Possible Candidates

LoyalZIP

18 minutes ago, UA1987 said:

Bro - ha ha ha that's funny - take a look at Cleveland - used to be a city of 1,000,000 now 300,000. Columbus is solid, but they don't call this area the rust belt for nothing.  

I'm sorry, I didn't realize everyone in NEO lived in Cleveland city limits. Something happened called white flight and people moved to the suburbs. You're right NEO population has decreased, but it's by about 250k in a 40 year span. Other states with growing populations, particularly Georgia, Alabama, and Florida have been able to close the gap or even pass Ohio in producing talent, but Ohio still produces a lot of talent itself and that talent is mostly coming from NEO & Cincy, not Columbus. 

image.png

Edited by kreed5120

4 minutes ago, UA1987 said:

Bro - ha ha ha that's funny - take a look at Cleveland - used to be a city of 1,000,000 now 300,000. Columbus is solid, but they don't call this area the rust belt for nothing.  

Cleveland's population peaked at 915k in 1950. The population loss isn't anything new and has slowed down dramatically after the recession. The region is still the 16th largest in the country...people might be leaving the city but there are plenty who are staying in the region. The regional population is only about 30% off of its historical peak in 1970.

Regardless of the numbers, none of this new and suddenly making NE Ohio football talent irrelevant.

17 minutes ago, LZIp said:

Cleveland's population peaked at 915k in 1950. The population loss isn't anything new and has slowed down dramatically after the recession. The region is still the 16th largest in the country...people might be leaving the city but there are plenty who are staying in the region. The regional population is only about 30% off of its historical peak in 1970.

Regardless of the numbers, none of this new and suddenly making NE Ohio football talent irrelevant.

I'm from Warren originally. It's been in a constant economic depression for years and getting even worse (Lordstown). That's N/E Ohio last time I looked at it. The high schools were combined about 15 years ago due to declining enrollment. The area used to be a hotbed. Some good players come out of there don't get me wrong - but a hotbed - more like a hot stool (innuendo).   

Edited by UA1987

From 2013-2017 Ohio produced 79 blue chip recruits. That's 5th best in the entire country. Argue with facts all you want, but Ohio still produces lots of elite talent comparative to other states. I live in Stark county that's N/E Ohio last I checked. Every year Stark county sends several players to big time D1 programs.

https://www.sbnation.com/college-football-recruiting/2016/6/28/12040586/rankings-state-stars-florida-texas-california

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, kreed5120 said:

From 2013-2017 Ohio produced 79 blue chip recruits. That's 5th best in the entire country. Argue with facts all you want, but Ohio still produces lots of elite talent comparative to other states. I live in Stark county that's N/E Ohio last I checked. Every year Stark county sends several players to big time D1 programs.

https://www.sbnation.com/college-football-recruiting/2016/6/28/12040586/rankings-state-stars-florida-texas-california

Northeast Ohio? Sure some good players come out of our region, but it is not what it used to be that's all I'm saying. 

Edited by UA1987

31 minutes ago, UA1987 said:

When was Cleveland's Population 1,000,000!?  1960s? 

5 minutes ago, kreed5120 said:

You stated a key fact...the BEST HS players from around here do not usually come to Akron or the school in Portage County. They go to the Big 10 and other higher level conferences. It is true that there is still some 'big time' HS talent around here. Just doesn't normally land here. Western Pennsylvania should become an area of emphasis again.

2 hours ago, Let'sGoZips94 said:

Exactly.

I don't understand the notion that we need to hire someone as quickly as possible to save a recruiting class. The foundation of talent on this team is 10x better than what Bowden had when he was hired. The floor going forward should be 4-8, and that gives the new coach time to learn the University and put together an excellent recruiting pitch. Besides, football is a system-dominated sport. The right coach will win with lesser talent if his system is superior. Bowden had more talent than half the teams we played and lost to this season; his offense (ran by Milwee) blew. 

