20018-19 Women's Bball

Blue & Gold

1 hour ago, clarkwgriswold said:

I have to admit I was skeptical when they hired Melissa Jackson.  I thought it was obvious that they wanted to move on from Kest so it didn't make sense to me that they were essentially promoting from her staff.  Glad I was wrong!

I was right there with you. I recall the rumblings on ZN.o were that Larry Williams mailed it in & the U obviously doesn’t really care about the success of the women’s team. Man, we couldn’t have been more wrong. LW really knows what he’s doing & I still can’t believe the effect simply moving Melissa Jackson up one chair has had on the program :bow:

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Blue & Gold said:

I was right there with you. I recall the rumblings on ZN.o were that Larry Williams mailed it in & the U obviously doesn’t really care about the success of the women’s team. Man, we couldn’t have been more wrong. LW really knows what he’s doing & I still can’t believe the effect simply moving Melissa Jackson up one chair has had on the program :bow:

Because likely she was sitting there game after game taking note of everything Kest was doing wrong and that she would change if only she was given a chance.  

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I was right there with you in questioning the hiring of coach Jackson. It did not make sense on the surface. Obviously LW dug deeper and found someone who could reach the players, coach and instill discipline. I was wrong and I'm glad to admit it. 

Great news that the Wahine Zips get rewarded for their turn-around season with a trip to the Women's Basketball Invitational!  Coach Jackson's troops will head to Cookeville, Tennessee for a game Thursday at 6 p.m. against the Tennessee Tech Golden Eagles of the Ohio Valley Conference.  I can't say much about TTU, other than the fact that 25-30 yrs ago they were considered a traditional mid-major power in women's hoops, and were frequently ranked in the top twenty.  Their program has been on hard times for a while however.  Perhaps both of these programs are rebounding. I think UA played at Tech several years ago.  In any case, the opportunity to be one of...I think seven MAC WBB teams in the post-season is a deserved honor for one of the top first year coaches in the nation.  Also another game for great senior sharp shooter Megan Cefcik.