carolina A&T

85-65 over Oakland

77-60 over Northern Kentucky

Here's an ABJ article following the win over Oakland: Megan Sefcik leads Zips to big win

The article states that, even though Coach Jackson had been an assistant coach at UA under Jody Kest, she's changed some things both offensively and defensively & that, fortunately, the girls have all bought in.

“The transition’s been smooth,” Jackson said. “The kids have made it really easy. They’ve bought in to everything. We’ve completely changed our offense. The defensive principles are different.”

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, Blue & Gold said:

The women's team has started out strong under first year head coach Melissa Jackson.  They're 3-0 w/ 3 convincing wins thus far

49-36 over North Carolina A&T

85-65 over Oakland

77-60 over Northern Kentucky

Here's an ABJ article following the win over Oakland: Megan Sefcik leads Zips to big win

The article states that, even though Coach Jackson had been an assistant coach at UA under Jody Kest, she's changed some things both offensively and defensively & that, fortunately, the girls have all bought in.

“The transition’s been smooth,” Jackson said. “The kids have made it really easy. They’ve bought in to everything. We’ve completely changed our offense. The defensive principles are different.”

Those look like 3 D1 teams.  Good for the new coach.

Cant State beat Oakland at home today 75-65 IIRC.  We beat them 85-65 at Kent.  Melissa is a breath of fresh air in the progeam.  I definitely see the ladies buying in for her -- well she's been on the Akron bench for ten years, so these players know her!  Remember, the last time an Akron assistant replaced the head coach, it was Dambrot taking Hipsher's place.  BTW. She has a strong 2019 recruiting class, including two players from Cincinatti who originally verballed to Bowling Green -- the school that signed the HOT coach from Ashland.  I guess they thought Akron was the new hot place to be!  :wave:

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Z.I.P., I criticized Williams for this hire, but if she proves me wrong, which I hope she does, I will gladly acknowledge my mistake and give her all the credit for a fantastic rebuild. Best left her little and if she wins it's all on her.

Mahalo.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Zipmeister said:

Looks like we are cluttering up the basketball thread with stuff that belongs in the other sports thread again?

#1.  This is a separate topic

#2.  I think even though it's a different gender they are still playing the sport of basketball. (Even though the ball they use is smaller which is why they seem to make more free throws than men)

#3.  This forum is designated for both men's and women's hoops.

#4.  A shout out to a new coach who is rebuilding from nothing...is a good thing

:wave:

Edited by NWAkron
  • Like 5

• 3 weeks later...

I went to my first women's game this year today against Butler, picked to finish 7th out of 10 in the Big East this year. I thought it might be a bit of a reality check this time of year and it was. Zips hung tough for a while, but got outscored 24-12 in the 3Q and lost by 16. Trailed by as many as 23. Edmonds still did not play again due to disciplinary reasons I believe. Sefcik only got off 6 shots. Still a lot of work to do for the team.

Edited by ewbrooman1

• 1 month later...
1 minute ago, kreed5120 said:

Given how gloomy the men's team is looking I figure I'd look to see how the lady Zips are doing. They're now 11-3 overall and 2-1 in the MAC. The lone conference loss being against CMU whose just sitting outside the top 25. 

Yes!!  Watched the end of the BG game.  BG has the star Ashland coach, no?  Zip women didn't choke.  May need to take in a game.

I went to the game yesterday. I was a bit interested to see a contest between two new coaches trying to rebuild their programs, not to mention we might have had an interest in Fralick if Kest had retired earlier. There was a good crowd with plenty of BG fans.  It looked like the Zips women were going to roll, but BG rallied to make it a game. To their credit, the Zips women didn't fold and won. So far they've won the MAC games they should (WMU had their two leading scorers out with injuries and their team MVP from last year is redshirting for medical reasons). It sure beats watching them lose 19 MAC games in a row. Hopefully Coach Jackson can keep them playing  tough for their game against the EMUs on Wednesday.

Edited by ewbrooman1
  • Like 2

• 4 weeks later...

Coach Jackson is teaching this team how to win. They are a work in progress with a high ceiling. I was not in favor of her hiring but she is proving that I don't know what I'm talking about. Best of luck to the ladies. Keep bringing it in every game.

• Thanks 1

38 minutes ago, 72 Roo said:

Coach Jackson is teaching this team how to win. They are a work in progress with a high ceiling. I was not in favor of her hiring but she is proving that I don't know what I'm talking about. Best of luck to the ladies. Keep bringing it in every game.

Yeah, maybe Larry Williams knew not to go after the Ashland coach.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

If you follow coach Jackson's Twitter feed, and follow youth/HS girls' bb little you can see that she is VERY busy in the recruiting field, even during days off during the season.  She has a couple of junior and sophomore verbal commitments and travels to watch her future recruits whenever possible.  And, as I think I mentioned somewhere earlier, two of next year's freshmen originally committed to BGSU before their coaching change last year.

• Like 2

ABJ: Injured Hoban senior Emma Tecca enjoys watching 22-0 Knights

Here is a nice article about UA recruit Emma Tecca & Archbishop Hoban's 22-0 girls' basketball team.

This is the 2nd consecutive year Emma's had to sit out due to an ACL injury (different knee each year).

That's a bit concerning.  I hope she's okay & I hope she has better fortune, health-wise, during her promising college career.

Great win yesterday. The ABJ ran a nice article on Coach Jackson last Thursday. It would have been nicer to run it the day of a game, but timing isn't always their strong point. https://www.ohio.com/sports/20190220/university-of-akron-womens-basketball-first-year-coach-melissa-jackson-infusing-enthusiasm-into-zips-program

Edited by ewbrooman1

Really good game. Megan Sefcik has a great all-around game, Caitlyn Vari is a rebounding machine & Haleigh Renholt is straight badass. 

Good move by the UA putting the games on ESPN+. I had never been too interested in women’s b-ball but after watching a handful of games I’m starting to really identify with the team! I went to the Miami game & wanted to attend the double-header yesterday but due to an unforeseen circumstance had to settle watching from home.  They took it to Buffalo ??

• Like 1