Problem might be that some of the people Bowden brought in or was recruiting will go elsewhere now that Bowden is gone. Happens all the time. The team as it is constituted now may lose some key people over the winter.

13 hours ago, Blue & Gold said:

Great article.  

I know we're hiring a national search firm, but you've got to think LW, being a football guy, already has his short list of guys he's just salivating to talk to.  This has probably consumed his thinking over the last few years.  I'd be shocked were that not the case.

As before,he has had names in mind since he became the AD. If he makes a good hire here his next level AD job will come calling.

32 minutes ago, Lee Adams said:

You stated a key fact...the BEST HS players from around here do not usually come to Akron or the school in Portage County. They go to the Big 10 and other higher level conferences. It is true that there is still some 'big time' HS talent around here. Just doesn't normally land here. Western Pennsylvania should become an area of emphasis again.

It's not like NEO produces only blue chip players and nothing else. I'm looking at last years recruiting rankings and I see tons of NEO who were 3* players. The problem is they're going to other MAC schools instead of Akron. We only recruited 3 Ohio players ranked in the top 100 and none higher than 89. Below are some of the players we missed out on.

DeAmonte King - 47th rated from Akron - Committed Toledo

Adam Mehelic - 52nd rated from Hudson - Committed Miami (OH)

Kyle Vantrease - 53rd rated from Stow - Committed Buffalo

Travis Koontz - 54th rated from Youngstown - Committed BGSU

Victor Williams - 56th rated from Warren - Committed Toledo

John Spellacy - 59th rated from Cleveland - Committed ECU

There are plenty more that I could point out, but I don't feel like listing each and every single one. I get we can't get every single one of these guys. Some guys want to get away for college and that's fine, but it would be nice to get a few of them. Also, it's not like we have to recruit only NEO, we could target some players in the Cincy, Toledo, or Western PA area as you previously mentioned. A lot of kids like getting away for college, but still like to be close enough that they can be home within a few hours of driving.

https://247sports.com/Season/2017-Football/RecruitRankings/?InstitutionGroup=HighSchool&State=OH

Edited by kreed5120

43 minutes ago, UA1987 said:

Northeast Ohio? Sure some good players come out of our region, but it is not what it used to be that's all I'm saying. 

All the states that have narrowed the recruiting gap compared to Ohio are in the south. Ohio by far and away is still the best state in the MAC footprint for recruiting. Michigan, New York, Indiana, and Illinois haven't narrowed the gap any.

3 hours ago, kreed5120 said:

All the states that have narrowed the recruiting gap compared to Ohio are in the south. Ohio by far and away is still the best state in the MAC footprint for recruiting. Michigan, New York, Indiana, and Illinois haven't narrowed the gap any.

https://www.post-gazette.com/sports/high-school-football/2018/10/18/Western-Pennsylvania-WPIAL-high-school-football-talent-decline-recruiting/stories/201810170104

Here's an interesting read. Cleveland mentioned later in article. Any N/E Ohio city could just the same be mentioned.

Anyhow to keep this topic sensitive, I'm surprised Marla didn't say in her article that Williams should consider Condoleezza Rice for HC.   

Edited by UA1987
  • Haha 2

9 minutes ago, UA1987 said:

https://www.post-gazette.com/sports/high-school-football/2018/10/18/Western-Pennsylvania-WPIAL-high-school-football-talent-decline-recruiting/stories/201810170104

Here's an interesting read. Cleveland mentioned later in article. Any N/E Ohio city could just the same be mentioned.    

At this point I'm not sure what you're trying to even argue??? I've already admitted Ohio lost ground to Florida, Georgia, Alabama, and Louisiana region. It will likely continue to lose ground to those states. What I've argued is despite that Ohio is still a top 5 state for recruiting and NEO is still by far and away, outside of maybe Cincy, the best region in the MAC footprint to recruit. Please provide me evidence showing that Buffalo, DeKalb, Toledo, Kalamazoo, and Detroit metro areas produce anywhere near the level of D1 talent that NEO produces.

