Possible Candidates

LoyalZIP

I am wary of any candidate that has only seen coaching success at schools with football budgets that eclipse UA's entire endowment. Likewise, I'm wary of any candidate that doesn't have at least coordinator experience. Being a head coach is more than just football. It's also managing an organization. You need to be able to hire a good staff and then put them in positions to succeed. You need to be able to connect with the community and work with the athletic department to fill seats. No amount of playcalling or position technique knowledge can prepare someone to do that.

• Like 3

If coaches like Arth are the type the Zips are looking for I still think they should look at Joe Harasymiak at the University of Maine. Of course, they probably can't talk to him yet because his team is still playing in the FCS playoffs. He may not have the NEO ties that Arth does but if you can recruit to Orono, Maine I would have to think you can recruit to Akron.

Maine was the surprise regular season title this year in what is generally considered the top FCS conference. He seems like the type that really connects with his players. He is definitely an up and comer.

7 hours ago, Captain Kangaroo said:

A solid COO or VP of Sales at any successful company, with zero football experience, could hire a great football coach at Akron. 

As a successful VP of Sales at a successful company, I am READY to take over this search.....you’re welcome ZN board...:rock::wave:

• Haha 1

9 hours ago, Let'sGoZips94 said:

Arth isn't my first choice, but again, to say you're done with the program if they hire him is absurd. 

Fair enough.  This is my first coaching change I've had to follow beyond Ianello -> so I was expecting something more...exciting...

11 minutes ago, Balsy said:

Fair enough.  This is my first coaching change I've had to follow beyond Ianello -> so I was expecting something more...exciting...

Know what's exciting? Winning. Some of the most "exciting" hires I've seen have been full of hot air and the excitement wanes quite quickly when you don't win. Take a look at the reception when Gundy hired Yurcich, or on the flip side when Pitt hired Todd Graham.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, zippy5 said:

Know what's exciting? Winning. Some of the most "exciting" hires I've seen have been full of hot air and the excitement wanes quite quickly when you don't win. Take a look at the reception when Gundy hired Yurcich, or on the flip side when Pitt hired Todd Graham.

(shrug) There seems to be a lot of people excited about some guy who had success at some D-III college.

8 hours ago, Captain Kangaroo said:

I would contend that, had Woodson not been suspended, Bowden would have won a lot more games. And if Kato wouldn't have been hurt this season, we'd have more games. Probably would have been bowl eligible. Woulda... coulda... shoulda...

I met Rob Ianello shortly after he was hired. Within 1 minute, I knew the guy was a jackass that would fail. Yet he made it through the UA interview process and got hired. I trust no AD.

I look at Notre Dame. Bottomless pockets. Resources out the wazoo. Best facilities. Tradition. And they hired Ty Willingham, Bob Davies and Charlie Weis. I trust no AD.

AD's are nothing special. There are bad ones, mediocre ones, and a few great ones. The great ones would be successful in any business. They're leaders. Not just because they played football. A solid COO or VP of Sales at any successful company, with zero football experience, could hire a great football coach at Akron. 

Maybe Arth is awesome. Maybe Williams is enamored with him for some other non-football reason (like UA was with Faust and Ianello from Notre Dame, or Thomas was with Brookhart - the "young up-and-comer" at the time). I don't know. We'd better interview at least two other candidates, and give them a serious look. 

I agree with ALL of this. It just boggles my mind how UA can just seem to continually screw it up in regards to their football program. I actually liked the Bowden hire at the time, but if I remember correctly, he wasn't even on their radar, and it wasn't until he showed interest in the job that they even gave him a thought. So now here they are, at the crossroads again, and they are considering Tom Arth? Good grief. I'm with you on the Getsy option. Hire him yesterday and be done with it!

10 minutes ago, Balsy said:

(shrug) There seems to be a lot of people excited about some guy who had success at some D-III college.

We only have three realistic options when it comes to hiring a head coach. An assistant or coordinator from a program that is on our level or better, a retread head coach that didn't pan out at a higher level, or an up-and-coming coach from the lower divisions. Since joining FBS, we had Faust (retread from Notre Dame), Owens (a high school coach), Brookhart (coordinator at Pitt), Ianello (assistant at Notre Dame), and Bowden. None of them worked out how we had hoped.

