Possible Candidates

LoyalZIP

We can talk about population all week, but the simple fact is football is THE sport in Ohio high schools, especially northeast Ohio. It's a northeast Ohio hotbed. The best athletes play football in high school. In other parts of the country, that isn't true. 

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

We are up to 5 pages, and the last 3 are a back and forth on if Ohio is a Top 5 recruiting state and if that even matters, and nothing on possible candidates.  I just wanted to come by with a "looks like I was wrong" comment and see what people are hearing.

19 hours ago, kreed5120 said:

I tried listening to it online, but it keeps cutting out after about 3 seconds. If you could provide a summary of any interesting tid bits, it would be appreciated.

Just got home. Okay, really nothing new. GT thinks UA really wanted to make the move last year, but then we went and won the MAC East, so they simply couldn’t after that. GT mentioned the offense has been abysmal.

Both GT and Sam  Bourquin mentioned Larry Kheres and Mike Jacobs (HC at Norte Dame College) as persons they hope UA considers.  I was glad to hear Sam mention Larry Kheres’ name. Sam’s very familiar with UMU athletics so Kheres must not be out of the realm of possibility.

Edited by Blue & Gold

3 hours ago, Spin said:

We can talk about population all week, but the simple fact is football is THE sport in Ohio high schools, especially northeast Ohio. It's a northeast Ohio hotbed. The best athletes play football in high school. In other parts of the country, that isn't true. 

I lived in Texas for 10 years. I can assure U that THE best athletes there play football. And pretty much at a higher level than is played in Ohio these days.  Go to Dallas,Houston, San Antonio etc,etc. The public schools down there have THE best facilities.Private schools in Texas don't compete with public schools for state championships if I am not mistaken. No advantage in going to a private school if you can't AFFORD it and u want to play football. Unlike here. I lived in AZ.  That has become a football hot bed in the last 25 years. None of them are going to come to this part of the world to play in shitty weather when they can play in AZ or California. Those parts of the country are gaining population. Thus more kids playing sports in the schools.

Edited by Lee Adams

We need another experienced college head coach. It was the experienced Bowden who rescued the program from the disaster the inexperienced iCoach left us with. We need anopther experienced college head coach to take it from here.

How many rookie head coaches have we lived through between the Zips and the Browns over the decades?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

41 minutes ago, Lee Adams said:

I lived in Texas for 10 years. I can assure U that THE best athletes there play football. And pretty much at a higher level than is played in Ohio these days.  Go to Dallas,Houston, San Antonio etc,etc. The public schools down there have THE best facilities.Private schools in Texas don't compete with public schools for state championships if I am not mistaken. No advantage in going to a private school if you can't AFFORD it and u want to play football. Unlike here. I lived in AZ.  That has become a football hot bed in the last 25 years. None of them are going to come to this part of the world to play in shitty weather when they can play in AZ or California. Those parts of the country are gaining population. Thus more kids playing sports in the schools.

Texas kind of is the mecca of high school football. We can agree to disagree about Arizona.

1 hour ago, Lee Adams said:

Texas is another hotspot for high school football.

Most places in the country  draw less fans and students to varsity football games than some of the JV games in the hot spots.

We might not get a lot of recruits from Texas (although we were getting quite a few from Florida another hot spot), getting good players from Ohio gets their family and friends to the games. They have support. They can go home on holidays and on weekends in the off season. 

Edited by Spin

GT Article with potential candidates-

https://www.ohio.com/sports/20181203/university-of-akron-football-head-coaching-job-could-be-desirable-landing-spot-for-some

Candidates referenced in article-  

• Luke Getsy: Offensive coordinator/wide receivers coach at Mississippi State. 

• Ryan Held: Running backs coach at Nebraska. 

• Mike Jacobs: Head coach at Notre Dame College.

• Michael Johnson: Wide receivers coach at Oregon.

• Vince Kehres. Head coach at Mount Union.

• Brian Polian. Recruiting/special teams coordinator at Notre Dame.

• Ed Warinner. Offensive line coach at Michigan.

I think we can now eliminate these as strong possibilities.  LOL.

• Thanks 2

With all the talk about a head coach, I wonder who might make good assistants. Jim Ballard,former Cuyahoga Falls and MOUNT UNION QB who spent time in the CFL and I think in the NFL would make an interesting QB coach or OC. Has the Mount pedigree. Runs a QB training academy. One of the problems around here has been developing QB's to potential.

24 minutes ago, Lee Adams said:

With all the talk about a head coach, I wonder who might make good assistants. Jim Ballard,former Cuyahoga Falls and MOUNT UNION QB who spent time in the CFL and I think in the NFL would make an interesting QB coach or OC. Has the Mount pedigree. Runs a QB training academy. One of the problems around here has been developing QB's to potential.

I wonder where Milwee will go and that guy who ran up and down the sidelines trying to excite the players.

3 hours ago, clarkwgriswold said:

GT Article with potential candidates-

https://www.ohio.com/sports/20181203/university-of-akron-football-head-coaching-job-could-be-desirable-landing-spot-for-some

Candidates referenced in article-  

• Luke Getsy: Offensive coordinator/wide receivers coach at Mississippi State. 

• Ryan Held: Running backs coach at Nebraska. 

• Mike Jacobs: Head coach at Notre Dame College.

• Michael Johnson: Wide receivers coach at Oregon.

• Vince Kehres. Head coach at Mount Union.

• Brian Polian. Recruiting/special teams coordinator at Notre Dame.

• Ed Warinner. Offensive line coach at Michigan.

I think we can now eliminate these as strong possibilities.  LOL.

George has certainly hurt their chances by, well let's face it, being George. But of the group I am intrigued by Getsy and Kehres. I like Getsy's progression up the ladder, his offenses and his history with us. As for Kehres I believe he knows how to win, no matter what the challenge. I also think he may be more about legacy than moving on to the next level and better pay. His dad repeatedly turned down better offers and showed by example that money isn't everything. I like guys who know how to win and make that expectation part of the team culture. Kehres also picks good assistants and manages them well as a staff. I do not believe TB did that well. At Mount they have 13 assistants. Many are volunteer coaches who receive little to no pay, but they are highly qualified ex-D1 or NFL coaches or NFL players who love being part of the game. He deserves an interview if he will take it.

• Like 1

I am not big on Notre Dame, especially based on past experience with a former Akron head coach who shall not be named (Faust Excluded).  It would surprise me that Brian Polian would be interested in Akron.  If he is, he would be a huge get for Akron.  He has been a successful head coach at Nevada, has great connections, and has been Notre Dame's recruiting coordinator.  Recruiting is the life blood of college football and those connections can prove very valuable.  I think a lot of the names that have been floated have potential.  Polian seems to be a premier candidate IMO.

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, zvillezip said:

I am not big on Notre Dame, especially based on past experience with a former Akron head coach who shall not be named (Faust Excluded).  It would surprise me that Brian Polian would be interested in Akron.  If he is, he would be a huge get for Akron.  He has been a successful head coach at Nevada, has great connections, and has been Notre Dame's recruiting coordinator.  Recruiting is the life blood of college football and those connections can prove very valuable.  I think a lot of the names that have been floated have potential.  Polian seems to be a premier candidate IMO.

Remember the last time we hired a Notre Dame recruiting coordinator as our head coach? Pass

Edited by kreed5120
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, kreed5120 said:

Remember the last time we hired a Notre Dame recruiting coordinator as our head coach? Pass

Not that I'm in favor of Polian based on the very limited knowledge I have of him, but using that as a disqualifer is pretty lazy.