Possible Candidates

LoyalZIP

33 minutes ago, Cykron said:

For now.  As a lower tier Big 12 team, we are worried about what will happen when the TV "grant of rights" expires.  I think it is 2020.  There may be a major reset at that time.  For instance, if the whole TV deal switches more to a subscription basis to watch individual teams, then Iowa State might need national support to keep its money flowing in.  Hard to imagine that many people around the country paying to see Iowa State (other than the Akron fans that we have won over!). 

This reeks of 1st world problems. MAC teams get about a million per team off their TV deal and the only reason we get that much is because we sacrificed our Saturday games for Tuesday and Wednesday games.

On 12/6/2018 at 9:02 PM, 94zipgrad said:

http://sports.usatoday.com/ncaa/salaries/football/assistant

Has Luke Getsy at $600,000.  Think that takes him out?

Didn't realize he was making that much. Shows us what a totally different world P5 football is compared to us peons in G5. Getsy checked almost all of the boxes I was looking for except previous HC experience. But, he has had so much experience at so many different levels including as a high level assistant that this job would seem to be a great first shot for him. But,if that $600,000 figure is correct it would be real difficult to take the pay cut he would have to take to come here.

Given the AD's background I am wondering if he is looking for that varied experience,college,professional,high level assistant,offensive guy for his next hire. Wouldn't rule out anybody who checks those boxes and is familiar with the football terrain in Ohio and Western Penna.

13 hours ago, ewbrooman1 said:

So the leading candidate LW has zeroed in on is a coach that moved up two levels and took over a 36-16 team over 4 years and turned them into a 9-13 team that finished this year losing 5 of its last 7 games? That warrants a jump to another level? Can we look some more?

Lance Leopold moved from Wisconsin WhiteWater(the other giant in D-III) to UB in 2015. If I read correctly his record has been 5-7, 2-10, 6-6 and 10-2 regular season. As we know went to the MAC Champ game this year. Point? Could a super successful D-III coach make a successful jump? Appears possible. Probably has more to do with the person and his ability to adapt to a more complex environment than anything else. Still not necessarily the way I would go but,not out of the question.

• Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, Lee Adams said:

Probably has more to do with the person and his ability to adapt to a more complex environment than anything else. Still not necessarily the way I would go but,not out of the question.

Yes. Winners win, losers lose. Now, is the MU success lately because of him? Debatable since he took over such a successful program, but he certainly hasn't screwed it up.

13 minutes ago, Lee Adams said:

Lance Leopold moved from Wisconsin WhiteWater(the other giant in D-III) to UB in 2015. If I read correctly his record has been 5-7, 2-10, 6-6 and 10-2 regular season. As we know went to the MAC Champ game this year. Point? Could a super successful D-III coach make a successful jump? Appears possible. Probably has more to do with the person and his ability to adapt to a more complex environment than anything else. Still not necessarily the way I would go but,not out of the question.

DIII is the nuts and bolts of collegiate football. No athletic scholarships (wink wink), limited budgets, etc. Bringing success to a DIII program might prove to be more of an indictment of the coach than at any other level. 

1 hour ago, Lee Adams said:

I think Matt Campbell would give much credit for his success to his foundation at Mount Union.  

4 hours ago, kreed5120 said:

This reeks of 1st world problems. MAC teams get about a million per team off their TV deal and the only reason we get that much is because we sacrificed our Saturday games for Tuesday and Wednesday games.

College football itself pretty much reeks of First World Problems!

• Like 1

I'm surprised at how quiet this search has been. 

I combed through some Mississippi fan sites today to see if they have said anything about Getsy's name being brought up in our coaching search .... I'm not sure they know he is. lol

One surprising note though is they did have a topic on Buffalo talking about their football and basketball seasons. Seemed kinda random. 

Kehres can interview during the season, but it is considered classless and a betrayal of the coach's (his) current team. Once the season is over our AD, if he wants to talk to him, calls the Mount AD and asks permission to talk to Vince. It is almost always given. As for Jacobs, now that his season is over, we can begin the process with him if we want. I was once skeptical of this search, but as it goes on I am becoming more confident we will make a good hire.

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, clarkwgriswold said:

I heard that the Notre Dame College coach is interviewing for the position.

I think I like this guy better than Kehres to be honest. He turned Notre Dame around pretty quickly, has some D-1 experience, still should have local connections. I'd be happy with this

1 hour ago, zippy5 said:

I think I like this guy better than Kehres to be honest. He turned Notre Dame around pretty quickly, has some D-1 experience, still should have local connections. I'd be happy with this

As Hannibal Lecter says, we covet "what we see every day."  Lol.  So I've wondered for about 20 years what a Kehres could do at UA.  But in reading a little about Notre Dame College's  Mike Jacobs I'd be really excited about him.

Here is Mike Jacobs' bio from Notre Dame College.

• Like 1