We have never hired a head coach from a lower division program. And yet, that seems to be where the highest numbers of successful mid-major coaches come from. The kind that come in, put up big win totals, and then get hired away to a P5 program like we've seen so many times at the top MAC programs.

2 minutes ago, ZachTheZip said:

We only have three realistic options when it comes to hiring a head coach. An assistant or coordinator from a program that is on our level or better, a retread head coach that didn't pan out at a higher level, or an up-and-coming coach from the lower divisions. Since joining FBS, we had Faust (retread from Notre Dame), Owens (a high school coach), Brookhart (coordinator at Pitt), Ianello (assistant at Notre Dame), and Bowden. None of them worked out how we had hoped.

We have never hired a head coach from a lower division program. And yet, that seems to be where the highest numbers of successful mid-major coaches come from. The kind that come in, put up big win totals, and then get hired away to a P5 program like we've seen so many times at the top MAC programs.

stop making sense!!!  and lets keep KD!!

• Haha 1

I listened to the discussion of our next HC on Big Time Sports. It further piqued my interest in Vince Kehres. I have believed all along that he is so close to the values of his dad that he would be a great hire for us. He is about legacy building and not a bigger paycheck and greater celebrity. He is like his dad in that he does not want to move his family. Akron is a perfect it. He knows the area, he has recruited but with no scholarships and he has consistantly won. When I was a director of sales for my company all the management courses I took stated, when hiring, past success is the single greatest predictor of future success. Vince has it and I would go after him with all I have. Next I'd target Getsy. To be truthful, Arth would not be on my radar because, altho' he won at JCU, his record at UTC does not show the success I want and casts too much doubt. 

Just my opinion. This is a critical hire for us because the football program affects all of athletics. We have to get it right.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, 72 Roo said:

I listened to the discussion of our next HC on Big Time Sports. It further piqued my interest in Vince Kehres. I have believed all along that he is so close to the values of his dad that he would be a great hire for us. He is about legacy building and not a bigger paycheck and greater celebrity. He is like his dad in that he does not want to move his family. Akron is a perfect it. He knows the area, he has recruited but with no scholarships and he has consistantly won. When I was a director of sales for my company all the management courses I took stated, when hiring, past success is the single greatest predictor of future success. Vince has it and I would go after him with all I have. Next I'd target Getsy. To be truthful, Arth would not be on my radar because, altho' he won at JCU, his record at UTC does not show the success I want and casts too much doubt. 

Just my opinion. This is a critical hire for us because the football program affects all of athletics. We have to get it right.

I just listened to that as well. Kehres is the one D3 coach who would interest me and for the reasons you mentioned. He has the pedigree and experience for knowing what it takes to win. I Truly believe he could get this program to a New Years six bowl much like Western Michigan did a few years ago.

30 minutes ago, 94zipgrad said:

http://sports.usatoday.com/ncaa/salaries/football/assistant

Has Luke Getsy at $600,000.  Think that takes him out?

FSU's OC, Walt Bell,  took close to a $100k pay cut to be the head coach at UMASS. I think if he really wanted to he would come and we could offer a package that makes it worth it.

4 hours ago, Kangaroo Craig said:

I agree with ALL of this. It just boggles my mind how UA can just seem to continually screw it up in regards to their football program. I actually liked the Bowden hire at the time, but if I remember correctly, he wasn't even on their radar, and it wasn't until he showed interest in the job that they even gave him a thought. So now here they are, at the crossroads again, and they are considering Tom Arth? Good grief. I'm with you on the Getsy option. Hire him yesterday and be done with it!

This hire, regardless of who it is, will show LW's philosophy. It's apparent it will be a young "up and comer" who's tenure will be dictated by how quick the success will be.

10 hours ago, 72 Roo said:

I'm with you on Kehres, '72.  I used to work near Alliance and so Mount's football success has been fascinating to me for 2 decades now.  I've often wondered (and I mean, basically every year for the past 20 years) how a Kehres would translate to D-1 & UA in particular.

Here's a great article from the Baltimore Sun about the kind of disciplined culture Kehres (and his dad) have built at Mount.  I'd love to have a disciplined culture like that at UA.

If UA hired Kehres he wouldn't have to waste any time assembling a staff.

Kehres and all five of his full-time assistant coaches are former Purple Raiders players, and all but one of their coaching interns is a graduate, too. Kehres said that continuity has helped the staff identify and pursue the characteristics they seek in potential recruits.