All the states that have narrowed the recruiting gap compared to Ohio are in the south

15 hours ago, Hilltopper said:

"InfoCision Stadium might be an albatross"

Had she ever been to the Rubber Bowl?

I would love to see her write a column on why such a nice stadium is an "albatross." Who's fault is it?

Scarborough said "I wouldn't have built that stadium." Seems like everyone is keen to blame Mike Thomas for giving UA a beautiful on-campus stadium for a paltry 61.5 million dollars (it would cost double that to build it today).

Different topic for a different thread, but it just bugs me that no one since Mike Waddell has busted his butt to fill UA's football stadium. 

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, kreed5120 said:

At this point I'm not sure what you're trying to even argue??? I've already admitted Ohio lost ground to Florida, Georgia, Alabama, and Louisiana region. It will likely continue to lose ground to those states. What I've argued is despite that Ohio is still a top 5 state for recruiting and NEO is still by far and away, outside of maybe Cincy, the best region in the MAC footprint to recruit. Please provide me evidence showing that Buffalo, DeKalb, Toledo, Kalamazoo, and Detroit metro areas produce anywhere near the level of D1 talent that NEO produces.

Point (if you read back) - high school recruiting numbers are is down in the N/E Ohio area. Can we still be called a hotbed like in Marla's article - nope. Good recruiting area, yes, but there has been a significant drop and the hotbeds are now in the south. Interestingly, we just lost our Florida pipeline until we see what the new HC can do. I'm hoping for the best.                

15 minutes ago, UA1987 said:

Point (if you read back) - high school recruiting numbers are is down in the N/E Ohio area. Can we still be called a hotbed like in Marla's article - nope. Good recruiting area, yes, but there has been a significant drop and the hotbeds are now in the south. Interestingly, we just lost our Florida pipeline until we see what the new HC can do. I'm hoping for the best.                

Your rational makes absolute 0 sense. So if Florida saw a decline of about 10% in recruiting and slid behind California to become the #3 best state for recruiting they would no longer be a hot bed? Ohio is still a top 5 recruiting state (I posted the numbers to back it up) and NEO is the best region in the state for recruiting. Maybe in 40 more years it won't be, but as of today it is.

Edited by kreed5120

Infocision may be a financial albatross but it's also the primary draw (with the other facilities) right now.  Can you imagine the hole the Zips would be in with the coaching search without it?

I don't expect every kid to want to stay home. For some, getting away is part of the college experience.  That being said, local kids can't be ignored like some of those on Kreed's list were, only to strengthen other MAC programs.

I've just accepted that I'll see 2-3 articles per year about Infocision for the next 20+ years until it's paid off. At this point, regardless of how you fill about it, it's a sunk cost. Bulldozing it won't suddenly make the payments go away. We need to try to make the best of the situation. No point in beating a dead horse.

Edited by kreed5120
  • Like 2

16 minutes ago, kreed5120 said:

Your rational makes absolute 0 sense. So if Florida saw a decline of about 10% in recruiting and slid behind California to become the #3 best state for recruiting they would no longer be a hot bed? Ohio is still a top 5 recruiting state (I posted the numbers to back it up) and NEO is the best region in the state for recruiting. Maybe in 40 more years it won't be, but as of today it is.

No sense talking to you. You have been blocked. 

7 minutes ago, kreed5120 said:

I've just accepted that I'll see 2-3 articles per year about Infocision for the next 20+ years until it's paid off. At this point, regardless of how you fill about it, it's a sunk cost. Bulldozing it won't suddenly make the payments go away. At this stage it's about trying to make the best of the situation. No point in beating a dead horse.

Until some contenders names start dropping, I think this thread will be full of all sorts of handwringing debates.

15 minutes ago, kreed5120 said:

I tried listening to it online, but it keeps cutting out after about 3 seconds. If you could provide a summary of any interesting tid bits, it would be appreciated.

Stars Wars Episode 1 was better than Return of the Jedi

OSU should be in over OU

Baker should be rookie of the year

• Haha 3